Options

International Cricket 2014

Comments

• Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    I don't accept that bhav , not when he is so far over , he must have been able to feel how much his arm was straightening

I come from an old school golf background where you are expected to report yourself if you even accidentally break any rules so just cant abide cheats

agree that the spinelessness of the ICC allowed it to go on for so long tho

Surely the fact that he bowled the same way in testing that he did in matches suggests he didn't realise he was breaking the rules. If he'd been knowingly cheating all this time then he would have done anything he could to bowl with a straighter arm in testing.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Surely the fact that he bowled the same way in testing that he did in matches suggests he didn't realise he was breaking the rules. If he'd been knowingly cheating all this time then he would have done anything he could to bowl with a straighter arm in testing.

not if he thought he could get away with it , which he has been doing for 5 years now
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting stuff.........................as a Worcs fan I'm intrigued...........Worcs have barely won a game since SA returned home, if we get promoted will it be considered illegal? He won games on his own, will there be points deductions? Interesting stuff!

Also wil the ICC please have a look at Mitchell Johnson's "quicker effort" ball..............
  • Options
    amar1286amar1286 Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Just saw this report. Disgraceful behaviour from some

The family of Moeen Ali have described the booing of him during the one-off T20 between England and India at Edgbaston as "disgraceful," after an official complaint from a spectator led police to classing it as a "non-crime hate-related incident".

A complaint of racially motivated abuse was made by a spectator at the game but, after an investigation, the police have concluded that no crime was committed. Police are unable to take further action without a complaint from Moeen who does not want to pursue the issue.
    Instead they have recorded the episode as a "hate-related incident" and suggested they would need more evidence to take the matter further. The spokesman confirmed that police officers did not review TV footage.
    "If further action was to be taken, the victim would need to make a complaint," a spokesman for West Midlands Police told ESPNcricinfo. "While the booing was perceived by the complainant as being racially motivated, booing is not, in itself a crime. Had someone been shouting an offensive term, it would be different."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/779117.html

I was at the game and noticed the boo'ing towards Moeen Ali , Everyone is making a big fuss over this just because he is a muslim yet there was a lot of boo'ing towards Ravi Bopara …. :confused:
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    You have to wonder why Ajmal didnt bowl with a straight arm, like most/all the other people that go for testing do? Then revert back to the 40 degree in a match?

The whole 15 degree was a stupid rule. What was wrong with having to keep a straight arm? Why cant we go back to that, especially now that Murali has retired?
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    ACU that can't actually happen since Ajmal has to mirror his Test match action with the same speeds.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    ACU that can't actually happen since Ajmal has to mirror his Test match action with the same speeds.

Speeds don't really matter though, it's how much they rip it. Someone on another forum was suggesting they may have started using the rev counter to make sure they're spinning it in the same way.

If that has happened (pure speculation) then it may explain how he passed it before but not now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rev counter a good point might explain why ICC wasn't happy with the process 2-3 years ago.

But surely they had that information before Rev counter been used by boards for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rev counter a good point might explain why ICC wasn't happy with the process 2-3 years ago.

But surely they had that information before Rev counter been used by boards for years.

Who knows, it's been a mess TBH. Yet we seem to be coming out of it.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England central contracts 2014-15: Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Incremental contracts 2014-15: Ravi Bopara (Essex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), James Tredwell (Kent).
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel a bit sorry for him. He must have seen Murali getting away with it for years.
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    England central contracts 2014-15: Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Incremental contracts 2014-15: Ravi Bopara (Essex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), James Tredwell (Kent).

The message is that there will be no real changes next year. Far too many borderline picks have got contacts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

No real surprises, means little though, sure there'll be a fair few not named there play for England in one form or the other.

There can't be tgoo many that will play in all forms nowadays Ali, Buttler and Broad really. Plunkers if he stays fit might actually have a chance strangely.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Former New Zealand allrounder Chris Cairns expects to be charged with perjury in the UK. Cairns said he had been notified by the Crown Prosecution Service of their intention to lay the charges on September 25 and has stated he will provide full cooperation to the authorities.

"I can confirm that I have now been notified by the Crown Prosecution Service in the UK that it is their intention to lay charges against me on 25 September for perjury," Cairns said in a statement.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/current/story/779967.html
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Switched over to watcha bit of the Champions League T20 on Eurosport

12 needed off the last 2 balls and Mitchell Marsh put them both into the crowd for 6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And then Akshar Patel get 23 off 9 balls to win the game.
    Akshar Patel might be the better version of Jadeja.
    Both Limited with the ball but somehow always gets wickets but Akshar Patel looks to have a better technique with the bat.

Jadeja has been an embarrassment had high hopes for him last year, India backed the wrong Spinning All rounder Ashwin would do far better than him at number 7.
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    A really good couple of games today on the Champions League T20.

I have to admit Kings Xi Punjab have always been my favourite IPL team. Their bowling attack though needs abit more strengh in depth and they do miss Mitchell Johnson when injured, i have been inpressed with both Sandeep Sharma & Akshar Patel. At least the batting always digs them out of trouble,

Only thing missing at the moment is the lovely flag waving Preity Zinta ( though i do understand there is some legal issues filed against another co-owner ) maybe thats why she's not been present at the last two CLT20 Kings Xi games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadly Sandeep Sharma is injured till December.
    I admire Sandeep sharma as well remember saying he reminds me of Anderson in the 2012 Under 19 world cup.
    He was great to watch him confuse the poor under 19 lads with Inswing/Outswing with impeccable control and no change in the Actions.
    Oddly india always produced bowlers with good wrist and ability to swing the ball but usually pace lets them down but Sandeep Sharma looks nippy like B kumar so he could be a handful in future England tours.

Can you imagine facing
    B Kumar
    P Kumar
    Sandeep Sharma
    today at lords would be nightmare for the batsman.

Scary thing about Sandeep Sharma is that he could also bat, I believe he was an batsman so he could be another Ashwin.
    I reckon India/England or even Australia are close to fielding a side with 11 batsman although you could argue Australia did at Trent Bridge last year.

Quite scary that 1 in 3 bowlers coming through in India can all bat now similar things are happening in England and Australia just matter of time before we get an all rounder generation again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half time in the football, so flicked over to see the cricket and they showed a montage of missed chances by KKR. loads of what looked very straight forward ones and then Narine misses a skyer off his own bowling

very poor
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    Half time in the football, so flicked over to see the cricket and they showed a montage of missed chances by KKR. loads of what looked very straight forward ones and then Narine misses a skyer off his own bowling

very poor

Lahore Lions were just as bad in the catching department and their fielding was awful, though i have to give them credit with the bowling towards the end.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ECB confirm that Cook will lead the one day team through to the world cup
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    ECB confirm that Cook will lead the one day team through to the world cup

we really need to get away from having the test captain be the ODI captain too when he is patently not suited to the format
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems odd to leave out Gary Ballance. Wonder if he's being punished for something as I'm surprised by his omission for cricketing reasons
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    It seems odd to leave out Gary Ballance. Wonder if he's being punished for something as I'm surprised by his omission for cricketing reasons

he hasn't really been that impressive in ODIs for us so far , i would have taken him to SL tho , if nothing else i think he needs more experience playing spin in those conditions as for me that's his big weakness still
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tough on Ballance, especially with Cook & Bell being selected despite obvious limitations.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please let them actually play Taylor this time, the man has earned his chance.

Good to see Ravi back, Agnew said that the selectors have effectively admitted that they made a mistake leaving him out of the India series.

Of course all the good selections are in vain if we persist in playing Cook and Bell (and Root) based on them being good Test batsmen.
This discussion has been closed.