Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    2-1 to the Saints... Really poor performance at the moment...
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Hope we can come back :(
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I think we've finally woken up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe too late?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like we lost this one sadly (and AW's record of never losing a 3rd round tie goes). Lets move on.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh well :(
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Can't think of the last time Arsenal made an early exit in the cup? 2002??

Nothing to scream and shout about. The focus was always going to be on the league.
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame to be out of a competition we could have easily won, but we move on and concentrate on the league.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of those lads will barely get another game this season.
    You'd think they'd be busting a gut.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Just got back. Really disappointing performance from Rosicky and Podolski who hardly sprinted or made a run.

Alexis played well and was unlucky not to score two.

What's the concensus with the 2nd goal? Wonder goal or should Ospina have done better? Shot was from a long way out.
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really wish we'd sold Podolski. Offered absolutely nothing as usual.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Just got back. Really disappointing performance from Rosicky and Podolski who hardly sprinted or made a run.

Alexis played well and was unlucky not to score two.

What's the concensus with the 2nd goal? Wonder goal or should Ospina have done better? Shot was from a long way out.

I thought Ospina should have done better. The ball seemed to go straight through him. And let's face it, if Almunia had let that goal in we'd have slaughtered him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Can't think of the last time Arsenal made an early exit in the cup? 2002??

Nothing to scream and shout about. The focus was always going to be on the league.

Yeah the last time we lost at this stage was 2002 against Sunderland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought Ospina should have done better. The ball seemed to go straight through him. And let's face it, if Almunia had let that goal in we'd have slaughtered him.

Watched it again and you're right. He should have got at least a hand to it. Thought it had a bigger/sudden curl on it but was kinda straight at him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbEmHffBuaM

Podolski is getting slaughtered for his "performance" last night. He needs to stop taking so many pics on Instagram when training and put his head down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Onwards and upwards I guess, we have more important matters like Saturday, but we need to perform in the CL as well (the next game must be must win).
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Southampton continue with their away goals average then.

As Wenger says, it's useful for giving younger players experience, but that's about it really. When you weigh it up it can bog you down in the later stages.

Roll on Saturday evening!
  • Options
    Ryan_BestRyan_Best Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    willrelf92 wrote: »
    Shame to be out of a competition we could have easily won, but we move on and concentrate on the league.
    I think Premier League winners Manchester City and runners up Liverpool would have a say in that. Although in the end, it was Southampton who had a say in it.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    Southampton continue with their away goals average then.

As Wenger says, it's useful for giving younger players experience, but that's about it really. When you weigh it up it can bog you down in the later stages.

Roll on Saturday evening!

Quite so.

I saw some quiet sad Gooners on the tube last night and assumed we were beaten at home in the Champions League.

I wasn't surprised to see the result when I got home but delighted it wasn't in anything serious.

I had (like most people) forgotten about the League Cup.
  • Options
    guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What everyone view on last night game? its a shame we gone out as this is still a cup .Which wenger never won.. Some of the younger players prob wont get much of a change now. Should done better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    guttridge wrote: »
    What everyone view on last night game? its a shame we gone out as this is still a cup .Which wenger never won.. Some of the younger players prob wont get much of a change now. Should done better.

Some people are saying the League Cup doesn't matter too much but the bigger picture is that this competition gives our fringe players competitive minutes on the pitch rather than playing in the reserves. Now that we're knocked out, a 10 minute cameo here and there in the PL/CL isn't going to help anyone let alone the likes of Campbell or Podolski who should make every opportunity they have to impress. FA Cup starts all the way in January.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are saying the League Cup doesn't matter too much but the bigger picture is that this competition gives our fringe players competitive minutes on the pitch rather than playing in the reserves. Now that we're knocked out, a 10 minute cameo here and there in the PL/CL isn't going to help anyone let alone the likes of Campbell or Podolski who should make every opportunity they have to impress. FA Cup starts all the way in January.

That's true.

It matters because it hinders our ability because of a lack of match practice to win when it matters in the PL / CL.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Good points, I agree. A cup is still a cup and its disappointing we were knocked out :( But I dont want to go OTT with disappointment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not bothered about being out of the League Cup per se - but I agree that being out of it deprives the fringe players, who will be needed in injury season, serious match practice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not bothered about being out of the League Cup per se - but I agree that being out of it deprives the fringe players, who will be needed in injury season, serious match practice.

Yep, just limits the trust Wenger has in these players to take the place of a tired player that is on the edge of suffering an injury when they're not in form or not showing what they're capable of in these games.
This discussion has been closed.