Is it wrong to like Pete Doherty?

HayleyXDHayleyXD Posts: 1,221
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I mean aside from his drug taking he's written some really good songs and he's always seemed to have time for his fans.

Is he really as bad as people make out?

Yes he takes drugs but drug taking doesn't automatically mean you're a bad person.

Comments

• ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Well I'm a bit tired of his "poet in the gutter" act. But he and the Libertines wrote some amazing songs.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    No, it's up to you who you like.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw him a couple of times on Jonathon Ross and thought he came over as very nice.......:)
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have NOTHING BUT LOVE for the Libertines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFJVM_LMp0A
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the reason people believe he's a bad person is because he's an absolute mess, a tabloid fixture, a drug/drunk driver, has a history of violence and gets off being sent down all the time when a normal person would not, not simply because he does drugs. That's not to say he IS a bad person, but I don't think he's the innocent little flower being trampled on by squares like a lot of Libertines and Babyshambles fans think...

I feel sorry for the rest of the Libertines, but I don't care about Pete. He dug his own grave as far as I'm concerned and I am pretty pro-drugs.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xe2a2 wrote: »
    I think the reason people believe he's a bad person is because he's an absolute mess, a tabloid fixture, a drug/drunk driver, has a history of violence and gets off being sent down all the time when a normal person would not, not simply because he does drugs. That's not to say he IS a bad person, but I don't think he's the innocent little flower being trampled on by squares like a lot of Libertines and Babyshambles fans think...

I feel sorry for the rest of the Libertines, but I don't care about Pete. He dug his own grave as far as I'm concerned and I am pretty pro-drugs.

I agree. I don't excuse the drug taking and the effect it had on the band at all, but will always appreciate the music. Off the drugs I don't think he's a bad person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the interview he did with Kirsty Wark again last week and like the first time I was just as impressed with his intelligence and how he handled himself. Such a pity that drugs have that great a hold on him.Without them I believe he has the talent to be huge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love him. Love Babyshambles. Love The Libertines most of all.

I will admire and support whoever I choose and I really don't care what anyone else thinks. Pete Doherty's personal life is nothing to do with me. I love him, I love Carl and I love their music.
  • slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HayleyXD wrote: »
    I mean aside from his drug taking he's written some really good songs and he's always seemed to have time for his fans.

Is he really as bad as people make out?

Yes he takes drugs but drug taking doesn't automatically mean you're a bad person.

No. But glamourising his drug taking to young impressionable fans when he knows how seedy and horrible and difficult to get off they are is, I would say, pretty shitty. As is driving around off your face with no licence or insurance putting other peoples lives and property at risk.

I have known very well a number of people who've really struggled with drug addiction themselves and have seen just how low it takes you so it does irritate me that he's some kind of poster boy for drug taking and seems to get off with most of what he does pretty lightly.

It also frustrates me that he has the money and resources to get into rehab (which the vast majority of addicts don't) but he chooses not to. When you've actually seen the reality of how horrible, sordid, seedy and desperate these types of addictions are and the extent to which it destroys people it's hard to have a lot of sympathy for him.

I'm surprised he's still alive really, I guess his money must give him access to better gear than most poor sods have to put up with.
  • Kenzie KuddlesKenzie Kuddles Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Is it wrong to like Pete Doherty?

Yes.:)