Options

Why is christmas so long in the UK?

LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry about the clumsy title but after calling clinic and being told it was shut , needing a particular item but shop being closed and reading a thread about News Night being off air cos it's CHRISTMAS...I am wondering when christmas actually starts and finishes in the UK?!
In other countries you tend to celebrate for two days before returning to normal.

Do you think christmas lasts too long ? Or do you wish it was like this all of the time and I should quit moaning? (I moan a lot :o )

Comments

• Options
    CyanidePillCyanidePill Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    We don't chill out enough in the UK. Thus, I reckon it's a good thing.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its these in-between days from Christmas to New Year that are such a drag, so many people arent going to work in my road its like a car park, get back to work you lazy b'stards!
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    Here in Spain it's just one day - and nothing particularly special at that!

Absolutely none of the hype and panic that we're used to in the UK. We went food shopping last Thursday about 3pm. Ours was the only car in the supermarket car park! I had to take a photo to show my friends back in Nottingham struggling in the mayhem!

Vidit.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I like it. I've had a gentle couple of early turns this week, thanks to people having time off. Next week I'll be on nights when they all go back to work. :D

Christmas 'Holidays' (that's an Americanism if ever I heard one) start properly on Christmas Day and don't end until January 2 (or January 3 if in Scotland), or the Monday after January 2 - whichever comes last. However, it could be argued that it starts on Christmas Eve.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    Christmas finishes on the 6th of January, however for most it finishes on the 4th.
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, apparently in the states they have a week off at xmas? Daughters friends dad works for an American firm & he's bored out his brain as he has an enforced holiday for a week.
    I wish it lasted longer! I only got a couple of days off.
    I think this year it was only between xmas day & tuesday our Sainsburys opening times were disrupted.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suki c wrote: »

Absolutely none of the hype and panic that we're used to in the UK. We went food shopping last Thursday about 3pm. Ours was the only car in the supermarket car park! I had to take a photo to show my friends back in Nottingham struggling in the mayhem!

Vidit.jpg

Eh? In Spain the Christmas festive period is actually longer than the UK's. It's three weeks; Christmas Eve/Day, New Year, and then the Three Kings on the night of the 5th of January.

And of course it's very special. Presents arent exchanged until the 6th of January, which means Christmas Day itself is more about being in the company of family and friends, and good food of course.
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suki c wrote: »

Vidit.jpg

Is it? I thought Spain had a very traditional attitude towards christmas although christmas day isn't the big blow out it is here in the UK. Do they not celebrate it over a longer period instead? Your picture reminds me of a scene from "Dawn of the Dead" film when the car park is deserted!

Well, apparently in the states they have a week off at xmas? Daughters friends dad works for an American firm & he's bored out his brain as he has an enforced holiday for a week.

My sibling's American treat Thanksgiving as a much bigger holiday than christmas:confused:
    Maybe it depends on the industry you work in?
    British people need more time off work but I do think we go overboard at this time of year! Bah:o
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this year it was only between xmas day & tuesday our Sainsburys opening times were disrupted.

Where do you get that idea from???? Over in the USA, they only have Christmas Day off and then its "business as usual" the next day cos they dont have Boxing Day over there like we do!! They may have had an extra day off on Monday or the previous Friday in lieu of the fact that Christmas Day was on a weekend day this year. And even New Years Day isnt even a Public Holiday as such per se!! In fact it all depends on how much time firms want to give their workers off and, more often than not, if workers want to take more time off during Christmas cos they are going away, then they have to take the time off out of their annual vacation leave, which is not a lot compared to this country!! On average its only about 2 weeks, compared to our 5 or 6 weeks annual leave!!

In fact this past Christmas, due to the economy, there were some large department stores and grocery stores that were even open on Christmas Day!!:eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Where do you get that idea from???? Over in the USA, they only have Christmas Day off and then its "business as usual" the next day cos they dont have Boxing Day over there like we do!! They may have had an extra day off on Monday or the previous Friday in lieu of the fact that Christmas Day was on a weekend day this year. And even New Years Day isnt even a Public Holiday as such per se!! In fact it all depends on how much time firms want to give their workers off and, more often than not, if workers want to take more time off during Christmas cos they are going away, then they have to take the time off out of their annual vacation leave, which is not a lot compared to this country!! On average its only about 2 weeks, compared to our 5 or 6 weeks annual leave!!

In fact this past Christmas, due to the economy, there were some large department stores and grocery stores that were even open on Christmas Day!!:eek::eek::eek:

We have the local co op open on xmas day? On account of them not celebrating xmas I think. Although they could only sell booze between 12 & 3.
    I didn't think it at all tbh, it was my daughters friends dad that works for an American firm that said the Yanks have a week off. Not sure where that came from, from them then!
    Half his luck! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member

The newsagent two minutes from my dad's house is open every Christmas Day. The staff and manager are principally white British, so they probably celebrate Christmas, but open anyway. They must do some decent business, because they've been doing it for a good few years to date.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    There are lots of jobs that require people to work over Christmas for those who don't want it off. I like being able to go into a state of almost hibernation during the winter, and only wish we got more time off. Maybe November to February?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    Sorry about the clumsy title but after calling clinic and being told it was shut , needing a particular item but shop being closed and reading a thread about News Night being off air cos it's CHRISTMAS...I am wondering when christmas actually starts and finishes in the UK?!
    In other countries you tend to celebrate for two days before returning to normal.

Do you think christmas lasts too long ? Or do you wish it was like this all of the time and I should quit moaning? (I moan a lot :o )

I was at the doctors today, all doctors were in and the whole of town was open as normal, as was the pharmacy and supermarket. Buses were also running normally and most places look as if they were open.

Do you live somewhere really small?

Oddly, the only thing which seems to have taken a break for Xmas is the kebab van (hasn't been out since the day before Xmas eve) :confused: and that's run by a pair of guys originally from the Middle East.

This country needs to take a chill pill so bad so yeah, I think you should stop moaning! :D:p More holidays and relaxing needed! :)
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps Christmas just seems long this year as opposed to Christmas in general because it fell on a weekend and had more bank holidays?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

5-6 weeks? Maybe if your a 100k exec :p

All of the jobs I've ever had have been 20 days a year.. 3 weeks or so.

Worked for an American company that have 25 days and an extra day off on your birthday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the 12 days of Christmas, it's traditional! Lots of people do work in between Christmas and New year anyway. Shops are usually open, even on bank holidays.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    The Christmas period in the UK usually starts after Halloween and ends around early to mid January. It's totally crazy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    We are way too stressed in the UK. Our pace of life seems overly quick. Everyone is in a rush and no one seems to have time to relax any more, and if they do they need to spend money to do it.

I am looking forward to starting my new job which is only 35 hours per week, as opposed to the 40 hours in my previous job. However, the commute will take 50 minutes on public transport, as opposed to being a 10 minute drive usually :rolleyes:
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs cutting back.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No we don't.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    5-6 weeks? Maybe if your a 100k exec :p

All of the jobs I've ever had have been 20 days a year.. 3 weeks or so.

Worked for an American company that have 25 days and an extra day off on your birthday.

I get over 30 days leave a year and I'm certainly not on anything like 100k. And no I'm not in the public sector before the anti-public sector ranters start climbing onto their soap boxes.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We in the UK have one of the fewest amount of public holidays. People whinge and moan about the length of the Christmas holiday but seem to forget that between the start of June and Christmas we only have one public holiday.

Public holidays can actually be good for the economy. Think about how many people go away for the extended break.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    We in the UK have one of the fewest amount of public holidays. People whinge and moan about the length of the Christmas holiday but seem to forget that between the start of June and Christmas we only have one public holiday.

Public holidays can actually be good for the economy. Think about how many people go away for the extended break.

Compared to America we have loads.. We just have the smallest in the EU I think. I believe in the USA there's no statutory holiday allowance whatsoever, so it's down to the companies to give them out, and something like 25% of the workforce don't get paid holidays :eek:

I think it's working hours in the UK which need sorting out. I mean most of us work 8, 9, 10 hour days a day but we are so inefficient. I was working 12 hour days in my last job.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes Christmas feels even longer if it falls on a weekend, because that bank holiday has to carry over into the week. Another thing that makes it feel longer is shop decorations, which can go up two months in advance, plus all the Christmas sales.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over Christmas/New Year this year there are 3 'extra' Bank Holidays because Christmas Day, Boxing Day & New Years' Day fall on weekends, so the 27th & 28th Dec & the 3rd Jan will be holidays (I believe in Scotland that the 4th is a holiday too?)

I work in a 24/7 call centre and they're open over Christmas & New Year. Although because one site is closing they actually shut the doors on 25th/26th and will be doing the same on 1st/2nd with the other site & homeworkers working instead. This year I had 24th-26th off, and the 28th, and I will also be off this weekend.

The company my boyfriend works for (in the building trade) used to close for 10 days over Christmas/New Year but this year he went back yesterday, but only for a short day, and will be doing the same short hours tomorrow. He's off on Monday and then back as normal.