Why does the USA have three of Golf's Majors tournaments?

Peit LewisPeit Lewis Posts: 85
Forum Member
I am not the biggest fan of golf in the world, but I am an avid follower of the major competitions.

But what I am puzzled about is why three of golf's four Grand Slam Majors tournaments - US Masters; US Open; and the USPGA, are permanently based in the USA, when the sport was not invented over there - hence The Open in the UK being rightly a permanent major itself.

With the ongoing success of players and tournaments from other parts of the world, should the international golfing authorities now strongly consider holding a permanent major that would be held in another part of the world, which would be rotational every year amongst different continents - such as Europe/Africa; Asia/Oceania; and The Americas.

Possibly this would be a fifth major, or even eventually replace either the US Open or USPGA.

P.S. Congratulations to Rory McIlroy on winning his fourth 'Major'.
:):confused:

Comments

• CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because an American thought it up.

The Grand Slam used to be the US & British Opens and US & British Amateur Championships.

According to the Wikipedia link it was Arnold Palmer and his journalist friend Bob Drum who made the PGA & Masters part of the modern Grand Slam instead of the amateur events:
    But that attitude started to change in 1960, when Arnold Palmer, at the peak of his popularity, traveled to Scotland to play in the Open on the Old Course at St. Andrews. He had already won the Masters and the U.S. Open that year, and according to his autobiography, "A Golfer's Life," on the trans-Atlantic flight he and his reporter friend, Bob Drum of the Pittsburgh Press, came up with the idea that adding the British Open and PGA Championship titles that summer would constitute a modern Grand Slam. The old Grand Slam, won only by Mr. Jones in 1930, consisted of the U.S. Open and U.S. Amateur and the British Open and British Amateur. Mr. Drum spread the notion among the gathered media and it caught on.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB121641207227465979
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peit Lewis wrote: »
    I am not the biggest fan of golf in the world, but I am an avid follower of the major competitions.

But what I am puzzled about is why three of golf's four Grand Slam Majors tournaments - US Masters; US Open; and the USPGA, are permanently based in the USA, when the sport was not invented over there - hence The Open in the UK being rightly a permanent major itself.

With the ongoing success of players and tournaments from other parts of the world, should the international golfing authorities now strongly consider holding a permanent major that would be held in another part of the world, which would be rotational every year amongst different continents - such as Europe/Africa; Asia/Oceania; and The Americas.

Possibly this would be a fifth major, or even eventually replace either the US Open or USPGA.

P.S. Congratulations to Rory McIlroy on winning his fourth 'Major'.
    :):confused:

The PGA tour is the richest and where the best golfers make the most money, so most of the majors and WGC events are played there. The players championship at Sawgrass is the tournament usually regarded as the "fifth major".

I do think though that either one of the US Open or USPGA should be played on a links course the way Golf is supposed to.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    The PGA tour is the richest and where the best golfers make the most money, so most of the majors and WGC events are played there. The players championship at Sawgrass is the tournament usually regarded as the "fifth major".

I do think though that either one of the US Open or USPGA should be played on a links course the way Golf is supposed to.

The TPC will never become an official 5th major so anybody winning the Players cannot be classed as a winner of a major or it being added it to their tally.

Same with anybody winning Miami Masters tennis being called the 5th grand slam. Does not make them a winner of a grand slam tennis event or add to their grand slam tally.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    The TPC will never become an official 5th major so anybody winning the Players cannot be classed as a winner of a major or it being added it to their tally.

Same with anybody winning Miami Masters tennis being called the 5th grand slam. Does not make them a winner of a grand slam tennis event or add to their grand slam tally.

I thought Indian Wells was the "fifth Slam".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

Winning Indian Wells Masters is just like winning Miami Masters. You add 0 grand slam titles to your grand slam tally. An Olympics tennis gold is also 0 grand slam titles added to your grand slam tally. No matter how much people elevated somebody winning a Miami Masters or Olympics singles gold like that person had actually won a grand slam title.

Steffi Graf after winning the 1988 olympics women's singles gold was hailed for winning the golden slam. But it was not a grand slam title she won in Seoul. Though the reaction made people think she had just added a further grand slam title to her collection when it was completely wrong.

If Indian Wells Masters is the biggest ATP tournament you've ever won and you win it 3 times, you're still a 0 times Grand Slam champion.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Why are you stating the obvious like somehow people don't know that.

I've never ever seen a single person add any other tournament, or Olympic gold, to somebody's grand slam list, neither in tennis or golf. Nobody claims Steffi Graf won five slams in her golden slam year, she won the grand slam and an Olympic gold, hence the name.

As for the OP, in this day and age where we have plenty of other world class golf courses in places that aren't America I'm not sure the need for three in any single country. Ditch the USPGA and have some sort of rotating course world open.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1977 was the only year a player could win 5 legitimate grand slam tournaments as the Australian Open moved from January to December so there were 2 held in that calender year (and none held in 1986 when they moved it back to January).