Options

Joss Stone (remember her) Pays £10Million To EMI

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
Forum Member
Joss Stone the singer has reportedly paid £10,000,000 (10 million pounds) to her record label EMI to buy her way out of her contract.

She apparently just wanted to live a normal life in Devon where she grew up.

Is that a big or small price to pay?

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That happened in 2009 ..

I think it was more to do with the fact she wanted to make her own music and not be tied to EMI. Since then, she's released two albums of her own and one under the "Superheavy" banner - all of which have been quite brilliant.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im surprised she has £10m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im surprised she has £10m.

She may well have it now after the albums she released sold well, but back in 2009, she didn't.
    She’s on her way, in her car. For someone who supposedly ranks 27th on Britain’s Young Rich List with a reported £10 million fortune, this is pretty unusual.

In fact, three years ago Stone gave all her money back to her record company, EMI, to get out of her contract and win her fight for artistic freedom.

‘I don’t have that kind of money,’ she says.

‘It all went when I left EMI. I was flat even, down to nothing. I wasn’t even down to a million in the bank.

'What I had left was my house and three flats in Exeter and that was it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2172658/Joss-Stone-I-gave-away-fortune-soul-back.html#ixzz2mvyNxXkQ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this years ago and i admire her a lot for it, to allow creative freeedom. It shows all that money does not bother her. She has said several times she is living comfortably the way she is now

I am a huge fan, but her music has gotten even better since she got rid of being controlled by a label. LP1 is stunning.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Good decision to buy herself out of a contract where she sold millions of albums and now sells a few thousand.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good decision to buy herself out of a contract where she sold millions of albums and now sells a few thousand.

It is if she is making the music she wants to make and obviously she is not motivated by money.

But she will hardly be broke with a house and three flats and royalties rolling in
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    It is if she is making the music she wants to make and obviously she is not motivated by money.

But she will hardly be broke with a house and three flats and royalties rolling in

That's one way of looking at it. She's very young to last her whole life without any income though.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joss Stone stated she hated the way the label treated her. She isn't too fond of her first two albums because she had little control and it was all about the labels. When she did her third album, the label got arsey because of the sound change and they got even more arsey when died her hair read

Then she recorded her fourth album Color me free and when she presented it to the label, they refused to release it because she never told them about recording it. She recorded it with a few producers and songwriters she likes in just a week and said it was never planned and she did it on a whim. The label delayed the album by a year and did release it, but refused to finance any promotion or any music videos. So she bought herself out.

She was too controlled by the label and never felt she could breathe. Very few artists wouldn't dare do what she did. She may not be selling millions of albums, but she is doing music that she wants to make and is still able to live with what she makes. I refuse to see how anyone could look down on her for doing that. She deserves credit and applause.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I think it's ridiculous she has had to pay that much to get out of her contract, totally not right!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joss Stone stated she hated the way the label treated her. She isn't too fond of her first two albums because she had little control and it was all about the labels. When she did her third album, the label got arsey because of the sound change and they got even more arsey when died her hair read

Then she recorded her fourth album Color me free and when she presented it to the label, they refused to release it because she never told them about recording it. She recorded it with a few producers and songwriters she likes in just a week and said it was never planned and she did it on a whim. The label delayed the album by a year and did release it, but refused to finance any promotion or any music videos. So she bought herself out.

She was too controlled by the label and never felt she could breathe. Very few artists wouldn't dare do what she did. She may not be selling millions of albums, but she is doing music that she wants to make and is still able to live with what she makes. I refuse to see how anyone could look down on her for doing that. She deserves credit and applause.

I'm usually loathe to re-quote whole posts but I think yours sums up the situation absolutely perfectly.

"Color Me Free" sold 100,000 in the US and LP1 sold 150,000 so it's hardly a "few" thousand. Her album last year shifted 25,000 copies and debuted at Number 10 in the US (and got to Number 6 in the UK) which is still pretty good going.