Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just breaking now, 2x dead, quite a few injured. :(

http://news.sky.com/story/1396275/two-dead-after-lorry-crashes-into-shoppers

Comments

• UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I literally finished skating here at 1:45 today. Thoughts are with everyone xx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30580114
  • Sam_Clarke1Sam_Clarke1 Posts: 3,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A number of people are believed to have been injured after a bin lorry crashed in George Square in Glasgow.

Police described the crash, outside Queen Street station and the Millennium Hotel at about 14:30, as very serious.

Eyewitnesses reported the bin lorry travelling at speed in the area before hearing a loud bang. Several people were seen lying on the ground.

A large number of emergency vehicles are in attendance and roads surrounding George Square have been closed.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "There is an ongoing incident involving a bin lorry on George Square."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30580114

Hope they're not too badly hurt
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crumbs, I hope no fatalities come out of this. Particularly with Christmas just round the corner. :(
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 fatalities at present and possible more.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    What a dreadful thing to happen, especially at this time of year.
  • Sam_Clarke1Sam_Clarke1 Posts: 3,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On BBC news channel, the reporter is saying there may be 6 fatalities
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Six dead confirmed on Sky. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Six dead and lorry driver might have been taken ill.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear God, how awful :(
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How sad.:( It's terrible to lose a family member or close friend in such circumstances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kay on Sky News just pointed out there are three bodies in the street covered in blankets. Not very nice thought we needed to know.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Sky already said six dead a while ago and now they're shrieking about fatalities as if it's just came through. Wtf?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6 dead so far, terrible :(

Condolences to all their families and friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some morons in this world who think it's funny.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    This is horrific. George Sq. will be packed...days before Christmas, schools off, the fair and the ice rink as well as shoppers. I was planning to take the kids in this week. It sounds like the driver has taken ill at the wheel, there was no warning, no other vehicle involved.

We had the Clutha helicopter crash just before Christmas last year too. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently a witness said the lorry was out of control on the pavement which says the driver suffered an illness.
  • Daniel_Evans2Daniel_Evans2 Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    How insensitive of a sky news reporter to ask a witness describe the aftermath poor woman was distraught and upset stupid question to ask
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News had someone saying that it was some kind of fracas, between the driver of the lorry, and a taxi driver.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a few folk who were going Christmas shopping in Glasgow today. My daughter and MIL were there yesterday. Terrible thing to happen, especially so close to Christmas.:(
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I know a few folk who were going Christmas shopping in Glasgow today. My daughter and MIL were there yesterday. Terrible thing to happen, especially so close to Christmas.:(

I was just in on Saturday, it's devastating for these people and their families. We had Clutha last year and now this :(
  • CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eyewitness says the lorry ran into a buggy and children:(

Bit insensitive Sky reporter asking the eyewitness to describe the bodies>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine just having a potter about in town and then 'puff' you're literally gone from this world in an instant.

Messes with my head a bit to think about this sort of stuff.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,561
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »

My wife and the twins were in Glasgow today shopping. Thank God they are safe and not involved. For the families of those poor souls I cannot imagine the anguish and pain.
    Life and health are truly a gift and we should cherish them more
  • saffron_starsaffron_star Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scenes there just look horrific and heartbreaking.
    Somehow these things seem much worse just before Christmas and of course, this meant that there were far more people around and about shopping.
    I can't find the words.