Options

Sam Bailey dropped from SYCO

Comments

• Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    True.I cant see Ben getting past next year!

I don't see him getting past this year
    Sam Bailey has had her 15 minutes of fame, these singers come and go - who was the similar singer from Tescos in Ireland. They can all up their rates and advertise their next pub singing appearnace as Ex XFactor
  • Options
    Dannyb01yDannyb01y Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I don't see him getting past this year
    Sam Bailey has had her 15 minutes of fame, these singers come and go - who was the similar singer from Tescos in Ireland. They can all up their rates and advertise their next pub singing appearnace as Ex XFactor

Tesco Mary!
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a fantastic singer - but she's not really a 'star' nor is she marketable to get the returns that Syco needs to be profitable. It's really as simple as that.

She's a lovely lady though and she's handling it all with lots of dignity which can't be said for whatshisface who won the first series.
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    I had just kind of assumed this had already happened.

Saw her say on TV very recently that she's never even met Simon.

Simon was never interested in her tbh.If he is interested in someone,he will meet them.It was a weak series overall.He was interested in Tamera.Luke might also get some level of success though the UK male solo singers is a bit full.
  • Options
    Dannyb01yDannyb01y Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    She's a fantastic singer - but she's not really a 'star' nor is she marketable to get the returns that Syco needs to be profitable. It's really as simple as that.

She's a lovely lady though and she's handling it all with lots of dignity which can't be said for whatshisface who won the first series.

She's smart enough to be so lovely because she can see what happens when you aren't so graceful.

It wasn't a great year for talent really. The doors will open for the next global super star in a few months. :P
  • Options
    urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I give it three months before she is touring in Chicago.
  • Options
    Arthur_BArthur_B Posts: 3,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was such an air of inevitability about this, pretty much from the moment she won. It's simple - if Simon thinks the right act wins, he makes an effort. If not, he'll fulfil his contractual obligation by getting said winner to churn out some uninspired covers album and then at the end of the year, he'll drop them. She never stood a chance.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll be okay, she can do stuff like musical theatre, panto and presenting Lorraine in the summer etc but she ruined her chances of getting on the charts when she was still under syco by getting pregnant.

It's even more unlikely she will get on the charts now that she's gone from syco.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid question I'm sure for those in the know but.....is subo still with SYCO?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,492
    Forum Member
    She'll be on a ferry by the end of the year.
  • Options
    jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Same time next year then for when Ben is dropped in favour of the 2015 winner?

I think Ben might be OK if his album does well as Simon likes him. You can always tell when simon likes someone and when he doesn't give a damn about them. This time last year it was already announced that Sam was releasing a covers album in March which everyone knows equals the end really. This year we have heard that Ben hjas JUST started working on his album and Simon apparently wants him to write so this obviously shows simon is actually interested in him. But then I guess we'll see how his album does and sounds and then we'll sort of know ben's future
  • Options
    Pingu222Pingu222 Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »

I'm pretty sure her latest album release in October was with them. Think it was her 6th album and they've been on a steady decline in sales every year but still tend to manage 500k worldwide which for quite a low investment on a covers albums is probably worthwhile keeping around.
  • Options
    twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »

Yes. Subo's still with Sony/Syco in the UK and Columbia in the US. Just released 6th album and back from first US tour .

What the future will bring who knows. She sings traditional vocals and sells mainly physical albums in a streaming and track download world. And she's an overweight, 54 year old village woman in a size zero, youth-oriented world. But she's also a multimillionaire and can do whatever she wants to do, whatever Cowell decides,
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,492
    Forum Member
    Cowell picks who the real winner will be during the auditions. It doesn't matter who actually wins. X Factor isn't a contest but rather a launching pad to introduce his favoured act/s to the public. The people who phone in every week to vote are just mugs.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,144
    Forum Member
    Cowell picks who the real winner will be during the auditions. It doesn't matter who actually wins. X Factor isn't a contest but rather a launching pad to introduce his favoured act/s to the public. The people who phone in every week to vote are just mugs.

No they're not. They still get to choose the winner.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,144
    Forum Member
    urt31 wrote: »
    I give it three months before she is touring in Chicago.

Which would be a fantastic achievement for someone who was a prison officer a few years ago.
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys yes it's true I have parted ways with syco!! Don't worry tho, I'm happy xx lots of exciting things happening xx
    https://twitter.com/sambaileyreal

They all say that, don't they? End of a very short road.
  • Options
    rsefitpro07rsefitpro07 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its no surprise, i do feel sorry for Sam, I feel as if Sycos perception of what should be on their roster, is prejudicial against people such as Sam. They see Ben Haenow and Fleur East as the current future. I feel as if they are relentless and show no compassion when axing their artists.

I hope Sam goes on and does well for herself i would say that financially she is set with the small sucess that she has had. I just hope that she doesnt end up on a reality show and in the gutter so to speak.
  • Options
    Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    They all say that, don't they? End of a very short road.

yes they do , but Sam Bailey is on ITV's Lorraine on Wednesday, So i'm sure she will be asked about being axed by syco but it was evident that Simon cowell did not want Sam to win
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,695
    Forum Member
    I do find the X-factor is all about the tv show. That's the soap opera. If anything happens after the show has finished its run, its a bonus.

She wasn't my cup of tea, but good luck to her.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair to Steve Brookstein, he predicted this when Sam won it, he didn't get carried away by the hype and kept his cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30R9reXryOg
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair Sam's album didn't sell enough and she got a second chance with a re-release and that didn't do well either. You can't blame them. Yes maybe if she had been given some original material and a big comeback performance or something she might have had a better chance. I think she'd have to go at least platinum to get renewed. Being pregnant didn't help at all as she could have done some singles from it and promoted it but i dont think anything was gonna change it really. James Arthur sold twice what Sam sold and still got dropped and that was with original material.

It's quite incredible that 6/10 winners didn't make it past the first album with Sony BMG. They only kept on Alex(700k), Leona (3m), Little Mix(340k) and Shayne(500k) after the debut which should tell us about their sales expectations. I reckon 300k-400k is the bare minimum. Someone like Olly Murs winner or not shifted 800k amazingly so it was undeniable he would be kept on.:o

Why were the following dropped?
    Steve B - 150k
    Leon - 140k
    Joe McElderry -98k
    Matt Cardle - 240k
    James Arthur 260k
    Sam Bailey - 140k

I'm surprised James and Matt were still dropped with their sales i think they expect even more than that - 300k/400k.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling Sam may be signed up by Decca or an independent label quite easily. There is some level of interest in her just not at the level for Syco. I think she may do some musicals true and other avenues. I think Sam's very level headed and seems to take it all in her stride...i cannot see her too fazed by this. Onwards and upwards..
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why were the following dropped?
    Steve B - 150k
    Leon - 140k
    Joe McElderry -98k
    Matt Cardle - 240k
    James Arthur 260k
    Sam Bailey - 140k

I'm surprised James and Matt were still dropped with their sales i think they expect even more than that - 300k/400k.

I think James would have been kept on but he became a liability and with radio blacklisting him there was no real future there despite a fairly promising start. A shame, he really blew it.

Matt sold those at a different time when album sales were far higher and in a year when other XF alumni were showing more potential.

Now it's a bigger picture as well. Singles are far more important now than they used to be. Streaming and YouTube and merchandise are also major revenue streams now for labels. None of those things favour an artist like Sam Bailey. 10 years ago, her album might have sold 400k+ at Mother's Day but with the decline of the album market it has become harder to be an album act.
    FusionFury wrote: »
    To be fair to Steve Brookstein, he predicted this when Sam won it, he didn't get carried away by the hype and kept his cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30R9reXryOg

Not exactly a bold prediction was it? I think everyone saw it coming.
  • Options
    HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The public are shite at picking good, relevant winners. Tamera/Luke should have won that year, Fleur should have won this year. Oh well.