Paul McCartney - is he worth £680M?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
Forum Member
I say 'Yes!"

Someone was moaning that he's not worth it but I say he's a true living legend, wrote all those classics and is worth every penny!

Comments

• WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely not.
  • pepstarpepstar Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody is worth 680m
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He helped changed pop music forever.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP how are you defining 'worth'? Is he supposed to have amassed this amount of money from royalties and whatnot over the past 50 years, or is some Saudi Prince offering him this much money to play at his wedding or something?

Not that it really matters. Whether he's earned it or been offered it, by definition he obviously is worth it.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's safe to say if you've been in the biggest band of all time, and had a hugely successful solo career, you're going to make a few bob.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Anyone notice he wasn't this rich when it came to deciding his divorce settlement? :D

PS To answer the OPs question - yes, in a word. He's been at the top of the music industry for 50 years.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Anyone notice he wasn't this rich when it came to deciding his divorce settlement? :D

PS To answer the OPs question - yes, in a word. He's been at the top of the music industry for 50 years.

I'm sorry. I can't stop myself from what I am about to do.

Mills could try and contest his wealth, but she's signed a settlement now, so legally she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Again sorry. It was like an itchy scab and I am too weak not to scratch.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, yes. After his lengthy career and success as one of the defining icons of music, how much did you expect him to be worth? A fiver?
    The more successful the artist, the more they're worth. I believe Mariah Carey and Madonna are both around $600, which makes sense because they've been around for so long and had continued success.

It should be noted that worth means them, their estates, cars, everything etc.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Well writing is where the money is. Main reason Madonna & Mariah Carey are also worth so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Of course he's worth it. :)

In my view, the greatest modern musician in the world.

The Beatles, Wings, The Fireman, solo
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I believe Mariah Carey and Madonna are both around $600, which makes sense because they've been around for so long and had continued success.

Well I'm worth more then them then, and I hope you are too! :cool:
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that baffles me about the rich list this year is that U2 are being included now for some reason.

1) They're Irish and live in Ireland
    2) They're being counted as a band, not as individuals. Which seems quite a cheat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22103624

Top 10 music earners

1. Sir Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell - £680m

2. Andrew Lloyd Webber - £620m

3. U2 - £520m

4. Sir Elton John - £240m

=5. David and Victoria Beckham - £200m

=5. Sir Mick Jagger - £200m

7. Michael Flatley - £191m

8. Keith Richards - £185m

=9. Olivia and Dhani Harrison - £180m

=9. Sting - £180m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fast Fuse wrote: »
    I say 'Yes!"

Someone was moaning that he's not worth it but I say he's a true living legend, wrote all those classics and is worth every penny!

He's only worth more than Andrew Lloyd Webber on the rich list because he's recently married an extremely rich woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pepstar wrote: »
    Nobody is worth 680m

He's worth every penny when you consider that Andrew Lloyd Webber has actually made more money from his music than McCartney has made from the Beatles. Put them side-by-side in the history of British music and surely the Beatles wipe the floor with Lloyd Webber. That seems a bit perverse to me.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Well, yes. After his lengthy career and success as one of the defining icons of music, how much did you expect him to be worth? A fiver?
    The more successful the artist, the more they're worth. I believe Mariah Carey and Madonna are both around $600, which makes sense because they've been around for so long and had continued success.

It should be noted that worth means them, their estates, cars, everything etc.
    He also has his music holdings company MPL Communications which nets him a LOT of money a year, somewhere in the 10s of millions from what I read somewhere so he is raking it in
    MPL publishing owns a wide range of copyrighted material - covering nearly 100 years of music - by composers including McCartney, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Jerry Herman, Frank Loesser, Meredith Willson, Harold Arlen and many others,[2] with songs, such as “Rock-a-Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody” (made famous by Al Jolson), "I'm Glad There Is You", "Blue Suede Shoes", "That'll Be the Day", as well as Lennon–McCartney's "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You" in its catalogue. MPL also controls 25 subsidiary companies.[4]
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    If he was desperate for 'ready cash' in say a week, would he be able to lay his hands on £680m?
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    If he was desperate for 'ready cash' in say a week, would he be able to lay his hands on £680m?
    I would bet the majority of his worth would have to be the Beatles catalogue, I doubt he would have the £680 millon in cold hard cash lying in the bank
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    He's worth every penny when you consider that Andrew Lloyd Webber has actually made more money from his music than McCartney has made from the Beatles. Put them side-by-side in the history of British music and surely the Beatles wipe the floor with Lloyd Webber. That seems a bit perverse to me.

Seems perverse to me as well. Andrew Lloyd Webber must have better accountants.
    Forum Member
    gold2040 wrote: »
    He also has his music holdings company MPL Communications which nets him a LOT of money a year, somewhere in the 10s of millions from what I read somewhere so he is raking it in

I'm learning stuff here tonight, I knew he had the Buddy Holly deal but not the other stuff. I was also forgetting that his latest missus had a few bob!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Why wouldn't he be worth the money he's earned?
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Of course he's worth it. :)

In my view, the greatest modern musician in the world.

The Beatles, Wings, The Fireman, solo

For the Beatle stuff alone he's worth the money.

Wings was just a bonus - what a bonus! Band on The Run!

The Fireman & solo stuff I can take or leave to be honest...
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    1. Sir Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell - £680m

So according that he isn't 'worth' £680m, as Nancy Shevell was also incredibly wealthy before she married him. To counteract that, it is rumoured that McCartney gives away huge amounts of money to various causes, so you might say that the two of them are actually worth more than that.
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These lists will never be even close to accurate, because many artists don't disclose what they've put their investment in, to avoid tax and what have you.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt Michael Jackson buy the Beatles catalogue and publishing rights?? And didnt Paul MacCartney buy them back from him??
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hes made that money honestly in a commercial world. the answer is yes, regardless of whether you like his material or not.