Options

Foxsat HDR - Feature Requests

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
Forum Member
Not sure if there's a thread for this anywhere. If so this can be merged but I'd like to start a thread to list bugs / feature requests for future firmware updates. I would like to say though that it is very stable and appears to have no major issues.

What I would like to see:

- facility to be able to delete files when a recording is taking place. this is most annoying
- the boot up time improved. takes an eternity. what is it doing in this time?
- not sure if this affects everyone but if my TV is tuned to the sat channel (I'm on HDMI BTW) and the unit is in standby and recording and then I power it on, no picture appears on my TV. I have to switch away from the sat channel and back to it in order to see the picture. If I'm tuned into the sat channel and the unit is on standy and NOT recording then this does not happen. Anyone else get this?

Comments

• Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like the ethernet port on both the HDD foxy & the non HDD foxy to be enabled so that the recorded stuff could be streamed from one to the other via a home network
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would like to trash this idea before it becomes stupid.

The boot time of the HDR takes 30 secs - just like the FOXSAT-HD - exactly the same amount of time from pressing the power on to getting a picture.

This is normal for a power-saving device that runs at 1W in standby - just like my Panasonic DVD recorder (in power saving mode takes 35 secs to boot up)...

The only way to have a instant turn on is to keep it on! This is the trick of other boxes (e.g. Sky) whereby they run in pseudo standby consuming as much power as if they were on, so that when users bring them out of standby they instantly turn on!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also seem to have HDMI issues when box is powered up whilhe recording.
    I have to switch my HDMI switching amp off the Humax and back to get a picture and sound.

Features...

The delete while recording I agree is a must.

When you press Media to display Video content some indication that "New" items exist in folders.

Also option to delete empty folders in this view or the unit does it automatically when folder is empty.

Option so to easily customise the channels in the main Guide view.

Automan.
  • Options
    N GoodwinN Goodwin Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    You're right son_t. I have quite a few satellite receivers of one sort or another and they all have prolonged boot times from cold or from standby. The point about the dreadful Sky boxes is well made, as their standby is a cheat. They're in the process of adding auto-standby to standard boxes which is such a stupid thing to do apart from persuading the gullible that it's a good "green" exercise (which it isn't).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    It would be an idea that something other than just the clock were displayed when recording with timer from standby. Maybe the program its recording.

The volume control should work as the Sky remote when yoy TV is programmed in (less button presses)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot also the option to dim or turn off the front display backlight.

If you have one in your bedroom it may wake you up when the display comes on during a recording.

Also in a low lit living room it is a bit bright.

Also, was it really needed in the first place?

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shawshank_Steve

I would like to trash this idea before it becomes stupid.

No need to trash the idea or get defensive. It's a suggestion that Humax may or may not be able to work on.

If they can then good, if they can't then what's the problem? I can understand that Sky+ isn't a good example but the OP didn't mention them.

Humax made significant improvements to the 9200 start up times and if they can on the HDR then it would be a welcome improvement.

Mike
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automan wrote: »
    Forgot also the option to dim or turn off the front display backlight
    Also, was it really needed in the first place?
    I was a bit disappointed that it was LCD actually. I like the idea of an alphanumeric display on the front, showing the channel name etc, but a VFD look so much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    olderscot wrote: »
    No need to trash the idea or get defensive. It's a suggestion that Humax may or may not be able to work on.

If they can then good, if they can't then what's the problem? I can understand that Sky+ isn't a good example but the OP didn't mention them.

Humax made significant improvements to the 9200 start up times and if they can on the HDR then it would be a welcome improvement.

Mike

That was precisely my thinking when suggesting it. If nothing can be done then fine. I don't know if it can be achieved and I doubt that son_t does either. Saying that it is normal for devices to take this length of time is just speculation. Leave Humax figure it out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    - facility to be able to delete files when a recording is taking place. this is most annoying

This is actually working for me without problems; both when I'm recording live TV and when a scheduled recording is taking place.

Bear in mind that I haven't yet had the software update, so it's entirely possible (speculating wildly!) that there was a bug in this feature and they temporarily removed it. Or it may just be a bug that it's not appearing on the current software.

Either way, it suggests that Humax intended this to be possible and that it's likely to reappear in a later update.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So as not to get your hopes up, but my interpretation would be the converse of yours.

That the delete facility during recording was there, and for some reason, it has been removed - and probably won't return... :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Only one thing on my feature wish-list: the ability to store and replay my camcorder clips. It does photos & mp3's so why not home video Divx content?
    That's all. I'm very easily pleased.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The one thing I'd really like to see is Teletext on ITV. I suspect this is outside of the scope of this thread however and would work if ITV chose to implement it. It works on BBC after all.
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like the ethernet port on both the HDD foxy & the non HDD foxy to be enabled so that the recorded stuff could be streamed from one to the other via a home network

also if a workaround could be put in place so this setup could act as a kind of multiroom using one of the dual tuners, handy for people with limited dish access.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote: »
    So as not to get your hopes up, but my interpretation would be the converse of yours.

That the delete facility during recording was there, and for some reason, it has been removed - and probably won't return... :(

At the very very least they need to have the delete option there so it can say 'Unable to delete whilst recording or playing back' - as it is the option just vanishes and it looks like there's no way to delete any recording.
  • Options
    SoloMaleeSoloMalee Posts: 200
    Forum Member

I support that too!

As soon as the Foxsat HDR can share it's recordings, then I'm in. Until then, I'm going to persevere with Vista Media Centre and hacked in DVB-S support.

I already have my Foxsat HD by the way, this feature is all I need to make me spend another £300 on an HDR and another £130 for yet another Foxsat-HD for the Film Room (And if I don't need the Foxsat-HD connected to a satellite signal for playback of recorded shows all the better)

Also a nice option would be a way for me to easily get my recordings onto my iPod for viewing on the go (ie: H264 format conversion and sync to iTunes - I even don't care if you have to load up the file with DRM).

Solo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just emailed a link to this thread to Humax support as I think there are some good ideas in here. Let's hope they look at it and take the comments on board.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawshank,

No need, "we are watching"... ;)

Bob @ Humax
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I would really like to see UPnP AV streaming from the HDR via its ethernet connection. It would be great to be able to see content on a playstation 3 (or other device) on the network. It works pretty well for EyeTV on the Mac (well it doesn't work very well at the moment bu that's a different story :mad:) for viewing recorded items and it would be a real bonus to see this from the Foxsat.
  • Options
    LardnessLardness Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleting watched programmes seems very convoluted compared to the 9200....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bob_Cat wrote: »
    Shawshank,

Bob @ Humax

We're being watched? The Big Brother day we all feared is finally complete ;)

How's the latest patch coming along Bob? :D

Thanks again for a fantastic piece of kit. I'm sure I say that on behalf of everyone here and Mr Murdoch ;)
  • Options
    N GoodwinN Goodwin Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for a fantastic piece of kit. I'm sure I say that on behalf of everyone here and Mr Murdoch ;)

He might change his name to Mr Madfox.
  • Options
    SoloMaleeSoloMalee Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Shawshank,

Bob @ Humax

It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that we might be able to influence future product development here :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We listen/read however we make a policy of avoiding commenting on any specific new features until they are carved in stone here. I am confident of some interesting work being done on the products, but you will have to remain in suspense until we have a date for delivery.

Were I not so butch I would be squealing like a schoolgirl over the potential reunion of Busted at some of the prospects, however if I even suggested what could happen I would get castrated by the forum posters if they didn't turn out as expected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We listen/read however we make a policy of avoiding commenting on any specific new features until they are carved in stone here.

Totally understand. I'm in IT myself. You could mention some new feature on a thread that may end up getting ditched if it caused unforseen circumstances elsewhere. Very wise.

As another poster said, good to see a company taking such an interest. If other companies do such things then they keep very quiet about it!