Options

Cancelling your Lovefilm....they dont like the word.

Okay, if its been said before then sorry....but.
Just cancelled my full pack on Lovefilm as I am not using it and can spend the £18 a month elsewhere.
For an online service why do you have to call to cancel..... The answer. So they can badger you into staying.
I said I would like to cancel and the girl was like okay, we will reduce you to the £5.99 package.
? No I would like to cancel please.
Okay we can put you on hold for 6 months and then restart:eek:
No Can I just cancel.
Why do you want to cancel.....
Explained I am not using the service.
Why exactly......
And at this point got very short and demanded to cancel.

Not good really.

Comments

• Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Yes it is annoying. You should be able to cancel online. I have been with Lovefilm on and off over the last ten years or so and they always try to offer you a payment holiday or discount. Two years ago I called to cancel and basically the person I spoke to just wouldnt let me. He put on a payment holiday. So I just waited a few weeks until the end of my "holiday" and phoned back and got someone who would cancel without a fuss. I rejoined in January this year on 2 disc package but feel it has now run its course so decided to cancel. This time they offered me a month free streaming only. I have agreed to that but am trying Netflix as well which is miles better on all counts. Will ring and cancel when the streaming offer ends. They really should not do this. Offer an incentive is fone but if you say no they should let it go at that. It is worth dipping in and out of this service as when you leave they usually offer a 1 or 2 months free deal to come back. Thats why I rejoined in January on 3 months for the price of one.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, and they are Indian call centre and I hate trying to explain myself to people who's English is so limited,
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I've said this on several occasions, it should be mandatory that any service that allows online subscription should allow online cancellation.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the trick is to cancel online outside of their normal office hours... then it just lets you cancel without having to call.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just found it very bad having to justify why you wanted to cancel the service and then jump though hoops to do so,
    Not very good really in this day and age.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely agree, I've used LoveFilm on and off for years. I like the service, but sometimes for a variety of reasons, I've cancelled - and that is always a hassle.

They've offered to put my package down to £2.99 for one disc a month - hardly worthwhile IMO. And it always takes an almost arguement to get them just to agree to cancel your account.

I tried BlockBuster recently, and although I had to call to cancel, I called, said I wanted to cancel - they asked if I would tell them why, for future improvements or something - I said I was with LoveFilm too and preffered their service and the person just said something along the lines of 'ok, no problem, I'll just close your account now for you, you'll receive email confirmation.'

...By the time I put the phone down and attempted to log into their site, a message stated that the account was cancelled - that's service, and I'd reccommend them - and might just go back to them in the future! (The thing I didn't like was the navigation of their website and no online streaming though. But they did have other positives the ease of cancelling being one of them!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I didnt dare to say I was on netflix, as my mate tried to cancel the other month and was told the virtues of lovefilm vs netflix. he told them he was running them side by side for months to which he was told he obviously wasn`t using the service properly.
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just sent them a message through the website, got confirmation in about an hour.
  • Options
    Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You used to be able to cancel online until they changed it a while back. It took me about 10 minutes to convince the guy on the phone that I was sure I wanted cancel and didn't want to take a "holiday" or any special offers. I ended up telling him that he might as well cancel my membership because the card registered with my account was no longer valid and couldn't be charged. I guess they think that having customers ring up to cancel means there's more of a chance they can be convinced to stay. It's just made me wary about ever going back.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    Same problem here. I've subscribed to Lovefilm several times in the past - sometimes I don't have time to watch so I temporarily unsubscribe.

The last two times I've found it a struggle to cancel with almost outright refusal by the call centre. I'm never going back - I've switched to Netflix and, despite a good service, I would recommend against using Lovefilm.

I agree with JulesandSand: any service that allows an online subscription must accept cancellation by the exact same method. Just out of interest, how would a deaf person cancel?
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    mfr wrote: »
    Same problem here. I've subscribed to Lovefilm several times in the past - sometimes I don't have time to watch so I temporarily unsubscribe.

The last two times I've found it a struggle to cancel with almost outright refusal by the call centre. I'm never going back - I've switched to Netflix and, despite a good service, I would recommend against using Lovefilm.

I agree with JulesandSand: any service that allows an online subscription must accept cancellation by the exact same method. Just out of interest, how would a deaf person cancel?

In writing presumably, which I had to resort to when I stupidly subscribed to Setanta.
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mfr wrote: »

You can still cancel online, you just send them a message through the website.
  • Options
    superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO annoying, the last idiot couldn't understand that I wanted to CANCEL my account, he wouldn't budge and decided instead to put it on holiday for 3 months, despite me saying this was not suitable and I wanted to cancel it completed

Realised I wouldn't get through to him. Phoned them back a few days later, managed to get the cancellation done but had to be quite rude to do so - say it politely and they don't take no for an answer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I will be cancelling mine at end of my 12 months free with Talk Talk... Best way to cancel I have found with any service, without being passed around on hold etc to get offers is to tell them you are leaving the country.

I did it with Setanta. Worked great! Or if that fails, just instruct the card company you use to refuse payment to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Email came through today to confirm that my account is now cancelled.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cancelled online again the other week. No problems, no stalling, it was done with in a few minutes.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just cancelled online with absolutely no issues. Quick and no phone call.
    Granted, it was at the end of my free trial subscription, though I don't know if that makes a difference as they did have my credit card.

Also, it was outside of normal office hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    Also, it was outside of normal office hours.

That helps. I think a few people have recommended that. Certainly helped me.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Treble wrote: »
    I absolutely agree, I've used LoveFilm on and off for years. I like the service, but sometimes for a variety of reasons, I've cancelled - and that is always a hassle.

They've offered to put my package down to £2.99 for one disc a month - hardly worthwhile IMO. And it always takes an almost arguement to get them just to agree to cancel your account.

I tried BlockBuster recently, and although I had to call to cancel, I called, said I wanted to cancel - they asked if I would tell them why, for future improvements or something - I said I was with LoveFilm too and preffered their service and the person just said something along the lines of 'ok, no problem, I'll just close your account now for you, you'll receive email confirmation.'

...By the time I put the phone down and attempted to log into their site, a message stated that the account was cancelled - that's service, and I'd reccommend them - and might just go back to them in the future! (The thing I didn't like was the navigation of their website and no online streaming though. But they did have other positives the ease of cancelling being one of them!)

See I think Blockbusters method is just as bad. You expect a company to try and keep your business a bit BUT like you when I cancelled Blockbuster they made no attempt whatsoever. With that and the instantly blocking your login it just makes it seem like they couldn't care about having you as a customer.

Personally I would like something in the middle. They should make an attempt to keep you but should know when stop pushing it.

After all I cancelled Blockbuster because Lovefilm offered me a decent deal to return and with blockbusters lack of streaming and the fact I found the disc turnaround was a day longer with Blockbuster I felt I couldn't justify paying more for less. If they had tried to keep me they might have had a chance (and as they asked me why I was leaving they knew why so had the chance). Lovefilm on the other hand have kept me subscribed with competitive deals when I have gone to cancel (Current on a deal where I got 30% off my package, free upgrade to 3 disc package and a 13th month for free)
  • Options
    Kopite79Kopite79 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had any issues cancelling. You can usually cancel through the website after midnight. If that option isn't available I send a quick email via the site and it's done within hours no questions asked. I've cancelled Lovefilm many times over the years and never had speak to anyone.