'Emmerdale' thrashes 'EastEnders' in Thursday ratings clash

SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
Forum Member
From Digital Spy:
Emmerdale thumped EastEnders by a margin of two million viewers in last night's soap ratings.

Thursday's hour-long edition of the rural serial, focusing on the popular love triangle between Cameron, Chas and Debbie, attracted 7.05m (31.7%) at 7pm and 120,000 an hour later.

EastEnders could only muster 5.05m (21.8%) despite the high-profile nature of Christian and Syed's departure episode, shedding 2m week-on-week and the lowest figure for the BBC serial in recent memory.

When the two shows went head-to-head between 7.30pm and 8pm, Emmerdale unprecedentedly retained its entire audience, never dropping below 7m.

Emmerdale, which has been on fine form since its special 40th anniversary week, has never beaten EastEnders by a bigger margin - when the they clashed in July earlier this year, Emmerdale only came out on top by a tiny amount.

However, BBC Three's 10.30pm repeat took 721k (6.5%), and many more will have caught up using Sky+ and BBC iPlayer.

Coronation Street's one-off Thursday outing, an amusing visit to Weatherfield which saw Steve McDonald lock love rival Rob in the back of his own lorry, topped the night with 8.07m (33.1%) at 8pm and 262k on ITV1 +1.
Really low rating for Eastenders. Why is Eastenders rating low these days, even the episodes which dont clash against Emmerdale cant rate over 8million. Why have so many people stopped watching it?

Comments

• matty_andersonmatty_anderson Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a little worrying at how low Eastenders is being rated in recent months, It's been many of years since I''ve seen the figures be constantly lower than normal, I do think that Emmerdale is brilliant at the moment and I've started watching again since the live episode so it's gave the show a boost. I think Eastenders has been quite awful in recent months. I'm a huge fan of the show and hope that they can pull it all together soon
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazy...
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid even if the quality does pick up again on a consistent basis, the viewers who left will still not come back to watch EE.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    Both soaps have been lower before during a clash...And all will be back to nornal monday
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emmerdale didnt loose a single viewer when clashing with eastenders that is some achievement.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What were people watching last night? How does Eastenders get 5 million viewers and yet Emmerdale only manages 7?

Eastenders should be ashamed of that figure though.
    Forum Member
    leeruk wrote: »
    emmerdale didnt loose a single viewer when clashing with eastenders that is some achievement.
    Why would someone turn over at 7:30 and miss 30 mins of a programe they were watching? SAME has been done for EastEnders when Emmerdale starts 30mins into hour ep
    Forum Member
    :sleep:
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    What were people watching last night? How does Eastenders get 5 million viewers and yet Emmerdale barely scrapes 7?

Eastenders should be ashamed of that figure though.
    EMMERDALE aired 7-8 Therefore a 30min head start....no big deal back to normal Monday
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Why would someone turn over at 7:30 and miss 30 mins of a programe they were watching? SAME has been done for EastEnders when Emmerdale starts 30mins into hour ep

Give it up, just admit the show is on it's knees.
  • Lewis26Lewis26 Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders is diabolical, i started watching emmerdale about a year ago as i was starting to get annoyed with eastenders and im so glad i did! Emmerdale is miles better as is Hollyoaks and even Corrie, which is in a bad shape itself. I nearly switched off for good during Kat shagger but ill wait to see what christmas is like.
    Nothing major even happened in emmerdale last night and it still battered eastenders!
    Wouldnt be surprised if Hollyoaks first look beat the bbc3 repeat as well as nearly a million watched on e4 the other day
    Forum Member
    bazellis wrote: »
    Give it up, just admit the show is on it's knees.
    Lol...lets explain on monday why EastEnders is back UP Then.
    Forum Member
    Lewis26 wrote: »
    Eastenders is diabolical, i started watching emmerdale about a year ago as i was starting to get annoyed with eastenders and im so glad i did! Emmerdale is miles better as is Hollyoaks and even Corrie, which is in a bad shape itself. I nearly switched off for good during Kat shagger but ill wait to see what christmas is like.
    Nothing major even happened in emmerdale last night and it still battered eastenders!
    Wouldnt be surprised if Hollyoaks first look beat the bbc3 repeat as well as nearly a million watched on e4 the other day
    BUT Emmerdale had that 30mins lead....BBC3 repeat startes at alater time of 11pm (On a school/work night too) Its figure is up on normal though. EastEnders will timeshift quite well tho when the 7:27-7:57 Start time and recordings are taken into account
  • Lewis26Lewis26 Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BUT Emmerdale had that 30mins lead....BBC3 repeat startes at alater time of 11pm (On a school/work night too) Its figure is up on normal though. EastEnders will timeshift quite well tho when the 7:27-7:57 Start time and recordings are taken into account

:yawn:

Its awful and the figures are reflecting that, do you work for the bbc? Is this damage control?
    Forum Member
    Lewis26 wrote: »
    :yawn:

Its awful and the figures are reflecting that, do you work for the bbc? Is this damage control?
    Its NOTHING NEW when soaps clash though...Had EastEnders had 30min head start it would have come out top as proven before. Its no biggie as cone Monday EastEnders will be back to around 7.5m-
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but dan2008 will you ever accept that people might not want to watch EastEnders simply because it's not good?

You're the biggest EastEnders apologist I've ever known!

I usually bite my tongue ... or is that my fingers ... but your posts in this thread are just beyond ridiculous. No biggie though, eh? :cool:
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leeruk wrote: »

That is some achievement as Emmerdale has become unbearable under Mr Blackburn.
    Forum Member
    Sorry but dan2008 will you ever accept that people might not want to watch EastEnders simply because it's not good?

You're the biggest EastEnders apologist I've ever known!

I usually bite my tongue ... or is that my fingers ... but your posts in this thread are just beyond ridiculous. No biggie though, eh? :cool:
    Had EastEnders just fell to 5m fair enough but it has a reason. On Monday we will see EastEnders back up above Emmerdale. We have seen this all before....Dozens of times
  • Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,243
    Forum Member
    Had EastEnders just fell to 5m fair enough but it has a reason. On Monday we will see EastEnders back up above Emmerdale. We have seen this all before....Dozens of times

Dan, I dont mean this ina nasty way, or with any harm or offence meant, but will you please give it a rest? Stop repeating yourself post after post after post! We get that you think EE will be back on top on Monday. Just calm down yeah?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan, I dont mean this ina nasty way, or with any harm or offence meant, but will you please give it a rest? Stop repeating yourself post after post after post! We get that you think EE will be back on top on Monday. Just calm down yeah?

Thank you for putting this much more gently than I would.

I steer clear of all the anti-EastEnders arguing but the constant repetition of 'apologist' comments has really started to become unbearable over the past couple of days, not just in this thread but in others that I've read too.

Sorry :(
    Forum Member
    Not think but 'KNOW'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not think but 'KNOW'

Dear, dear ... go and put the kettle on and calm down a bit!
    Forum Member
    Dear, dear ... go and put the kettle on and calm down a bit!
    I could do with a Coffee actually. Im just trying to prove a point though. That its nothing new,it wasnt out of the blue and things will return normal Come Monday. I wonder if a Emmerdale or Corrie hits 5million thread will be started tomorrow due to CIN clash?
  • Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,243
    Forum Member
    Not think but 'KNOW'

We'll see. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could do with a Coffee actually. Im just trying to prove a point though. That its nothing new,it wasnt out of the blue and things will return normal Come Monday. I wonder if a Emmerdale or Corrie hits 5million thread will be started tomorrow due to CIN clash?

We know ... if you actually stopped and read what Melephunk said we all know that you are trying to make a point ... and that in itself was Melephunk's point ... too many points.

Go and make a coffee right now, OK? :D
    Forum Member
    We'll see. ;)
    Wanna bet 50 quid that im right? lol...