Why do people say 'fillum' instead of FILM?!

Comments

• CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Same here, i've never said "fillum"!
    I used to say 'fillum' when growing up in Glasgow. I now say 'Film'. Don't know why it changed!:confused:
    What does get on my wick is, Bruvver for Brother and Muvver for Mother :eek::mad:
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was growing up I regularly used to rent videos from the local Indian-owned supermarket, and the lady called them "fillums".
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and the husband say "Filum" both of us from the West of Scotland!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    The idea that the pronunciation "film" is somehow purer than "fillum" is inherently flawed. It's not even the case that "film" became "fillum", it was the other way around. In Romeo and Juliet, which was of course written before standardised spelling, "film" was spelled "philome", meaning that the two syllable pronunciation is the older of the two.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they're from the north east.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to admit I alternate between both, and Im Irish. A year spent living in Sunderland probably didn't help.

I do hate people saying Pry-mark though, it was created in Ireland and we say Pree-mark!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I've only ever heard geordies pronouncing it like that.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irish people say fillum

they also say "oor", when they mean "R" - as in RSPCA, or RUC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    irish people say fillum

they also say "oor", when they mean "R" - as in RSPCA, or RUC

Oh yeah Mark Cousins said "fillum" in The Story of Film.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever heard "fillum" in East is East. And from people paying homage to East is East. :D:o
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that always stuck in my mind is years ago i was in the crowd at some event the Queen was at...............might have been the Silver Jubilee..............:eek:

Anyway...........there was some Irish people behind me shouting Long Live The Quee-urn.................:p

that's over 30 years ago and I still remember it...........:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Glomper wrote: »
    Nuculer is my pet hate.

Me too!
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i say movie
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? Are you American?
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    Nuculer is my pet hate.

this is an old post, but its irony

nu-killer :)
  • 36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asians by me say fillims

jamaicans say flims

whites say films
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually say Fillum ... :) it's just my accent, FIlm doesn't really sound right the way I speak ...
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    My friends mum (from Norfolk originally) always said derodorant instead if deodorant ..............it always made me laugh.

I was bought up to say chimley but I know say chimney - I used to say samwidge too instead of sandwich.

My DIL (and a lot of other folks) says hospical - that irritates me no end.

Just thought I'd share that :D
  • Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good God, we've got bombs going off in various parts of the world, people lining up at food banks, disabled people topping themselves after being declared 'fit for work' and all some people can do is whinge about how some people pronounce a certain word.

Smoking Smeggers, when I read some of the petty, provincial sh*t certain people get upset about on here, I don't know whether to just laugh or to bang my head on the sodding keyboard.
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one that gets me is when Ulster folk say Mirror and it comes out as Murrr. It doesn't annoy mr, I love it!!
  • scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, it annoys me no end.

The first time i heard it was when i watched East is East, and it was pretty funny, but now i hear it alot and the novelty has worn off.

Most annoying is the geordie voiceover guy on c4 who thinks it is cool to say 'fillum', it is not cool, and it isn't clever. You sound like an idiot!

It's film!

Why do people say 'fillum'?

...cos they are from newcastle and they cant help it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Because the English language is always changing often because nobody corrects a person for pronouncing a word wrong and it spreads because other people hear the word think it's cool or funny and start saying it as well.

One that annoys me is the correct word used to be "slippery" as in "be careful it's slippery", but now more and more people including TV presenters, I've heard a newsreader pronounce and weather reporters are really bad for it, prononcing it as "slippy."

My friend said it doesn't matter but it does. Employers have said that the level of English isn't as high as it used to be. I know if I had an application form in front of me and it had words like "slippy" and other incorrect words. I would think twice whether I would bother inviting them for an interview.

Because some people write how they speak, apparently I do. You get mistakes. I have seen cover letters for jobs that they have written "you know," "innit" and "ok" at the end of a sentence.

A few years ago I got a surprise when I was at a UK wrestling show talking to a guy I had never met before. He asked my name and I told him. After chatting for a bit he asked if I use that promotion's forum . I said yes and he asked are you "Imknackerd" on there? I said yes how do you know. He said because I talk and write exactly the same. I had no idea.

I'm glad that I have a reasonably decent vocabulary and speak without using words as punctuation as it's opened doors for me as they believe I'm smarter and more capable than I actually am. Whilst saying "slippy" and "fillum" may be cool and comical it can also be a negative as it makes you look a bit stupid or even just plain thick.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

Anyway...........there was some Irish people behind me shouting Long Live The Quee-urn.................:p

that's over 30 years ago and I still remember it...........:eek:

I always thought that Fillum was a Dublin accent, I used to work with some Dubliners who spoke like that, they also said Cair for car.

In Nottingham they used to say things like gree un and schoo ul, and I've noticed that Americans do it as well.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Because they're from the north east.

Yes, it's definitely a North East thing. I grew up there and it is the standard pronunciation.

I tend to use both depending on how southern or regional I'm speaking.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the person that said 'movie' is a lot more annoying over here. I like America and enjoy going over there but do not like people over here copying the language etc. drives me mad.