Whether we like it or not, a 'female' Doctor may not be that far away.

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Joanna Lumley played the Doctor a few years ago.... albeit in a Children In Need special. However, given that the 2005+ Series remains non canon to the original, there is nothing to stop another series being produced featuring a female Time Lord, the character Romana having already been set up and subject to a regeneration (Mary Tamm -> Lala Ward).

How is it noncanon? It's the same series. We've even seen images of the first Eight Doctors on several occasions too!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    How is it noncanon? It's the same series. We've even seen images of the first Eight Doctors on several occasions too!

It's not worth bringing that argument up, honestly. DariaM has a strong and unique opinion on the subject.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it strange thst people who claim to love doctor would simply give upwatching based on the sex of a character. If the scripts and storylines are good then whats the difference?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Amen. My friends and I have been watching and collecting all of the DVDs/Blu-Rays for the last two years. We have talked about this and, if The Doctor regenerated as a woman, we would stop watching the show and stop purchasing the product. It would be the "Jump The Shark" moment for us. Nearly everybody I know feels the same about this.

Heck, all of the spin-offs centered around a strong female protagonist. Also, for the last two years, Doctor Who has almost always centered around the strong female Amy Williams (yes, her name is Amy Williams since she married Rory Williams) to the point where she was the one introducing the show with a long voice over here in the U.S..

Doctor Who current-female-centric. Why take out the only decent male character left in the show?

If you want to, take River Song and spin her off into her own show, but leave The Doctor as British, Male, Hyper-Intelligent, Hyper-Competent and eccentric. That is how he has always been and that is how we like him.

There is no lawful requirement for a woman to change her name when she gets married, and their daughter's name is Melody Pond.

Also, the Doctor is Galifreyan. If we're talking actors, David Tennant is Scottish.

I wouldn't have a problem with a female Doctor, as long as it's Helena Bonham Carter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    I'd like to roast this particular chestnut over an open fire (clever eh?). It's been done to death.

My usual comment: it won't happen because it's a risk they simply don't have to take. What showrunner would risk their reputation on something they just don't need to do? If it worked it would be business as usual for the already successful show. If it didn't then it would be their career on the line. There's just no incentive.

Completely agree with this.
    snopaelic wrote: »
    I find it strange thst people who claim to love doctor would simply give upwatching based on the sex of a character. If the scripts and storylines are good then whats the difference?

Because it would turn the show into a joke! It would be a tacky gimmick. It would be like having a female James Bond or a male Mary Poppins. As I've said in a previous thread, there is a reason why the idea of a female Doctor was used in a SPOOF.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    I'd like to roast this particular chestnut over an open fire (clever eh?). It's been done to death.

My usual comment: it won't happen because it's a risk they simply don't have to take. What showrunner would risk their reputation on something they just don't need to do? If it worked it would be business as usual for the already successful show. If it didn't then it would be their career on the line. There's just no incentive.

Exactly.

Nicely put too.