Options

Should BBC just hand over Eurovision to ITV?

mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The BBC seem to have given up or not as bothered with Eurovision they won't even let the public vote anymore . They send one good act one year bad the next . I can't see UK ever winning with the BBC anymore. If they could hand it over to ITV they'd surely do a better job organising the shows or even Simon Cowell he wouldn't want to send a bad act to Eurovision would only be trying to find the best . He'd be more up for the challenge to want to find a act for Eurovision.
Is anyone else hoping ITV or Simon Cowell will eventually take over Eurovison in the UK finding the act?
BBC are ridiculous at this stage it's no longer a public choice just the BBC's choice they aren't representing the UK if they keep sending songs the public don't even like.

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the "one good act"?
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    yes.. it should be taken from them as they wont allow any public involvement in it and have made it the bbc elite entry and not the uk entry. i want a regional and national song contest like it used to be involving public voting at every level and joe public having the final say. that is democratic and fair.

the bbc system is just control freakery.
    the bbc have ruined this for everyone and have chosen some awful flops
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,424
    Forum Member
    No.

I have no idea what makes people think ITV would do a better job than the BBC.

It is the attitude of the public, press and record companies that are at the core of the UK's poor entries. Sure, the BBC haven't done great by us this year, but we haven't heard the other 299 entries! They could all be far worse for all we know.

I think sometimes people use Eurovision to bash the BBC a bit. There are plenty of issues, I'll admit, but how do you expect them to give us an incredible entry when the viewers & press are poised to dismiss it (and the entire contest), and the UK music industry regards it as a waste of time and a joke?

I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    What was the "one good act"?

Oh I meant one good act from after Jade the rest before that were awful. Jade , Blue , Molly were the only better songs of the UK .
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    The BBC seem to have given up or not as bothered with Eurovision they won't even let the public vote anymore . They send one good act one year bad the next . I can't see UK ever winning with the BBC anymore. If they could hand it over to ITV they'd surely do a better job organising the shows or even Simon Cowell he wouldn't want to send a bad act to Eurovision would only be trying to find the best . He'd be more up for the challenge to want to find a act for Eurovision.
    Is anyone else hoping ITV or Simon Cowell will eventually take over Eurovison in the UK finding the act?
    BBC are ridiculous at this stage it's no longer a public choice just the BBC's choice they aren't representing the UK if they keep sending songs the public don't even like.

FFS, every bloody year! "Oh I hate the song so let SIMON EFFING COWELL take control!" You can predict the same thing being said each time our song is revealed.

No, No, No. The BBC are fine with their stance. They give it good coverage. You don't like the song? So what. I do. Others do. And, what's all this "It doesn't represent the UK properly" bullshit? Of course it does. It is a song written by British people, performed by British people, singing in a style that is being listened to in Britain. Not by everyone. I admit. But I don't listen to Ed Sheeran. can't stand him. Sam Smith is Celine Dion with testicles. Dull and lifeless. I'm British. I don't feel they represent me. But, I like the eurovision entry. It is fun and it is quirky - everything about what being British is about. You don't like it? So what! Life doesn't revolve around you.

People calling out for public votes: if this years song was in the selection, the public would have voted for it! The BBC choose songs that reflects the British attitude: a bit of fun. I think many of you are taking it way too serious. If our song does well, will you feel daft for saying the BBC got it wrong? Because do you know what? I think it will do better than our songs have done for ages.
  • Options
    InsanellamaInsanellama Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    No. I don't get why people think ITV will do a better job. If I had a choice it would be one of the smaller channels 4 or 5. Either of those channels would be thrilled with the ratings they could potentially get from the contest.

Unfortunately I think all the commercial channels will drop it if ratings start to decline, while I think the BBC are more likely to keep it going.

The other reason I rather it stayed on the BBC is because I am guessing if it was on a commercial channel they'd cut the interval act in the final in favour of commercials.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    FFS, every bloody year! "Oh I hate the song so let SIMON EFFING COWELL take control!" You can predict the same thing being said each time our song is revealed.

No, No, No. The BBC are fine with their stance. They give it good coverage. You don't like the song? So what. I do. Others do. And, what's all this "It doesn't represent the UK properly" bullshit? Of course it does. It is a song written by British people, performed by British people, singing in a style that is being listened to in Britain. Not by everyone. I admit. But I don't listen to Ed Sheeran. can't stand him. Sam Smith is Celine Dion with testicles. Dull and lifeless. I'm British. I don't feel they represent me. But, I like the eurovision entry. It is fun and it is quirky - everything about what being British is about. You don't like it? So what! Life doesn't revolve around you.

People calling out for public votes: if this years song was in the selection, the public would have voted for it! The BBC choose songs that reflects the British attitude: a bit of fun. I think many of you are taking it way too serious. If our song does well, will you feel daft for saying the BBC got it wrong? Because do you know what? I think it will do better than our songs have done for ages.

Do you think maybe you're just getting a teensy bit too worked up about this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Possibly, but every year people bring up the "Let Simon Cowell take over!" topic. Have they all forgotten how goddam awful those X-Factor winners songs are each year? They're like regurgitations of the last winner's songs, ad nauseum. And they want HIM, that vile, nasty man who controls his performers like puppets so he can profit from them, to take control of Eurovision? He would squeeze all the life and soul out of the contest.

(By the way, I'm not particularly struck on Cowell incase you haven't noticed!).
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take a gun to my head before I let ITV get their hands on Eurovision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I'd take a gun to my head before I let ITV get their hands on Eurovision.

:o please don't! :D
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    :o please don't! :D
    Hey, I don't sit on the fence about these things :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Hey, I don't sit on the fence about these things :D

And I do respect that :D
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the BBC's team just makes the minimal amount of effort possible. They try and say otherwise but I'm just not buying it. They simply don't care. The UK has been sending terrible entries for years and people still watch anyway.

Our entry this year could be half passable with some reworking but it just isn't going to happen.

I'd like it to stay at the BBC, but take it out of Katie Taylor's control and get a team in who actually have some passion for music/the Eurovision in general.
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the BBC's team just makes the minimal amount of effort possible. They try and say otherwise but I'm just not buying it. They simply don't care. The UK has been sending terrible entries for years and people still watch anyway.

Our entry this year could be half passable with some reworking but it just isn't going to happen.

I'd like it to stay at the BBC, but take it out of Katie Taylor's control and get a team in who actually have some passion for music/the Eurovision in general.

You cant say the BBC dont care about Eurovision when they just organised a massive concert with alot of europe best acts
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If ITV took over we'd get adverts.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    If ITV took over we'd get adverts.

Yep instead of the interval acts and thoes videos they sometimes do we would never have seen River Dance, Swedish Smorgasbord and the flash mob we would never have seen Lynda Woodruff either :(
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Just no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have to say, beyond the fact that there is no proof Simon Cowell would do a better job than the BBC, would he even WANT to do it? I seriously doubt it, as much as people joke about X Factor it's far more respected in the music industry than Eurovision! It's not like ITV would plough loads of cash into it, either.

I just don't get the suggestion at all.
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Look what they did with JESC. I know that's a whole different kettle of fish, but that should indicate that this isn't even a plausible idea. I do believe Guy and his team like this song, he has faith in it, but sadly it just doesn't do anything for me, personally.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member

Some people get a wee bit upset when you say anything bad against the BBC lol :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Would ITV even want it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't have to be Cowell just ITV in general they've done many shows like DOI , Im A Celebrity, etc many other entertainment shows . They might have more of a gap with DOI not on anymore they could replace it with some Eurovision show to find the star or showcase songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    Some people get a wee bit upset when you say anything bad against the BBC lol :D

It isn't about the BBC. It's about Cowell. If ITV had it, I would not want Cowell anywhere near it. I have said myself over the last few weeks that the BBC needs to look at itself because it is ageist, sexist and arrogant. But that's a totally different subject altogether.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would ITV even want it?

Why wouldn't they? They're members of the EBU and if BBCtv decided to pull out, the natuarl successors would be ITV. But, would they be prepared to show the semi-finals? They'd surely end up on ITV2?

Incidentally, is this the last year BBC3 will show the semi's? Will they migrate to BBC2 next year?
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they? They're members of the EBU and if BBCtv decided to pull out, the natuarl successors would be ITV. But, would they be prepared to show the semi-finals? They'd surely end up on ITV2?

Incidentally, is this the last year BBC3 will show the semi's? Will they migrate to BBC2 next year?

next year BBC3 will still exist as a broadcast channel in may