Options

Should STJ be replaced

megashoppermegashopper Posts: 6,237
Forum Member
Watching The Voice on Saturday I got an odd impression that Sir Tom was a bit "disconnected". Particularly when he was asked how he felt about only one of his acts going through to the semis, he just stared into space, which I thought was freaky. Should Tom be replaced?

My personal opinion is yes he should be, but I'm not sure who would replace him: Elton, David Bowie, Lulu ??????

Comments

• Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes he's a great guy but he's not exactly oozing with personality on The Voice.
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Tom goes Annie Lennox should be his replacement
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I wouldn't miss the endless name dropping. I know he's a bit of a music legend but I find that part of his dialogue a bit grating and usually irrelevant.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    No, not unless he wants to be.
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be honest he was the main reason most people took interest in the first series and gave it credibility with the Saturday night viewing populous.

Will has taken over as the main personality of the show and so as long as he stays STJ could back out if he wished. I don't think he needs to be replaced in fact a quieter steady older mentor works well to counterbalance Will's dynamic bouncing personality.

The other two mentoring positions could be taken by anybody frankly although "eye candy" types of either sex seem to be the order of the day.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My personal opinion is yes he should be, but I'm not sure who would replace him: Elton, David Bowie, Lulu ??????

Lulu????????????????? Good God, No!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite. She's the only one of those three who would do it, though.
  • Options
    lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get Rid
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    Let's be honest he was the main reason most people took interest in the first series and gave it credibility with the Saturday night viewing populous.

Will has taken over as the main personality of the show and so as long as he stays STJ could back out if he wished. I don't think he needs to be replaced in fact a quieter steady older mentor works well to counterbalance Will's dynamic bouncing personality.

The other two mentoring positions could be taken by anybody frankly although "eye candy" types of either sex seem to be the order of the day.

I think it depends on what part of the audience you're talking about. I don't know which age bracket The Voice is most popular in but I wouldn't be surprised if some young kids / teenagers had never even heard of Tom Jones. The draw for them would have been Jessie J and Will.
  • Options
    Alex_McNameeAlex_McNamee Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Tom goes Annie Lennox should be his replacement

Definitely!
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he looks grumpy and does not join in the banter and fun of the other panelists. If I was Ricky or Rita he would make me feel nervous.
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Lulu.. I recall she was a guest coach on American Idol when they had British invasion week. Believe me she was wonderful and got the respect and the best of the contestants.. Jordan Sparks for example loved her. Lulu loves music and knows her stuff, I truly do not know why she is overlooked for these shows and BGT and X Factor.
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »

I always seen to remember in the earlier series that Tom was name dropping artists he had worked with all the time and the other judges weren't able to compete :D

Perhaps, Tom might decide after this series has finished, that enough is enough and leave. I do that Will will stay as long as he has someone that he can have banter with (I.e. Rita Ora). Like I have said on a previous post, I thought that Will was mostly bored until his acts came on, particularly Lucy and following her performance, couldn't stop talking about Disneyland :D
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like TJ and wouldn't like to see him replaced. At his age I expect he doesn't get much offers of tv work, so I'm sure he is quite happy to be where he is now, doing The Voice, even though he may not show it sometimes.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TJ has said he is going nowhere, doesn't understand the rumours.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching The Voice on Saturday I got an odd impression that Sir Tom was a bit "disconnected". Particularly when he was asked how he felt about only one of his acts going through to the semis, he just stared into space, which I thought was freaky. Should Tom be replaced?
    But Will stares into space all the time and often appears very 'disconnected' from the show as he's always on Twitter.
    And any one of them could appear 'disconnected' if caught by the camera at a particular time.

So are you really saying that STJ needs to be replaced because he's too old?
    Elton would be interesting I think....
    Lulu.... perhaps not...
    and Bowie.... don't think he'd do it and if he did he'd be more 'disconnected' than you think STJ is.
  • Options
    Alex_McNameeAlex_McNamee Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he looks grumpy and does not join in the banter and fun of the other panelists. If I was Ricky or Rita he would make me feel nervous.

I agree. It'd be like having your grandad at a high-school party :p

I think we need someone older (experience) but more fun (viewing figures). Annie Lennox seems to follow suit.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think we need someone older (experience) but more fun (viewing figures). Annie Lennox seems to follow suit.
    Annie Lennox and fun don't seem to go in the same sentence. In any case, I don't think she'd do it in a million years.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    But Will stares into space all the time and often appears very 'disconnected' from the show as he's always on Twitter.
    And any one of them could appear 'disconnected' if caught by the camera at a particular time.

So are you really saying that STJ needs to be replaced because he's too old?

Elton would be interesting I think....
    Lulu.... perhaps not...
    and Bowie.... don't think he'd do it and if he did he'd be more 'disconnected' than you think STJ is.

I make no claims for the accuracy of this but I did read recently that the legend that is Bowie may have dementia. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    All he seems to do is shout 'Yeeaaauuuh!' at random moments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make no claims for the accuracy of this but I did read recently that the legend that is Bowie may have dementia. :cry:

Oh no, I hope not :( I know he's very reclusive, a bit like the male version of Kate Bush. Regardless of his health I think it's safe to say he won't be appearing on The Voice in any capacity. I think there's more chance of Kate Bush appearing, and that's saying something! :)
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How old? Someone "old" like Robbie/Kylie or Bowie/Stewart?

Do people really think Elton John will even consider doing the show? Considering he always mouths off at talent shows and specifically criticised The Voice in America?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    How old? Someone "old" like Robbie/Kylie or Bowie/Stewart?

Do people really think Elton John will even consider doing the show? Considering he always mouths off at talent shows and specifically criticised The Voice in America?
    The only person suggested who would do it is Lulu.
  • Options
    DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes hes just not suited to this show.
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    paul mc cartney wiould be good