Worst joke/line in Friends

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
Forum Member
What's the worst joke or line in Friends you can remember? After watching the episode "The One With Joey's Interview" I would have to say this line was utter shite.

"P as in Phoebe, H as in hoebe. O as in oebe, E as in ebe, B as in be-be and E as in Ello mate!"

What utter tripe of a punchline! :eek: This made no sense whatsoever.

Comments

• The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's any one that will only be funny to an Amercian audience. The writers knew Friends had mass appeal outside the US, but still included jokes that made no sense in the rest of the world.

A couple of examples -

"You've got to stop the Q-Tip when there's resistance!"

- That's great but we call them cotton buds, and you are advised never to put them down your ears. There will always be differences in language, but when they say flashlight instead of torch, or purse instead of handbag, the visual, or the context will allow you to still understand the joke. The Q-Tip line had no context, and didn't make sense unless you knew Americans refered to cotton buds as Q-Tips.

"Yes, we'll have ourselves a little baby Ruth."

- Apparently a Baby Ruth is some kind of chocolate bar in
    America. I didn't know that until I looked it up. Poor choice of joke.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but it probably killed first time round in America.

But I do agree, not everyone will get it - just like the Jeffersons reference Chandler made when he opened Monica's closet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but it probably killed first time round in America.

But I do agree, not everyone will get it - just like the Jeffersons reference Chandler made when he opened Monica's closet.

Thank you! I knew there was another example I wanted to add to my post but I couldn't remember it, and that's the one. I think Chandler was referencing the Sanford & Son theme tune (the American Steptoe & Son). It may be an American institution, like Steptoe & Son is here, but it's a pretty vague reference for an international audience to get.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Thanks for explaining the Q-Tip one. I never got that. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for explaining the Q-Tip one. I never got that. :D

Thank you for perfectly proving my point! The two quotes I gave I never understood either until I looked them both up. As I'm sure you'll agree, a joke simply isn't funny if it needs explaining.

Back in Series 1 - for example when they hum the theme to The Odd Couple (another look-up) together in Central Perk, you can forgive them because they didn't know how popular the show would become overseas. But as the show progressed, they really should've taken account of their wider audience, not just those in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's any one that will only be funny to an Amercian audience. The writers knew Friends had mass appeal outside the US, but still included jokes that made no sense in the rest of the world.

A couple of examples -

- That's great but we call them cotton buds, and you are advised never to put them down your ears. There will always be differences in language, but when they say flashlight instead of torch, or purse instead of handbag, the visual, or the context will allow you to still understand the joke. The Q-Tip line had no context, and didn't make sense unless you knew Americans refered to cotton buds as Q-Tips.

I've always known them as q-tips and this going 25 years.
    The Baby Ruth one I didn't get for ages tho, so I agree with that one.

Also the Odd Couple was popualr here...I remember watching that when I was young too.
  • RubberSoulRubberSoul Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A couple of examples -

So the writers of US sitcoms shouldn't ever include lines that most people outside of the US won't get? That seems to be the utterly ridiculous suggestion you're making.

It takes seconds to seach Google or Wikipedia to understand any jokes concerning people/things/places that aren't widely known on this side of the Atlantic anyway. Then when you next watch, you'll laugh.

The Q-Tip line is a great one. It has no place in this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also the Odd Couple was popualr here...I remember watching that when I was young too.

Reckon I'm probably just a few years too young to remember that one then. Odd about the Q-Tips, I mean I seriously had never heard of them being refered to anything other than Cotton Buds until I looked them up after that Friends episode.
    RubberSoul wrote: »
    So the writers of US sitcoms shouldn't ever include lines that most people outside of the US won't get? That seems to be the utterly ridiculous suggestion you're making.

No, I'm just suggesting that they should be more aware when, for example, using the names of branded products that those items may not be available in other countries, or if they are, may go by different names. If you'd bothered to read my earlier post instead of throwing insults, you would have read that I said that differences in languages can easily be overcome either by a visual reference, or by the verbal context in which the word in question is used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I never knew what Q-tips were but I had a feeling they were cotton buds. What a stupid name Q-tip!?

Any other unfunny lines?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reckon I'm probably just a few years too young to remember that one then. Odd about the Q-Tips, I mean I seriously had never heard of them being refered to anything other than Cotton Buds until I looked them up after that Friends episode.

Lol, great I feel old now (Im only 29 as well)!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, great I feel old now (Im only 29 as well)!

Sorry! Didn't mean that to happen. :o I just compared our ages, and thought that if you remember The Odd Couple and I don't, I must just have missed it by a couple of years, as there's not that much between our ages.

As for other unfunny lines, I have to say I'm struggling. None immediately spring to mind.
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    i'm 25 and knew what q tips were when the line was aired years ago :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry! Didn't mean that to happen. :o I just compared our ages, and thought that if you remember The Odd Couple and I don't, I must just have missed it by a couple of years, as there's not that much between our ages.

As for other unfunny lines, I have to say I'm struggling. None immediately spring to mind.

Mind it was on late at night I seem to remember. My parents used to be downstairs working in our pub, so I probs took advantage of watching what I wanted. I do remember watching Children Of The Corn when I was about 7/8 lol!

There were al lot of 'forced' jokes coupled with over acting, esp from Monica near the end. Joey went OTT as well.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Baby Ruth line is just the same as Del Boy saying "let's have a Ruby Murray" - I doubt few would get that Stateside.
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    What's a Ruby Murray :o

I'm guessing curry but you never know!
  • crakecrake Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrinityMG wrote: »
    What's the worst joke or line in Friends you can remember? After watching the episode "The One With Joey's Interview" I would have to say this line was utter shite.

"P as in Phoebe, H as in hoebe. O as in oebe, E as in ebe, B as in be-be and E as in Ello mate!"

Could that be any less funny?
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,936
    Forum Member
    TrinityMG wrote: »

What utter tripe of a punchline! :eek: This made no sense whatsoever.

I didn't get that one iether. Also it may just be me but in the ep they find out who came on to whom with ross & rachel. It was near the start of the ep. They cut it out in the E4 repeats. All I can remember is that it was pheobe who said it.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't get that one iether. Also it may just be me but in the ep they find out who came on to whom with ross & rachel. It was near the start of the ep. They cut it out in the E4 repeats. All I can remember is that it was pheobe who said it.:cool:

It could be one of several, but was it this one (definately cut on E4)? -

~~~

Ross: (entering) Rachel won’t talk to me! She won’t even open the door!

Phoebe: Hmm, I wonder why. Pervert!

Ross: Okay, listen I am not a pervert!

Phoebe: That’s like the pervert motto! Yeah! Yeah! They have you raise your right hand, put your left hand down your pants, and repeat that!
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

America. I didn't know that until I looked it up. Poor choice of joke.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they say a little Babe Ruth? Wasn't he one of the most famous Baseball players in the history of the game?
  • RyAn_?RyAn_? Posts: 6,283
    Forum Member
    lol this isnt a line or anythign but its the one episode of friends I dont like to re-watch-

not sure on its proper title but its the one from season 10 where Joey speaks french.

I thought it was pretty pathetic.

Phoebe teaching him and he just repeats crap-funny at first but then just....:yawn:

friends threads always make me wish for news of a reunion....:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    RyAn_? wrote: »
    lol this isnt a line or anythign but its the one episode of friends I dont like to re-watch-

not sure on its proper title but its the one from season 10 where Joey speaks french.

I thought it was pretty pathetic.

Phoebe teaching him and he just repeats crap-funny at first but then just....:yawn:

friends threads always make me wish for news of a reunion....:cry:

Yeah I thought the same. It just seemed SO impossible that someone could be so stupid and not repeat what someone said. Towards the end of the seasons Joey just become so stupid and a caricuture of his former self.
  • TrellyTrelly Posts: 3,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »

Didn't they say a little Babe Ruth? Wasn't he one of the most famous Baseball players in the history of the game?[/QUOTE]

I always thought that was about babe ruth as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Ruth

Just googled baby ruth and got the same thing, anyone have a link to this choc bar?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Ruth

Ok found the baby ruth choc bar
  • rayofsunshinerayofsunshine Posts: 5,310
    Forum Member
    One thing i have never understood is when chandler sings "Ground Control to Major Tom...". Where is that from and why was that funny. I could be too young to understand it though....
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    The only reason I know what a Baby Ruth is is because Chunk gave one to Sloth in The Goonies and Sloth then sang about #Ruth baby# :rolleyes: :D
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing i have never understood is when chandler sings "Ground Control to Major Tom...". Where is that from and why was that funny. I could be too young to understand it though....

It's an old David Bowie song...

Regarding Q Tip and why it would seem to be an odd name:

From Wikipedia:
    Though its true name is cotton swab, in North America it is most commonly called a Q-Tip. "Q-tip" has become a genericized trademark in much of Canada and the United States, mostly credited to it the company that invented it, and is the world's largest producer.