No sound on PS3?

Can someone help ive had my PS3 all day and I still cant get any sound on it. I have it conected with an HDMI cable and have just had to buy a new one cause was told mine could be faulty but im still not getting any sound everythime I select the HDMI as the audio output it keeps saying this HDMI does not support audio output but it clerely does because it works ok on other items, any help would be apprciated, I hear people have these problems with xbox360 and had to switch something on so dont know if that may be the reason on PS3, Im so upset at the minute

:(:(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you playing GTHD because there have been problems with the sound on that. If not then try it on another TV, if still nothing then it sounds like a fault on your PS3 :(
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no cant get any sound at all I just dont understand it cause the picture is fine just no sound
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time i have had a similar thing happen is when the plug into the back of my TV came loose, sorry i can't really help you :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Have you tried using the AV adaptor & plugging the red & white leads into your TV or speakers? Then change your audio output to AV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all amps and TV handle HDMI audio.
    To link to my current amp I had to change the audio output in PS3 to use optical not HDMI

Under Settings, Audio Output Settings try Digital Out (Optical) - if you have such a cable.

Automan.
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im having the same problem, my ps3 is connected to tv via hdmi & i used the cable supplied with the ps3 to connect tom my amp but cant get any sound even though i changed the setting, just wont work! my sky hd is wired up the same way and is fine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,169
    Forum Member
    You have to change the output formats to the alternative.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiooutput.html
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sound is fine, apart from Motorstorm, one track on that over deviates.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was having a similar problem, mainly down to the HDMI output settings.

Having checked the correct boxes to get audio from games (which were silent when I first set up the PS3), I found I was only getting partial audio (dialogue not working) from DVD playback.

I fixed this by unckecking a load of boxes, and got the DVDs to start talking, but then found the games were silent again :mad:

This morning i set the HDMI output setting to automatic (rather than manual) and lo and behold, both games and DVDs have audio! :D

The lesson of my experience: The PS3 is far more intelligent than me.