Google TV/Sony NSZ-GS7

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I'm very new to the world of Google TV, but the other day I bought an Android/Google TV Sony NSZ-GS7 set top box.

I must admit although I'm impressed with the technology itself and many of its features I am somewhat disappointed in Android/Google.

Firstly when I bought it I was told I'd be able to download Android Apps as normal, and I'd have things like iPlayer already installed. Apparently not.

Only a small selection of apps are available, none of them any good or relevant for a TV box - no BBC iPlayer, no 4OD, no Sky News etc. all just shitty phone apps like Wifi signal meters, crap games and pointless utilities. What the hell is the point?! :confused:

Youtube, when accessed via browser seems to be 'unable to load' all the time, unless you directly search for a video and click on that direct link. It always fails to load when looking at related videos, second parts, trying to access other videos uploaded by the same user etc.
The Youtube app is stable, but many things (such as 4OD) don't seem to be accessible through that :confused:

Lastly it doesn't seem to support my portable USB hard drive (when 2 previous non-Android Sony Media Boxes worked with it fine).

Why is it all so shit and fragmented?
Surely this isn't complicated stuff to get right?
If you're going to make a smart TV box they should let you be able to actually watch TV on it, shouldn't they?! :confused:

I've done some cursory Googling but very out of my depth. I've come across 'sideloading', my question is can you sideload free apps such as iPlayer, 4OD and Sky News from other sources? If so, how?

Also, is there anything that can make Youtube work properly in Chrome? Or the possibility of loading another browser?

Apparently there is a software update to fix a few glitches but it's only available in the US and only works on US boxes. Why?! :confused:

Edit: Also, when I pause videos in Youtube, in-browser that have adverts (such as 4OD vids) it crashes and you have to go back to the start" :mad:

Comments