If 'Moulin Rouge' were released today

vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've heard 'Moulin Rouge - Lady Marmalade' so much recently and it got me thinking, who would be on this record if it had been made today?

Pink is the only one on the record who still has a successful music career. Funnily enough I think it would pretty much be the line-up of 'Bang Bang' but with one more person involved in the Christina role.

Comments

• SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I was thinking the Bang Bang trio too!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did or someone did a thread on this years ago

I had down

Katy Perry
    Nicki Minaj
    Gaga
    Rihanna
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had down

Katy Perry
    Nicki Minaj
    Gaga
    Rihanna

That'd be really good!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think the lineup would be:

Katy Perry
    Rihanna
    Beyonce
    Nicki Minaj (or maybe Iggy Azalea)
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

I had down

Katy Perry
    Nicki Minaj
    Gaga
    Rihanna

Well that line up could live up to the "lesbian orgy" rumours about the previous one, for sure! :D
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I instantly ruled out all of those because they're HUGE! At the time pink and Christina had released one album each, Lil Kim was a feature girl and Mya was...available.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce wouldnt work with any of the others, she wouldnt 'lower' herself I'm sure.

As for who would be on it, I agree, it would have to be current B- and C- list female singers. Ariana Grande would be there I guess as Mya, possibly also Iggy Azalea as the rapper, maybe Miley Cyrus in a raunchy outfit to take Pink's role, and then we'd need a black girl as Christina to balance the cast out - Jennifer Hudson, maybe? or Fantasia? Struggling to think of B- and C- list African-American singers who havent been around a long time and so would be too old and spoil the feel of the thing.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina - Ariana Grande
    Pink - Miley Cyrus
    Mya - Jesse J
    Lil Kim - Nicki Minaj
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    See I instantly ruled out all of those because they're HUGE! At the time pink and Christina had released one album each, Lil Kim was a feature girl and Mya was...available.
    Agreed. CA was, IMO, the only real 'name' on that record. Some people may have heard of Pink, but Li'l Kim and Maya were pretty much un-known outside any fanbase they might have had.

The equivalent today might be Ariana Grande as the fairly well known 'name', Sia as the 'up and coming', and then pick any two female solo 'R n' B' artists out of a hat to make up the numbers. If you've already heard of them, reject them as they're too well known.
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P!nk: Charli XCX (More credible, not typical pop)
    Mya: Tinashe (Less well known R&B with a sultry voice)
    Lil' Kim: Azealia Banks/Nicki Minaj (Out there sexy rapper)
    Christina Aguilera: Demi Lovato (Well liked by teens, big voice)
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure Nicki Minaj would wangle her way in somehow
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of the originals. P!nk is the only one who is still relevant and infact doing better than ever!

Funny how thats happend? (Love P!nk:blush:)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink hadn't developed as an artist back then. Her label forced her into the R&B genre, but she eventually fought back with her second album and became the artist we all know and love today.

The lyrics in Don't let me get me really show the evolved nature of her as an artist between her first and second album. She was thankfully a short lived example of how controlling labels want their artists to be.

LA told me, "You'll be a pop star,
    All you have to change is everything you are."
    Tired of being compared to damn Britney Spears
    She's so pretty, that just ain't me

Doctor Doctor won't you please perscribe me something
    A day in the life of someone else, I'm a hazzard to myself

You would never see the Pink of today doing a song like that or even wearing the clothes she was wearing in that video.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I think if it was released today it would do pretty well. It might not get as much airplay though, as radios tend to be bind into contracts that only allow them to play dull r&b songs and the occasional 80's hit. But Pink and Britney are still relevant. Christina is fine when shes collaborating with other artists, and the others have their niche fanbases.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly the 'Bang Bang' trio plus Rita Ora?
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd probably want it to be a bit different, so maybe they could do it with male artists? What about: Sam Smith, Adam Levine, Jason Derulo and some random rapper, I dunno Macklemore or Whizz Khalifa or something.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce wouldnt work with any of the others, she wouldnt 'lower' herself I'm sure.

As for who would be on it, I agree, it would have to be current B- and C- list female singers. Ariana Grande would be there I guess as Mya, possibly also Iggy Azalea as the rapper, maybe Miley Cyrus in a raunchy outfit to take Pink's role, and then we'd need a black girl as Christina to balance the cast out - Jennifer Hudson, maybe? or Fantasia? Struggling to think of B- and C- list African-American singers who havent been around a long time and so would be too old and spoil the feel of the thing.

She wouldn't work with Fantasia , that's pretty certain .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzKkK7ncbM
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga as Christina Aguilera.
    Rita Ora as Pink.
    Ariana Grande as Mya.
    Iggy Azaela as Lil Kim.
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mya - Lea Michele, she has a sweet voice and a nice face, but really just so I can free up Ariana to be Christina!
    Pink - Jessie J she has a unique, recognisable voice and can be tomboyish
    Lil Kim - Iggy Azalea. Nicki Minaj is too obvious, and too established now. Iggy would probably be sultry like the other girls rather than in your face like Lil' Kim
    Christina - Ariana Grande, just because she's the only girl remaining with a big voice whos remotely suitable
  • Kirsty_Jones90Kirsty_Jones90 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    somehow I always found All Saints rework more fun than the later Moulin Rouge one:D
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Christina - Ariana Grande
    Pink - Miley Cyrus
    Mya - Jesse J
    Lil Kim - Nicki Minaj

This is about right.

- Christ, what an awful thought! :o

(I'll keep the original...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Christina - Leona Lewis (Will show a different side to Leona, has the voice to match)
    Pink - Jessie J (Distinct enough voice, can play the tomboyish character similar to pink)
    Mya - Ariana Grande (Just breaking through, perfect for the sultry voice)
    Lil Kim - Nicki Minaj (The rapper, the fierce character)

As you can see, it is the Bang Bang line up plus Leona Lewis. This would be a smash hit today with these ladies leading the way.