Options

Is Jodie too fat to be Nancy?

Comments

• Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    She is not too fat.
    She may be a mix of too "old" and too buxom. Certainly for me.

But she's lovely looking.
    I'd just prefer a younger Nancy whom I could feel really had to struggle to assert herself and didn't have much natural pzazz but had to overcome her background and expectations to defy the gang.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is not too fat.

I'd just prefer a younger Nancy whom I could feel really had to struggle to assert herself and didn't have much natural pzazz but had to overcome her background and expectations to defy the gang.

I agree with this completely, I would want nancy to be a little older then the dodger, to emphasise that fagin also took her under his wing, and shows that he still has control over her, thats why i think jessie looks perfect for the part, however i would rather jodie win then sam, as i don't think sam looks like nancy at all, I can't decide why :confused:
  • Options
    GlinnyGlinny Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he thinks Jodie is too big to play Nancy (which is an absolutely dreadful thing to say) why on earth did he cast Sally Dexter in his last revival of Oliver :confused:.

She was not a young slip of a girl. She was exactly the same as Jodie is now.

JODIE TO WIN - She is perfect for the role of Nancy :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    She is definitely not too fat to play Nancy.

And Cameron should be backing Jodie, because she's the only one even remotely capapble of playing Nancy in about 6 months time. Sam and Jessie wouldn't be ready for the role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jodie is the perfect Nancy......no matter what they say
  • Options
    MamaboogieMamaboogie Posts: 3,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's reverse psychology - maybe CM really
    DOES want Jodie to win - but is worried that Jessie might pip her to the post.

So, he's being all negative - to try and get more people to vote for Jodie!:D

Or else he's just a complete &*$%*

TBH - all this 'fat' thing leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. The fact that we have people on here saying that Jodie is 'too fat' to play Jodie says more about the people posting than Jodie herself.

Can we please remember that Marilyn Monroe was size 16?
    Matronly? I don't think so!
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine how she is going to feel if she reads that artical. After she worked so hard to loose weight.
    C.M isn't a very sensitive man is he.
    If there was a weight requirment for the roll it should have been stated in the autition requirments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she beat 5000 [people to be there...so suddenly they think shes not suitable........I think not................
  • Options
    LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    Of course Jodie isn't too fat to play Nancy.:rolleyes:

However, if Cameron does have an issue with her size, there are six months until curtain up. As we're always being told that Jessie/Sam will be able to learn to dance/act in that time, I can't see why Jodie can't lose some weight. If it's that big a deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, it's a guaranteed way to get even more people to vote for Jodie!

Slag her off for her weight and watch the votes come flooding in!
    If he really hoped to put people off then it was a dumb thing to say!
  • Options
    cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DigiPal wrote: »
    It seems to me that they're all begining to realise that it's Jodie who has the public vote, and in order to save their favourites, the only thing they can start doing is bashing Jodie on weight issues (they've already had a go on age as well - haven't they?)

If the creative team are "really" saying such things, and it's possible that they have been misquoted in the first place, they should all be thoroughly ashamed of themselves

Seems to me that they never really belived that Jodie would go so far and are terrified at the prospect that she will win the final

As far as I'm concerned, I've loved Jodie from the start and would love to see her win

Good post - I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's a guaranteed way to get even more people to vote for Jodie!

Slag her off for her weight and watch the votes come flooding in!
    If he really hoped to put people off then it was a dumb thing to say!

exactly my point...
  • Options
    Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Sonia Swaby was my favourite Nancy in the Palladium revival 10 years ago. She was of a similar build to Josie. Size is not an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is not too fat.

I think Cleo would have been ace at this kind of Nancy. Unlike Sam and Jessie and Niamh, she wasn't given the opportunity to grow and improve vocally.

but, for me, who should be Nancy isn't about looks - all the girls were picked because they had something about them that would work as Nancy.

Now it's just about the talent - and for me, that's Jodie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I must say I do consider looks as a fairly important part of the package.

But, having said that, Jessie looks more like what I specified above. Unfortunately I just don't rate her movement or her acting. So Jessie couldn't be my Nancy. And she's too tall.

So I am a bit "looksist". Shame Cleo didn't go further. She had the look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did agree that her vocals were inconsistant - but any more than the other youngsters? And I think she had more charisma them.

Let's think of it like Dr Who. When he regenerates he always looks different - this keeps the role fresh.

Was John pertwee too dapper for DW? Was Tom Baker too curly? Is David Tennant too thin? Was Christopher Eccleston too northern?

With Nancy some people imagine a waif, some imagine a buxom wench. I think either of these is fine. They both work.

Nancy isn't just one image of a person - line up all the people who've played Nancy professionally over the years and you'll have a line of very different looking people.
  • Options
    Angelica123Angelica123 Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I would take anything appearing in the Daily Goss with a pinch of salt. And considering that it's not even directly quoting CM makes me a bit dubious aboutaking the claim on face value. I'm not saying that it's not possible that CM feels this way, but I would be less surprised if it the Daily Goss taking 2 and 2 and getting 5.
  • Options
    LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    I agree that Cleo had a great look for the part. And I really warmed to her during the audition stages.
    Mamaboogie wrote: »
    I did agree that her vocals were inconsistant - but any more than the other youngsters? And I think she had more charisma them.

However, I think she was easily the worst singer of the bunch. I didn't notice this overly during her solos, but when she sang in the groups numbers it was obvious and then when she sang with Keisha in the sing off, there was just no comparison between them. Keisha was yards better than her. And I thought her ALAHNM was the worst of the bunch. I am sorry she wasn't better, because i liked her too, but I think she needed a lot more training before she was going to make it in MT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from wikipedia..

Is Jodie too OLD?

Nancy was corrupted at the age of six by Fagin, the lovable but villainous person who persuades downtrodden youths to do his bidding. Her exact age is not mentioned in the book , although she has evidently been a prostitute for 12 years, and is visibly in her twenties or thirties in film versions of the novel.

Is Jodie Too FAT?

She is described thus when she first appears "a couple of young ladies called to see the young gentlemen; one of whom was named Bet, and the other Nancy. They wore a good deal of hair, not very neatly turned up behind, and were rather untidy about the shoes and stockings. They were not exactly pretty, perhaps; but they had a great deal of color in their faces, and looked quite stout and hearty."

So that's no and no.

Nancy is supposed to be "quite stout and in her late twenties"

The only think Jodie has "done wrong" is fallen foul of a couple of body facists on this show...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBKrayzee wrote: »
    from wikipedia..

Is Jodie too OLD?

Nancy was corrupted at the age of six by Fagin, the lovable but villainous person who persuades downtrodden youths to do his bidding. Her exact age is not mentioned in the book , although she has evidently been a prostitute for 12 years, and is visibly in her twenties or thirties in film versions of the novel.

Is Jodie Too FAT?

She is described thus when she first appears "a couple of young ladies called to see the young gentlemen; one of whom was named Bet, and the other Nancy. They wore a good deal of hair, not very neatly turned up behind, and were rather untidy about the shoes and stockings. They were not exactly pretty, perhaps; but they had a great deal of color in their faces, and looked quite stout and hearty."

So that's no and no.

Nancy is supposed to be "quite stout and in her late twenties"

The only think Jodie has "done wrong" is fallen foul of a couple of body facists on this show...

Good post....................:)
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Deleted - wrong thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    i have never had a problem with jodies size at all but my mum (who is a dickens groupie) says that nancy can't be big because she is meant to live off gin and therefore is meant to be scrawny?
    i dont have a problem but i do see others arguments- i think jodie has a brilliant chance of winning it and if she does i certainly wont be selling my tickets!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she lived off gin and bad unhealthy eating fat stodgy....
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CASPER1066 wrote: »
    she lived off gin and bad unhealthy eating fat stodgy....

I had a gin and tonic followed by a risotto for my evening meal.

Oh woe is me:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jodie is certainly not too fat to play Nancy!

I think that's an awful thing to say because IMO Jodie isn't even fat, she's an average size,she only looks bigger because the others especially Sam has a blink and you'll miss it waist! Anyone would look big standing next to Sam and Jessie each week who still have the luxury of being in their teens where weight doesn't seem to stay on girls.