Dandy to close after 75 years

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    It's still available online at publisher's Dc Thomson. Also, Scots might like to know that it is on sale in Braehead Shopping Centre, nr. Glasgow - a "pop up" shop has appeared there for a short time to sell only the last issue!

:(

I was in braehead this morning and lasteverdandy.com pop-up shop is busy but still has stock.
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was such a comic nut in my childhood. They bring back so many great memories, I have been tempted to buy some old Monster Fun and Beano/Dandy annuals from E bay. It's such a shame that The Dandy had to close but all comics must have their day.

Let's hope the Beano will carry on.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    The online Dandy's first full issue is now available.
    http://www.dandy.com/issue-1.aspx
  • craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its sad to see the dandy ending but to be honest it ended years ago for me. I was a mega comic ( uk comics ) nut when I was a kid in the late seventies and eighties. The last time I bought it the quality of artwork had taken a serious nosedive and some of the characters/storylines were awful.
    Going back to the seventies/eighties I remember both the beano and dandy selling out every week at our local newsagents, and they never had adverts in back then!
    As well as DC comics I used to love the IPC magazine publications - whizzer and chips, whoopee, buster and the excellent ( but short lived ) scream and school fun.
    The humour was different then though and even now I occasionally read some of my old comics/annuals and they still make me chuckle.
    Guess times have just changed
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Read the Beano when I was young in the early-mid 00's.. did not know the Numskulls was originally a Dandy thing!
    Forum Member
    It's not. The Numskulls were originally in the Beezer. They moved to the Beano in 1993 after Beezer ended, and now the online Dandy has it's own version.
  • JoddleJoddle Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad but the time ad come - I remember when as a youngster I would wait each week for each edition of the Dandy, the Beano , the Beazer and the Topper when at my grandparents as at the time there was nothing else to do in a city but read - and of course watch the 20mins or so of childrens tv each day!

I remember when the format started to change and was most upset because to my mind all the ads and full colour spoiled everything.
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    td1983 wrote: »
    I put my order in online, heard nothing from them, then got a delayed response to my email (at around 6.40 last night, and two days late!) informing me that 1,000 copies have already been sent out, and another 2,500 are to be dispatched soon, including mine. I just hope it arrives before Christmas!

I still haven't received mine :(
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I finally managed to get a copy last week. Took me a while to get one though. I used to like the Dandy for a while as a kid but overall I preferred the Beano. Still, it's nice to have a copy of the last ever edition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I still haven't received mine :(

same, been over a week since i ordered, hope it comes soon :mad:
    Forum Member
    Rickyp08 wrote: »
    same, been over a week since i ordered, hope it comes soon :mad:

I ordered it from DC Thompson on 6th December and they took the money out a week ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I ordered it from DC Thompson on 6th December and they took the money out a week ago.

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7847/viz07325dcthompsoncouch.jpg

:D
    Forum Member
    Where's that strip from?
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Where's that strip from?

Viz
    The strip "****** Watson", a parody of the children's comic character Winker Watson, led to litigation by D. C. Thomson & Co. Ltd, the owners of the Winker character. In retaliation, Viz featured a new character called 'D.C. Thompson The Humourless Scottish Git'. D.C. Thomson then sought revenge by publishing a new cartoon "The Jocks and The Geordies", a revival of an old strip from The Dandy, in which the Geordies (clearly representing Viz) competed with the Jocks (clearly representing Thomson) in a competition to design funny cartoon characters. The Geordies' miserable efforts bore sharp similarity to actual Viz characters, such as 'The Boy with Big Pants' - a reference to Felix and his Amazing Underpants. (Chris Donald's book Rude Kids: The Inside Story of Viz, notes the good-humoured nature of the latter stages of this episode).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viz_(comic)#Controversy
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sad however it looks set to go digital anyway so it won't be permanently gone.

The story-lines and drawings were lame and the cost was too high so these didn't help. Same for the Beano.

I wonder if that will be axed as well?
  • AndyB100AndyB100 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I believe that, unlike all the closed publications listed, the Beano is still in the black, despite falling sales.

There are a lot of reasons for the price hikes since I started reading the Beano when it was about 5p or 6p in the late 70s. The change from 20 pages of b&w/spot colour/four pages full colour on newsprint to 36 pages of high quality paper in full colour (litho?) is by far the biggest; falling sales is inevitably another.

The price also compares favourably to children's magazines in supermarkets and WHS etc, with arguably more actual content between the advertising. The one competitor which is a traditional style comic aimed at children younger than 2000AD's audience is the Phoenix, a weekly comic which started in January and is available in Waitrose, Forbidden Planet, and other comic shops and is £2.99 for 32 pages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    has anyone else who bought the last edition online from DC Thompson received their copy yet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    has anyone else who bought the last edition online from DC Thompson received their copy yet?

Mine hasn't arrived yet. I ordered it the week it failed to arrive in most shops.
    Forum Member
    Strange, because I know they reprinted it and shops which sold out now have it in stock again.
  • sjamessjames Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got mine in the post yesterday from the DC Thomson shop and I ordered it the week of release, so maybe you'll get yours soon?

Incidentally, there's a programme about 75 years of The Dandy on BBC 1 Scotland tomorrow night at 9pm.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine came friday.

Honestly though, after reading it, I can see why it went out of business. So many of the strips were terrible.
    Forum Member
    sjames wrote: »
    I got mine in the post yesterday from the DC Thomson shop and I ordered it the week of release, so maybe you'll get yours soon?

Incidentally, there's a programme about 75 years of The Dandy on BBC 1 Scotland tomorrow night at 9pm.
    Tonight - it was past midnight when you posted that. I'm in England and only have Freeview, so I'll watch that on iPlayer later (should show up as soon as it finishes at around 10pm, hopefully).
    Forum Member
    Have to say, despite my searing negativity about The Dandy's situation earlier in this thread, I can really dig their new digital approach.

Daughter got a lovely fast Nexus 7 tablet off us for Christmas, and while she was doing something else I decided to steal it for two mins and take a look at the new Dandy online. You can't access a great deal, just enough to give you a preview of what they're offering, but it's really neat and to me is a cool look at perhaps where comics could go in the future. It works so well with the tablet/touchscreen paradigm, much nicer than a desktop or laptop.

My only thoughts are how they translate this coolness into a living. I couldn't make out how they charge for the comic this way, so if anyone can enlighten me that would be great. I saw the options to register, but didn't want to as kids are too old now, but I may give it a go just for my own curiosity. :D
    Forum Member

My friend got his on Friday, I haven't got mine yet. He ordered his after me!
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Have to say, despite my searing negativity about The Dandy's situation earlier in this thread, I can really dig their new digital approach.

Daughter got a lovely fast Nexus 7 tablet off us for Christmas, and while she was doing something else I decided to steal it for two mins and take a look at the new Dandy online. You can't access a great deal, just enough to give you a preview of what they're offering, but it's really neat and to me is a cool look at perhaps where comics could go in the future. It works so well with the tablet/touchscreen paradigm, much nicer than a desktop or laptop.

My only thoughts are how they translate this coolness into a living. I couldn't make out how they charge for the comic this way, so if anyone can enlighten me that would be great. I saw the options to register, but didn't want to as kids are too old now, but I may give it a go just for my own curiosity. :D
    Once you register (all you need is an email address), you'll see options to buy Dandy credits. You can get a few as 100, which is enough for one issue and costs £1.49, or as many as 5000, which equates to 50 issues and works out a lot cheaper at just £29.99, which is about 60p an issue. They'll probably add back issues of the print comic eventually, which I suspect will cost a different number of credits. Issue zero is free and doesn't require registration. You only enter your credit/debit card details when buying the credits.