Glee (US Pace) (Part 5)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huggzy wrote: »
    Oh god, I forgot about that 5 minute storyline with Ryder. I remember being so unbelievably flabbergasted by it. I think I wrote on here at the time that it was the first time I'd ever actually yelled "WHAT?!" in a combination of frustration and confusion at Glee before. A lot of S4 is lost in the void for me. I hope to get around to rewatching Glee from the start prior to S6 starting/ending but I'm afraid that my current feelings of nostaliga with Glee will be replaced with anger at the weird paths the show took sometimes.

I've decided to think of season 4 as that period where things got crazy. Like, when you're a teenager, and you have this identity crisis of "I don't know what I am." A bit like when Quinn died her hair pink and got the tattoo, they just got a little lost ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've decided to think of season 4 as that period where things got crazy. Like, when you're a teenager, and you have this identity crisis of "I don't know what I am." A bit like when Quinn died her hair pink and got the tattoo, they just got a little lost ;-)

I mean good on them for trying something new. I like that they tried to tell NYC and Lima at the same time. In some episodes it worked quite well but less so in others. The first 4 episodes of season 4 were sublime but as often happens in Glee the first few episodes after a break are great and then it sort of descends from there until the next break.

I'm looking forward to them playing "time catch up" in the next few episodes of S5 to get us back to the present day. The Glee year that never ended is finally coming to an end and they can sing songs that have actually been released based on the time the episode is set in (I'm looking at you "A Katy or A Gaga"!)...
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So are they just going to drop the new ND's? Wade, Ryder, Kitty etc?

Seems a bit unfair on them (as actors), personally I blame the writing for them not being as popular, although I know they didn't sing quite as well as the old ND's. But Marley did well on Locked Out of Heaven and would have done OK if she had been given better songs.

I'll miss the New NDs if not the storylines. (Another love triangle was all we needed).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems a bit unfair on them (as actors), personally I blame the writing for them not being as popular, although I know they didn't sing quite as well as the old ND's. But Marley did well on Locked Out of Heaven and would have done OK if she had been given better songs.

I'll miss the New NDs if not the storylines. (Another love triangle was all we needed).

I don't think it's known yet. They could yet make an appearance in S6. We won't know until closer to the time and even then I wouldn't rule anything out until the season has aired because Glee and rumours are just too dangerous a mix.

I think they've made their intentions abundantly clear towards to the NND in their latest move though. Apparently a song has been cut from the episode that is airing tonight:
    They've cut "Total Eclipse of the Heart" which featured Will, April and the NND (as backing vocalists but still).
    which is INCREDIBLY frustrating as I've really been enjoying that track. Glee makes some dreadful decisions and the fact that they've cut that but left in Holly Holiday's meaningless drivel of a performance is ridiculous. It's probably the last time the NND are going to be shown performing in their own right (although expect much swaying in the back and silent looks in this episode). Very annoyed by that move but hopefully they'll make the most of the time they needed in the episode.

Also, so much for the "fans vote for their 10 favourite songs to be reperformed" as a marketing technique. They completely ditched that idea apparently.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member

I agree. The writing team really let them down because the actors seemed really nice and could act well and some possibly could out sing the original cast like I think Jake can out sing every male in the original New Directions, this may be an unpopular opinion but that's including Kurt and Blaine (imo).

They really made them seem like Rachel, Quinn, Finn, Puck and Mercedes 2.0 rather than attempting to give each character multi dimensional, solid storylines. I thought Unique's catfish storyline was really good and showed some layers in the character but in Season Five the plot was basically ignored and forgotten. I shipped Ryder and Unique so hard aswell :(.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. The writing team really let them down because the actors seemed really nice and could act well and some possibly could out sing the original cast like I think Jake can out sing every male in the original New Directions, this may be an unpopular opinion but that's including Kurt and Blaine (imo).

They really made them seem like Rachel, Quinn, Finn, Puck and Mercedes 2.0 rather than attempting to give each character multi dimensional, solid storylines. I thought Unique's catfish storyline was really good and showed some layers in the character but in Season Five the plot was basically ignored and forgotten. I shipped Ryder and Unique so hard aswell :(.

Marley's eating disorder story line was very poorly written. Especially the Kitty clothing alteration part.

The Marley, Jake, Ryder love triangle was just a rehash of Rachel, Finn and Quinn. I'm glad they've made Marley choose neither of them now and be her own person.

The catfish storyline was interesting but I could never see Ryder going gay or bi, so not sure where that could lead other than Ryder being prejudiced.

Kitty has been wasted, she is a good singer and could have done with some better solos.

Wade/Unique has been great but not enough of him/her.

Jake has sung well in his solos, I wasn't sure I'd like him but he is good when he is mellow and not trying to hard.

I just wish Glee had been brave and done New York as a spin off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chums is the best thing ever.

"... Sam? Where are your clothes?!"
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as it looks as though Sky might not bother showing Glee, where do you watch the US episodes?

Just because it is not on sky atm does not mean they are not going to bother showing it, they have already said that they are going to show the rest all in one go after they have all aired in the US so be patient :D

Anyway just seen 100th ep and loved it! was great seeing the old Glee gang together again especially Quinn and Britney :D glad Quinn got with Puck in the end and it was nice they mentioned Finn as like someone else said he was a massive part of the Glee Club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this was another really get ep imo...

Party all the time was alright, but completely pointless. The fact that Holly was dancing with totally strangers pissed me off too, should of at least included Santana/Britt/Mike/Jake rather than just extras.

Loved Be Okay, it was really sweet. What I wasn't too keen on was Santana saying she wanted all the shows - that wasn't why she started it all in the first place. But I much prefer her and Rachel as friends than enemies.

Just Give Me A Reason is quite possibly one of my favourite performances ever. Making it as simple as they did was stunning for a Quick shipper, all it needed was them for me. Rachel/Lea's faces in it were pretty heartbreaking though, but I loved her smiling at the end too. It being Glee Club's last song was honestly like RIM were hugging me personally. To make me wait five years for Quick and make them the "full circle" moment actually melted my heart.

The video for Will was really sweet. I've disagreed with what he's done on many occasions but I will miss him, he's so much a part of Glee.

Seeing Don't Stop Believing without Cory really got to me. I also take back what I said about Kurt's first part. NOBODY else should have been standing with Rachel instead of Finn. Her best friend, his brother. I wasn't so keen on Blaine suddenly jumping in there, especially when Puck didn't really have a solo...

I liked the NND's scene at the end, it was a nice little moment. i will miss them. Oh and Becky and Sue! And Santana's coming back!

The voices at the end, and Finn. I don't think I realised how much I miss Finn until then. And how much that closing door meant.

Loved...

Santana's "Wanky" and Quinn telling her to shut it.
    Puck's comment about Quinn's "magic garden and Santana, Britt and Unique's faces.
    Every time Quick were near each other.
    "I became a man who was nice a relatively large portion of the time" Oh Puck.
    Hepburn and Tracie and their future conception using a surrogate and Quinn's egg.
    Sue admitting how well Will did.
  • Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had childhood flashbacks during the chums bit! Was it a coincidence that the glee version of friends happened to be callled chums or are the glee writers aware of the SMTV chums?!
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a really nice episode to end the Lima side on. :)

A shame that Santana is only making guest appearances from now on although if rumours are to be believed (SPOILERS)
    Santana was reportedly written out here earlier than she was suppose to be due to another main cast member (thought to be Darren Criss) leaving at the end of the current series and not returning for Series 6 due to unrest within the cast and they didn't want two major characters departing at the same time which is a shame as their right near the end now. :(
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good ep. Lots of nice touches.

I think part of the problem wit the new-New Directions was introducing them en masse. If a few of them had been introduced in the season before, people might have accepted them being the main focus.

And they should have hung on to Sugar!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think it was as good as the last episode but that could be because I saw it first thing in the morning rather than late at night when I'm in a better mood.

I liked 'Party All The Time' A good 80s song.

Shame Tina isn't going to New York but they gave her character a good send off, seeing as she was the Cinderella of the show. "Chums" felt a bit forced but was funny in a cliched way.

Good to see Becky graduate.

I think they gave the New NDs short shrift. It wasn't their fault they were not as popular as the old NDs.

Can't help feeling the old Glee is being shafted for 'The Rachel Berry Show', when instead they should have just done it as a spin off.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    That was a little better than the 100th episode. A nice sense of closing the door on McKinley for good, which they basically did here.

The tribute videos to Will and the last scene with him and Sue worked pretty well too.

Rachel and Santana's feud got resolved in a rushed manner but I don't think they could've sustained it for much longer though anyways.

Everyone's graduated, so I guess it's New York for most of the gang then.

Santana/Brittany and Quinn/Puck are officially back together.

Liked Holly and April in this episode but again, where was Emma, Figgins and Beiste?

Music wise - Party All The Time, Don't Stop Believing and Just Give Me A Reason hit the right notes, 8/10
  • Amy_Jayne93Amy_Jayne93 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    So this was another really get ep imo...
    Seeing Don't Stop Believing without Cory really got to me. I also take back what I said about Kurt's first part. NOBODY else should have been standing with Rachel instead of Finn. Her best friend, his brother. I wasn't so keen on Blaine suddenly jumping in there, especially when Puck didn't really have a solo...

^ I agree with this. I don't think I would have been okay with any one else standing with Rachel at the start either. I liked Kurt's solo but I couldn't help but notice the lack of Cory. I also agree about Blaine suddenly jumping in, I just felt like that as soon as he joined in the song he was the center for a large proportion of it. I don't mind him getting a solo in the song but I do think other characters should have got a solo bit before him (for example, like you said, Puck).

Talking about Don't Stop Believing, Rachel/Lea singing Finn/Cory's part at the start of the song was so sweet yet heartbreaking. I also enjoyed Will getting a small solo. Also, I may be wrong here, but did every one come on the stage in the order that they joined the Glee club?

I liked that Santana and Rachel finally made up; I thought it was really nice of Rachel to offer Santana ten shows whenever she wants as I can understand how difficult for Rachel that would have been. Although I didn't appreciate Santana's response to that offer I did like that she admitted to Rachel that Broadway is not for her and that she simply went after it because she is a horrible person.

I loved that they remembered the Kurt/Mercedes friendship. I did laugh over their argument about the potatoes and that they were glad that no one had witnessed it, only for Artie to point out he was behind them in the queue. I also liked their interaction during the Be Okay performance.

I thought the final scene with Kitty, Ryder, Jake, Marley and Unique was quite sad. I did, however, like the implication that they will all still be friends despite the fact Glee club has ended. I will be the first to admit I have complained about them in the past but I will miss them to be honest.

I will probably get some people disagreeing with me, and that's fine as every one has their own opinion, but I am so glad Tina isn't going to New York with every one. I could honestly do with a break from her, which is sad as I used to really like her character. Just the past couple of seasons I have found her selfish and insufferable, plus I've never been overly keen on the trio of Tina/Blaine/Sam (don't get me wrong by the way, I enjoy the Sam/Blaine friendship).

The video scene and the final scene were quite hard hitting. I will be the first to admit that I have not been much of a Will fan in the past (particularly during season 2), and there were a few things in the video that I didn't find myself agreeing with 100%, but it was a touching sentiment to his character at the same time. Also his final scene with Sue was bittersweet, she had finally won but at a cost. I loved Sue admitting that Will has accomplished a lot in Glee club (which despite what I have said I agree with). The end of Glee club teaches you a hard lesson in life too, that good things must come to an end.

Rest of the music:

Just Give Me A Reason. Along with I am Changing this was my favorite song of the episode. My love for 'Quick' may make me somewhat biased but it was just such a simple, beautiful performance. I did feel for Lea/Rachel through the song though, she looked on the verge of tears through the performance.

I am Changing. I loved this duet so, so much. I know it's not to every one's taste but I though Amber and Chris both did brilliantly in this song.

Loser Like Me. I think I liked this song...? I liked the slower version and any chance to hear Artie sing is a good thing in all honesty!

Party All The Time. I actually quite enjoyed this song but I can't help but think they threw it in for something for Gwyneth Paltrow to do... Still the performance was enjoyable; Kurt's dancing in particular made me laugh!

Be Okay. It was good. I have nothing negative to say about it, but it was probably the song that was least memorable for me this week.
  • dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S

Thats Blaine all over. Had to get his irritating face everywhere.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Can we have Holly back?

That girl is infectiously fun to watch. I actually really like Paltrow on Glee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention, during the Temple Grandin bit, Holly said Temple 'over come autism'.

Not keen on that phrase, as Autism isn't really something you over come.

If anything Temple embraced her Autism and overcame the prejudiced and ignorance that prevailed during her time. Thankfully Temple was able to use her gift with understanding animals to achieve in life.

It wasn't a big deal but could have been phrased slightly better.

P.s. Even the National Autism Association (fictionally) complained.

P.s.s. I missed Sugar too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dubgaz wrote: »
    Thats Blaine all over. Had to get his irritating face everywhere.

It is not like the character of Blaine came to life and put a gun to the head of one of the writers and made them write him in.

Also if you watch the performance closely, Santana whispers something into his ear just before he joins Will in the song. So perhaps she said something to him to get him to sing.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this coming back to sky one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I will never understand the Blaine hate, and as an aside the Darren Criss hate that seems to go hand in hand with it on the internet in general. It's a character! Yet people seem project their unhappiness with their own favourite characters/actors development onto him.

I don't like a fair amount of characters on Glee but I love Glee so take their involvement as part of the enjoyment of the show, but find it sad that Darren gets so much hatred.

As far as I see, he has the best range of the current male stars of the show for the
    Variety of songs and in off
    Screen interviews is often the most genuine, articulate and pleasant and you rarely hear a bad word against him from the wider media. Lots of rumours about cast
    Members resenting him but nothing proven, and he obviously has a great relationship with Chord, Harry and others. No, he's not the best actor OR singer in the cast but I am happy to say I think Darren seems a great
    Guy and think Blaine is utterly dorkily adorable, and just don't get the hate. So he wasn't an original? So? Chord wasn't either and he doesn't get slaughtered online!
  • XOXoAbbieoXOXXOXoAbbieoXOX Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be in the minority but I really didn't like "Just Give Me A Reason".

I thought Quinn was too sickly sweet sounding on it which didn't seem to work for the song and Puck's solo just wasn't long enough and there was just no attempt at the notes that Pink can do which brought the song down a fair bit for me.

I know they are not Pink or Nate Rouess (sp?) and want to make the song their own but I just didn't like that version at all.

Loved the tribute to Will and it felt like this episode was the final ever episode, the way it all played out.

I liked how emotional Sue got when Becky graduated and the hug she gave her was genuinely heartfelt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Loved the tribute to Will and it felt like this episode was the final ever episode, the way it all played out.

I liked how emotional Sue got when Becky graduated and the hug she gave her was genuinely heartfelt.

It was the last episode of real 'Glee' for me. The New York stuff will be 'The Rachel Berry Show' as far as I'm concerned. But I'll definitely watch it anyway.

The hug seemed to be as much between two actors as between their characters. I know some people with Down's syndrome have difficulty distinguishing between acting and reality, (based on watching the BBC3 Documentary about a group of Down's syndrome actors), but I'm sure they both felt the same way anyway.
  • Amy_Jayne93Amy_Jayne93 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Lildeakin wrote: »
    I will never understand the Blaine hate, and as an aside the Darren Criss hate that seems to go hand in hand with it on the internet in general. It's a character! Yet people seem project their unhappiness with their own favourite characters/actors development onto him.

I don't like a fair amount of characters on Glee but I love Glee so take their involvement as part of the enjoyment of the show, but find it sad that Darren gets so much hatred.

As far as I see, he has the best range of the current male stars of the show for the
    Variety of songs and in off
    Screen interviews is often the most genuine, articulate and pleasant and you rarely hear a bad word against him from the wider media. Lots of rumours about cast
    Members resenting him but nothing proven, and he obviously has a great relationship with Chord, Harry and others. No, he's not the best actor OR singer in the cast but I am happy to say I think Darren seems a great
    Guy and think Blaine is utterly dorkily adorable, and just don't get the hate. So he wasn't an original? So? Chord wasn't either and he doesn't get slaughtered online!

I apologize if you thought my post was attacking Blaine/Darren as it wasn't meant to be interpreted that way. It was just this one instance (this version of Don't Stop Believin') where I would have rather have seen the cast of season one singing a solo part of that song even if it meant giving Blaine in a smaller part in this song. I'm not saying he shouldn't have got a solo in the song as he is a very important part of the show and a good singer, but I just thought it would have been nice to have Puck/Mike/Quinn etc. get a solo part as well.

I actually love Darren Criss, as he comes across as a very nice man who appreciates every thing he is a part of including his acting roots that has helped his success happen. As for Blaine as a character I like him overall and love the 'Klaine' relationship. Has Blaine annoyed me in the past? Yes. But in all honesty there is probably a handful of characters who have never annoyed me. To be fair though if these characters (Blaine included) didn't have any flaws or annoying moments then this show would probably be boring and very unrealistic.

At the end of the day every one has their own opinions and we just have to respect that some people are just not going to like some characters we love (I know for a fact a lot of people dislike Kurt who is my favourite).

I can't agree or disagree with you on a wider view as I really only have a vague idea of people's opinions on this forum. There are a lot of people who have reasonable explanations for why they don't like Blaine (I've seen a few people who find him hypocritical, selfish, whiny etc.), and I am sure it is the same for both of us with characters we don't like (for example I don't like Tina as I find her extremely selfish). Sadly it seems Blaine is more disliked than other characters, but then again people may just be more vocal about their dislike of him because he is on the screen more and have more reason(s) to dislike him. Also I can understand that others might be frustrated that he is on screen a lot more than other characters they prefer (even if that isn't Darren's fault).

Again I am sorry if you took my earlier comments as an attack, I genuinely didn't mean it that way, and I appreciate your opinion. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply and I agree with you re DSB actually, it's just whenever I lurk on here there's someone criticising him , and alongside elsewhere it just baffles me!!

Actually wasn't your reply really just a general observation about attitudes towards the character abd actor generally on 'fan forums' whereas the general audience' seem to love him!! Just seems odd Darren particularly gets a lot of flame!!