Options

BBC1 8-11pm: Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony Glasgow 2014

Comments

• Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. She is the quality act of the whole palava.

One reason why Scotland should remain with the UK and still have our Queen as head of state rather than Alex Salmond!! ;-)
    Haha why thank you! Don't have any spare rooms do you?

A fellow celt, you're welcome in Wales. ;-)

Scotland are in a much better position, however I would be against Wales to go independent ...... we have an assembly which is bad enough, I wouldn't want any more devolvement from the UK though.

I will be amazed if the 'yes' vote wins in September, when push comes to shove and the pencil is hovering over the ballot paper, how many will want to sever their links to the rest of this great kingdom of nations? :confused:

Stay with us Scotland. ;-)
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    :) Suffolk's lovely, it's got one of the lowest rainfalls of any county in England , & Salmond never comes here !

...and neither does much else, sadly:)
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkie66 wrote: »
    I think Paul could have made a better job of Mull of Kintyre

That's about the most sensible thing anyone has said. Susan Boyle only sang the one song and couldn't even manage to remember the words of that.

People going on about Paul McCartney obviously have no idea of the amount of good songs written by him. Ok, he's lost his voice now, but so have many other singers who are his age and they don't get constantly taken one at. Leave him alone and pick on someone else for a change.

If Mull Of Kentyre is such a crap song, how come it is still one of the biggest selling singles of all time?
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »
    Where were the Krankies?

You mean Alex Salmond and Niclola Sturgeon? :blush:
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    How discourteous, turning up late.:(

Can't say I blame them, they certainly didn't miss anything worth seeing.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The black singer in the red dress. She was wonderful. The athletes' parade was good, but then it's hard to cock that up anyway. The Scottie dogs were also great. Everything else was quite spectacularly mediocre.

Obviously better than Susan Boyle but I did not think she had the right voice for that song. Much preferred Julie Fowlis later on, she had the right voice for her song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the minutes silence for the plane crash felt crowbarred in to proceedings. Suprised they didn't have one for Peaches Geldof too.

All the Malaysian athletes wore black armbands and I think their flag might have been at half mast so it seemed very apt to have a one minute silence. It was well observed except the idiot taking the 'selfie'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're talking nonsense, Glasgow doesn't take itself seriously at all.

Though it is advisable to be very careful making any reference to football teams, they take that very seriously and people have lost their lives over it.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    All the Malaysian athletes wore black armbands and I think their flag might have been at half mast so it seemed very apt to have a one minute silence. It was well observed except the idiot taking the 'selfie'.

Yeah, sorry, I was being just a tad flippant with that comment:)
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd have you believe a lot of things.
    Many Scottish nationalists would have you believe it was England that ran the world and poor wee Scotland was just another of our colonies.

Strange because most Scottish people I've met are not resentful of England at all (well none actually), even the ones who support independence. Still believe what you want.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    I will be amazed if the 'yes' vote wins in September, when push comes to shove and the pencil is hovering over the ballot paper, how many will want to sever their links to the rest of this great kingdom of nations? :confused:

Stay with us Scotland. ;-)

Nah, Scotland, do yourself a favour and do what Ireland did a century ago. And I bet they're glad they weren't a part of tonight's "Empire Games"... It was all a bit embarrassing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After all that farcical faffing about trying to get the scroll out of the torch...THE QUEEN DIDN'T EVEN OPEN THE BLOODY THING!!! She had the contents of it already in front of her by look of it.
  • Options
    PhoenixPhoenix Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I thought SuBo's performance wasn't so bad.. . Most of the audience in the stadium probably didn't notice her slight fluff.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I didn't know there was a larger thread in this forum...

As I said in the other thread, I thought, on the whole, that was a magnificent show. But I suppose you can't please everybody, as many of the comments on here have proved tonight.

And what a shame that many seem be turning this into yet more religious bigoted nonsense what with the Queen appearing at Celtic Park (not on here, but Facebook from what I've read so far).
    Why can't people just leave the Celtic vs Rangers shite alone for once and just enjoy this for what it was - a celebration of the Commonwealth, Scotland and the wonderful city that is Glasgow.

It's these types of thuggish louts that give Glasgow a bad name
  • Options
    PhoenixPhoenix Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Why all the Barrowman hate? I thought he was very good!
  • Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Oh I didn't know there was a larger thread in this forum...

As I said in the other thread, I thought, on the whole, that was a magnificent show. But I suppose you can't please everybody, as many of the comments on here have proved tonight.

And what a shame that many seem be turning this into yet more religious bigoted nonsense what with the Queen appearing at Celtic Park (not on here, but Facebook from what I've read so far).
    Why can't people just leave the Celtic vs Rangers shite alone for once and just enjoy this for what it was - a celebration of the Commonwealth, Scotland and the wonderful city that is Glasgow.

It's these types of thuggish louts that give Glasgow a bad name

I happened to be reading this forum during the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony and loads were saying how sh#t it was, disgrace to the country etc.

Yet the rest of the world seemed to enjoy it. I think that this forum has a fair few miserable folk to be honest who love to moan at anything:p:D
  • Options
    LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's about the most sensible thing anyone has said. Susan Boyle only sang the one song and couldn't even manage to remember the words of that.

People going on about Paul McCartney obviously have no idea of the amount of good songs written by him. Ok, he's lost his voice now, but so have many other singers who are his age and they don't get constantly taken one at. Leave him alone and pick on someone else for a change.

If Mull Of Kentyre is such a crap song, how come it is still one of the biggest selling singles of all time?

I agree with you about Macca and his songs. Bloody brilliant legacy for the most part. His voice isn't what it was, but he doesn't deserve all the flak he gets.

I also think most people have been very hard on SuBo. She has Aspergers after all. She may have fluffed a few of the words, but overall I thought she sounded good (her voice has a lovely, pure quality to it).
  • Options
    LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Why all the Barrowman hate? I thought he was very good!

Me too. With so many negative comments on this thread (although many of them tongue in cheek), it's good to see some positive ones. Overall, I enjoyed the ceremony and think it unfair to compare it too much with London 2012's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh Id love it have it off with keeley
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkm5i6e8JGU
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm holding a children's party this weekend. Where can I get hold of the organisers of this?
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My take on it.

I thought it was good, but not great. There were flaws. But for what it was Glasgow did us proud. I felt proud to be Scottish and proud to be from Glasgow, born and bred.

The main negatives is that during the middle it became rather dull with all the different nations walking into the stadium, it felt like it took forever for that to wrap up. It was nice to watch but took too long.

However my main criticism was the opening 15mins feat. Karen Dunbar and John Barrrowman - really?! Really Glasgow?! That's the first thing you want the rest of the world to see? They're hardly ambassadors for Glasgow! John doesn't even live in Glasgow and is Karen even famous anymore?! Yes, that's a serious question. You may as well have got Scottie McClue, at least he's funny! Oh and was any of the singing always 100% live because it didn't seem that way to me. Overall it was f*cking embarassing and a pure cringefest! I totally get it was meant to be tongue in cheek but it just didn't work. Hats off for the gay kiss thing, yeah Glasgow is progressive and all that but no - we didn't need to show the world that opening 10-15mins. Not one bit.

Everything after that was good i think. I think my other main concern is that i feel like we didn't have any real stars there. London 2012 gets Danny Boyle, we got Susan Boyle. Nuff' said.

(PS. Having said all that i may have felt more positive if i had actually been there. Watching it on tv is never going to be like experiencing the real thing.)
  • Options
    HissyMissyHissyMissy Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I vote St lucia for best dressed

Me too, but then I'm biased because my parents came from there! I cheered my head off when they came on!
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to know whose bright idea it was to book Karen 'unfunny' Dunbar for last night?.
  • Options
    babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do I start? In a few words I thought it was absolutely dreadful.. to the half filled seats right in front of the cameras to the whole cheapness of the production...Scotland has a wealth of talent, well it wasnt on show here...I was embarrassed watching the whole thing...Low budget, tacky and just CHEAP... what a pity..
  • Options
    lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    I'd love to know whose bright idea it was to book Karen 'unfunny' Dunbar for last night?.

probably the same person who thought blowing up a building live was a good idea. and the person who thought the team scotland uniforms were lovely :D