Options

Friends Gripes

Comments

• Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re watching random episodes on Comedy Central just shows what a complete tool Ross Geller was throughout the ENTIRE run. Right at the beginning when he finds out his ex wife is pregnant and his parents are visiting that day, tearing into Monica and generally insulting her he does absolutely nothing to defend her and says nothing about his situation until Monica shames him into it.

It always annoyed me that Rachel "got off the plane" and it always will.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Re watching random episodes on Comedy Central just shows what a complete tool Ross Geller was throughout the ENTIRE run. Right at the beginning when he finds out his ex wife is pregnant and his parents are visiting that day, tearing into Monica and generally insulting her he does absolutely nothing to defend her and says nothing about his situation until Monica shames him into it.

It always annoyed me that Rachel "got off the plane" and it always will

Agree! Was too cheesy and ending. And to your other point, Ross cares only about himself....He didn't care Emma was leaving with Rachel and Ben was barely mentioned
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Just what shape was the apartment building? So many walls, rooms and windows don't match up to how the set was dressed for it to have been an accurate building, more like something from Dr Seuss!

What do you mean?
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    What do you mean?

There's weird stuff like you get the feeling from their balcony that they are in the penthouse but they in another one they have an upstairs neighbour.
    The one where the woman is spying on Monica through the window in their living room but she can also somehow see Joey in his kitchen despite the fact there's no window in his kitchen and if there was it would be on the opposite side of the building than monicas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rachel's weirdest place to have Sex is "the foot of the bed" but she did it with a guy in her parents bed .. Surely that would be weirder no?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel's weirdest place to have Sex is "the foot of the bed" but she did it with a guy in her parents bed .. Surely that would be weirder no?

Weirder still maybe it was the foot of her parent's bed? ;-)
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Just what shape was the apartment building? So many walls, rooms and windows don't match up to how the set was dressed for it to have been an accurate building, more like something from Dr Seuss!

Monicas bedroom was never seen correctly either. When you see the gang in there (in the eppie where they are hiding because R+R are breaking up), the door leads straight out to the lounge, and there is a window above the door.
    yet whenever you see the door from the lounge which is always open, there is a wall that sticks out, suggesting you enter Monicas bedroon and have to go behind a wall untill you enter the main area.

My gripe is vegetarian Phoebe wearing mink. Ok it was only one episode but someone who supposedly loves animals and doesn't eat meat would never walk around wearing mink even if it was a gift. She struggles to eat veal when meeting Mikes parents but happily wears a mink coat.
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monicas bedroom was never seen correctly either. When you see the gang in there (in the eppie where they are hiding because R+R are breaking up), the door leads straight out to the lounge, and there is a window above the door.
    yet whenever you see the door from the lounge which is always open, there is a wall that sticks out, suggesting you enter Monicas bedroon and have to go behind a wall untill you enter the main area.

My gripe is vegetarian Phoebe wearing mink. Ok it was only one episode but someone who supposedly loves animals and doesn't eat meat would never walk around wearing mink even if it was a gift. She struggles to eat veal when meeting Mikes parents but happily wears a mink coat.

Plus she ate a shed load of meat when she was pregnant! But she did have her principles you know...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be fair about the mink she was conflicted about the mink and nearly everyone called her on it
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I thought in the episode where they are stuck in the bedroom listening to Geller and Rachel, they are stuck in the spare bedroom.

Agreed on the Phoebe/mink issue, I was under the impression the entire storyline was based around her conflicting beliefs and the other friends called her out on her hypocrisy.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As funny as their insults were, I thought that Chandler's parents arguing when he went missing on his wedding day was very selfish
  • Options
    pinkpowerrangerpinkpowerranger Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that the window in Joey's room is on the right but isn't that where the lobby stairs should be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the window in Joey's room is on the right but isn't that where the lobby stairs should be?

:confused: No.

The lobby stairs are behind the bathroom. The two bedrooms are on the opposite side of the apartment to the stairs.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Probably wasn't much they could do with it, Clean/tidy freak Monica has a space that is a mess....Where could it go?

But it was strange to include it and not expand on it

A bit like Phoebe tracking down her dad which was another thing they included and didn't expand on. She spent many an episode finding out where he lived and when she eventually finds him and they meet up in the coffee shop she never mentions him again.
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I thought in the episode where they are stuck in the bedroom listening to Geller and Rachel, they are stuck in the spare bedroom.

Agreed on the Phoebe/mink issue, I was under the impression the entire storyline was based around her conflicting beliefs and the other friends called her out on her hypocrisy.

It was definitely Monica's bedroom they were in. There was no spare bedroom as the other bedroom was Rachel's as she still lived there at the time.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I've seen this too! I can't think of any examples right now, but towards the end, Courtney Cox does it quite often!

She does, and I actually found it annoying.

cant think of any specific epsiodes of the top of my head, but I remember seeing repeatedly when vaguely dramtic things are happening or serious things, her reaction is all smiley and stifling laughs. The director should have had a word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always noticed with Rachel's bedroom that the small wall between the door and the room would vary in size. Sometimes completely masking the room and othertimes only partially.

I've just seen a behind the scenes video that says the bedroom sets were only put together when needed and that more often than not the Central Perk set was directly behind the bedroom doors so they put up small walls to conceal the view. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit like Phoebe tracking down her dad which was another thing they included and didn't expand on. She spent many an episode finding out where he lived and when she eventually finds him and they meet up in the coffee shop she never mentions him again.

Yeah, and when she finds out who her real mother is, we never see her again. Which was a shame since the actress was very believable as Lisa Kudrow's mother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Or was that just to show everyone what was in the closet?
    cris182 wrote: »
    But it was strange to include it and not expand on it

I think it was just included because a lot of viewers always asked what was inside. It was the only door we never saw them go through.

In real life, it was the door the actors/crew used to access the backstage area and leave the set. Then for that episode they had a props guy push a pile of random of objects in front of it.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geller is especially annoying in the Season 1 Poker episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Geller is especially annoying in the Season 1 Poker episode.

I always found Ross annoying. He went from whiny in the early seasons to despeately insane in the later seasons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I thought Phoebes Mother killed herself? I presumed the only female relatives she met were her twin & aunts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Phoebes Mother killed herself? I presumed the only female relatives she met were her twin & aunts?

In The One at the Beach she discovers her mother's school friend was actually her birth mother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    That clears it up. Cheers.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    In The One at the Beach she discovers her mother's school friend was actually her birth mother.

And we did see her at least once more. She gave Phoebe a puppy during the debate about whether Phoebs should carry her brothers children.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Question regarding Phoebe, Frank Buffay was her father, But he was married to the woman who wasn't actually her mother but Phoebe thought was her mother

So was he actually her father or was he just the man who was with her mother when her friend gave her two kids?

Or was he involved with Phoebes birth mother from the beach as well?