Options

Cuckoo - sitcom on BBC3

Comments

• Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    There can’t be many programmes where the character the programme is named after leaves and it still continues regardless!

Laverne and Shirley
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    There can’t be many programmes where the character the programme is named after leaves and it still continues regardless!

I suppose the title 'Cuckoo' can be taken two ways - firstly, referring to Samberg's character, and secondly, in relation to the idea of a 'cuckoo in the nest'.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    Laverne and Shirley

I knew this would start of a game... :D
    And yes well done, I wonder if there are any more...
    nick202 wrote: »
    I suppose the title 'Cuckoo' can be taken two ways - firstly, referring to Samberg's character, and secondly, in relation to the idea of a 'cuckoo in the nest'.

Yes, it still sort of works.
    You can’t blame Andy Samberg for not returning, he’s now a Golden Globe winning actor in a Golden Globe winning comedy. I was a bit surprised to see him in this in the first place, I guess the job offers weren’t coming in after ne left Saturday Night Live. Or maybe I’m being harsh and he wanted to get some acting ‘credit’ in the US for doing some BBC work.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taggart, Chico and the Man, and 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter spring to mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taggart, Chico and the Man, and 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter spring to mind.

The first two, yes, good answers.
    As for ‘8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter’, well the title only relates to the title character doesn’t have their name in it, plus the title had been shorted to ‘8 Simple Rules’ by then. Also, the mum was still in it so it could also relate to her. I’ll give you half a point. :p:p:p
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched all 6 episodes and thoroughly enjoyed this series, will there be more?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    notin wrote: »
    Just watched all 6 episodes and thoroughly enjoyed this series, will there be more?

Yes, starts next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, starts next week.

But without Cuckoo. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to miss him heaps! :(
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Do you fancy me'

I shouted yes :(
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, starts next week.

On Thursday.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They continued the Story of Tracy Beaker after the character left and renamed the show The Dumping Ground.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Greg Davies and I have seen most of the stuff he has done, but this completely passed me by.
    I saw a trailer for Series 2 and I realised I hadn't seen series 1 !
    So I've been watching it on iplayer, and it's great ! :)
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched some of the first series and the only thing that made it mildly amusing was the interplay between Andy Samberg and Greg Davies.

But I'm going to give this second series a go anyway, mainly because Esther Smith is in it. Saw her in Uncle and The Midnight Beast. She's lovely. :blush:
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    I watched some of the first series and the only thing that made it mildly amusing was the interplay between Andy Samberg and Greg Davies.

But I'm going to give this second series a go anyway, mainly because Esther Smith is in it. Saw her in Uncle and The Midnight Beast. She's lovely. :blush:

Not as lovely as Tamla Kari :(

I wonder if filming on Inbetweeners 2 clashed, or she just wasn't interested in another series of Cuckoo.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Cuckoo's back for a new series except there's no Cuckoo anymore, it's Cuckoo's son? Yet it's still Cuckoo? Fascinating! :D

I have to say that was the best part of Cuckoo series 1. I loved their relationship and to-ing and fro-ing back and forth. Without that i'm wondering what the tone of series 2 will be like.

Is Esther Smith from Uncle the one who played Nick Helm's sister and the mum of Errol? Yeah, she's very lovely! Really enjoyed her in Uncle. In Cuckoo is she replacing the actress who played Cuckoo's wife?

Finally.....Taylor Lautner? Really?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Greg Davies and I have seen most of the stuff he has done, but this completely passed me by.
    I saw a trailer for Series 2 and I realised I hadn't seen series 1 !
    So I've been watching it on iplayer, and it's great ! :)

Shamefully it didn't even get nominated for Best New Sitcom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So Cuckoo's back for a new series except there's no Cuckoo anymore, it's Cuckoo's son? Yet it's still Cuckoo? Fascinating! :D

I have to say that was the best part of Cuckoo series 1. I loved their relationship and to-ing and fro-ing back and forth. Without that i'm wondering what the tone of series 2 will be like.

Is Esther Smith from Uncle the one who played Nick Helm's sister and the mum of Errol? Yeah, she's very lovely! Really enjoyed her in Uncle. In Cuckoo is she replacing the actress who played Cuckoo's wife?

Finally.....Taylor Lautner? Really?!?!?!?!

According to the bloke at the Mail he's the reason to watch it. With some great lines. He doesn't seem to understand the quality of the lines are down to the writers.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched any of Cuckoo (series 1 or 2), but I'm going to start soon.

One thing though, Adam Samberg and Taylor Lautner are pretty big US stars, how could a BBC 3 show afford to get them??? That puzzles me!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG I didn't realise that Cuckoo was played by Andy Samberg from Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

He is so different compared to what he is like in B99. Although I can see the similarities now it is pointed out.

He is listed as being in series 2 though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    One thing though, Adam Samberg and Taylor Lautner are pretty big US stars, how could a BBC 3 show afford to get them??? That puzzles me!

Despite being on SNL, I’m guessing Adam Samberg wasn’t getting loads of big money job offers at the time so took the BBC Three job. Keep in mind it wouldn’t have been a long commitment as it was only 6 episodes, so nothing longer than if he had signed up for a movie. But now, he’s a Golden Globe winning actor on a hit US sitcom, so he doesn’t need to come back to a BBC Three programme.
    The same goes for Taylor Lautner, I guess he’s not currently flooded with job offers so took this job, again its no more commitment than a random movie.
    OMG I didn't realise that Cuckoo was played by Andy Samberg from Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

He is so different compared to what he is like in B99. Although I can see the similarities now it is pointed out.

He is listed as being in series 2 though.

Unless he has a brief cameo he’s certainly not in series 2. He does appear in the form of photos by the looks of the adverts, but that’s it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Not as lovely as Tamla Kari :(

I wonder if filming on Inbetweeners 2 clashed, or she just wasn't interested in another series of Cuckoo.

She's gorgeous ! :)
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't really a spoiler but the Tyger Drew Honey is being interviewed on Radio1 right now and he's said that character of Cuckoo
    is dead!
    and his long-lost son arrives.

Starts tonight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Taylor Lautner is playing Adam Samburg’s son? At first I thought that was ridiculous as I didn’t think there could be more than 10 years between them, but there’s actuality 14 years between them so with a bit of creative licensing it could be believed I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of Greg Davies (which I was, a few comments ago !), does anyone know if there's going to be a new series of Man Down ? (Obviously without Rik Mayall, who played Greg's dad)