Masterchef The Professionals - New Top Chef

Comments

• CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Whilst I loved Michel on all the previous series, there were more than a few occasions when I thought he was being far too nice to the contestants when they served up some disaster of a dish.

Whilst Marcus is blunt to the point of rudeness, given that this is supposedly a show for young professional chefs, I think he is right to expect them to be able to deliver a reasonable standard of cooking, and at least have mastered the basics, and with him in charge (alongside Monica), any shrinking violets should drop out now!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    We all have evidence of Marcus being rude .. we haven't much evidence of him being anything else though as some rightly thought .. he toned it down on his last appearance on Masterchef .. they were also correct in guessing the reason why.
    He's not a patch on Michel .. never mind .. things move on I guess.

He's not as nice as Michel, no way, but in a culinary sense he's right up there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm genuinely really looking forward to Marcus. He's a silver fox, like his predecessor, which doesn't hurt. I thought he was a revelation in the last series of normal MasterChef,, I loved the mentor side he showed when he took part in challenges. I said at the time, if this is his audition for pro masterchef, he's nailed it.

Yes he can be harsh, but come on. These are professionals. They claim to be the best of the best in their field, that's why they've entered the show. I think the judges should be harsh. If the judges had had more balls, we wouldn't have had an inexplicable double victory the year Anton should have walked away with it.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He lacks a sense of humour but his worse failing is the lack of encouragement he gives contestants when they work in his pro kitchen ... the difference between him and Michel or Tom Kerridge is like night and day and it doesn't yield results either .. with the contestants getting more flustered and as a result cocking up dishes.

As is shown in all walks of life .. you won't earn proper respect from people unless you treat them properly. I've no doubt he is a top chef .. I don't think he's a top bloke though. He actually enjoys striking fear in people ... he's worked hard on his scathing looks.
    You can be honest without being humiliating ... he only managed to do that last time out and that's because he was on a charm offensive. We'll be seeing more of that *shudders* ... it'll be like watching a snake ingratiating itself. Michel will be sadly missed by me .. he improved the programme so much. B*gger those Rooster potatoes :D
    Forum Member
    He lacks a sense of humour but his worse failing is the lack of encouragement he gives contestants when they work in his pro kitchen ... the difference between him and Michel or Tom Kerridge is like night and day and it doesn't yield results either .. with the contestants getting more flustered and as a result cocking up dishes.

As is shown in all walks of life .. you won't earn proper respect from people unless you treat them properly. I've no doubt he is a top chef .. I don't think he's a top bloke though. He actually enjoys striking fear in people ... he's worked hard on his scathing looks.
    You can be honest without being humiliating ... he only managed to do that last time out and that's because he was on a charm offensive. We'll be seeing more of that *shudders* ... it'll be like watching a snake ingratiating itself. Michel will be sadly missed by me .. he improved the programme so much. B*gger those Rooster potatoes :D

But if his style doesn't work like you say, how come he is a hugely successful chef and restaurateur?
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no....what happened to Michel? Doesn't he want to do it any more?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if his style doesn't work like you say, how come he is a hugely successful chef and restaurateur?
    I was saying how it doesn't yield results for the contestants .. I guess if you work with him day in day out you just have to suck it up. He himself was a protegee of Gordon Ramsay I believe .. another one who doesn't know how to speak to people properly. It hasn't stopped him from being successful either.
    I imagine the success comes from being a good chef .. you don't have to be pleasant for people to want to eat at your restaurant. But I've always thought that some chefs (and Wareing is practically top of the list if you don't count Ramsay .. Atherton's another one) speak to their employees in a way that would be unacceptable in most other professions. Sometimes literally screaming in their faces. And all because they didn't put some foam in the right place.

It's only my opinion though. He's a bit marmite. He's the chef equivalent of James Jordan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no....what happened to Michel? Doesn't he want to do it any more?
    I believe he was told to stop sponsoring Albert Rooster's potatoes as it was a conflict of interest (or some such b*llsh*t) .. anyway he refused and so they've given the gig to Marcus Wareing. Possibly that was their motivation in the first place .. who knows. Big mistake in my book but we'll see.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe he was told to stop sponsoring Albert Rooster's potatoes as it was a conflict of interest (or some such b*llsh*t) .. anyway he refused and so they've given the gig to Marcus Wareing. Possibly that was their motivation in the first place .. who knows. Big mistake in my book but we'll see.

There was a statement from the BBC about but can't see it on the BBC Press Office site (sure it was there previously). From what I remember they did try to arrange a compromise but he would not change his mind about doing the advert.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I was saying how it doesn't yield results for the contestants .. I guess if you work with him day in day out you just have to suck it up. He himself was a protegee of Gordon Ramsay I believe .. another one who doesn't know how to speak to people properly. It hasn't stopped him from being successful either.
    I imagine the success comes from being a good chef .. you don't have to be pleasant for people to want to eat at your restaurant. But I've always thought that some chefs (and Wareing is practically top of the list if you don't count Ramsay .. Atherton's another one) speak to their employees in a way that would be unacceptable in most other professions. Sometimes literally screaming in their faces. And all because they didn't put some foam in the right place.

It's only my opinion though. He's a bit marmite. He's the chef equivalent of James Jordan.

I saw Gordon Ramsay doing an interview with Sue Lawley on how to to motivate staff (at a personnel conference) - and apparently he has one of the best records for long serving staff of any chef. His staff turnover is neglible, which is amazing in the catering industry. So despite the TV persona, he must be doing something right, as if working for him was really so awful, most people would vote with their feet!

Another point to note - whilst doing that interview - the guy was really really nervous and uncomfortable - his body language was "beam me up!" Tying his legs round the chair, hunching up and very very softly spoken..... Total opposite to the confident sweaty bully we see on TV.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I saw Gordon Ramsay doing an interview with Sue Lawley on how to to motivate staff (at a personnel conference) - and apparently he has one of the best records for long serving staff of any chef. His staff turnover is neglible, which is amazing in the catering industry. So despite the TV persona, he must be doing something right, as if working for him was really so awful, most people would vote with their feet!

Though I would think some, like Michel Roux Jnr, will be encouraging staff to progress by getting more experience elsewhere and then getting more senior jobs or setting up their own restaurants. So just retaining staff for longer could mean he has people who can't get work elsewhere. Probably not the case but has to be considered.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Though I would think some, like Michel Roux Jnr, will be encouraging staff to progress by getting more experience elsewhere and then getting more senior jobs or setting up their own restaurants. So just retaining staff for longer could mean he has people who can't get work elsewhere. Probably not the case but has to be considered.

Of course, GR doesn't actually work in any of his restaurants now so that may be something to do with it as well. Certainly when he did then having him on your CV was like golddust.
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elena wrote: »
    Thank goodness Monica is staying!

Yes, definitely. She's the star.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like I'll be giving the next series a miss then. Why not Marco. Why why why.

Out of interest, what do you foodies think of this desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwTNS0nioFg

Was discussed on reddit today. Personally I think it's a mess on a plate. Very sloppy and just looks rubbish.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like I'll be giving the next series a miss then. Why not Marco. Why why why.

Out of interest, what do you foodies think of this desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwTNS0nioFg

Was discussed on reddit today. Personally I think it's a mess on a plate. Very sloppy and just looks rubbish.

But it doesn't even look as if it is on a plate! It looks like they just splatted and dumped everything directly onto the table top.

Yuck.
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With MRJ there was always the emphasis on being trained in the French classics. One of the early rounds required creation of a French dish which MRJ made on camera first. I wonder if this will continue. It would be rather nice if they put some emphasis on British classic dishes (I appreciate that some will deny that any exist) and a bit less on smothering everything in butter and cream. I was reminded of this by Food & Drink tonight where MRJ had some banter with Monica about healthy dishes and the French obsession with sauces.
    Forum Member
    With MRJ there was always the emphasis on being trained in the French classics. One of the early rounds required creation of a French dish which MRJ made on camera first. I wonder if this will continue. It would be rather nice if they put some emphasis on British classic dishes (I appreciate that some will deny that any exist) and a bit less on smothering everything in butter and cream. I was reminded of this by Food & Drink tonight where MRJ had some banter with Monica about healthy dishes and the French obsession with sauces.

There certainly are some British classics and I hope Marcus does them, but he is also fairly classically trained so not sure he will.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really going to miss MRJ. He was demanding but also immensely encouraging. And cute. :blush:
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just seen a trailer for the new series with Marcus Wareing and Monica which starts on Tuesday 4th November on BBC 2.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I love Marcus, but I accept that he is very "marmite"
    Me too.

That'll be a 'must watch' for me then ;)

He's a killer in the kitchen......I have visions of some of the pro chefs shitting themselves on camera :D
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this going to be the official discussion thread?

Not sure about MW taking over from MRJ, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    Is this going to be the official discussion thread?

Not sure about MW taking over from MRJ, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

I haven't found another thread so far!

Evening all :)
  • strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all, hope everyone is nice and cosy, it's horrible out there tonight.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't look at Gregg Wallace without cringing about him wearing no pants, bleugh
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all - "journey" already! :D