EastEnders | Tuesday 29th July 2014 | Carol's Big Day...BBC TWO 8PM

1234568»

Comments

• venus223venus223 Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    No, should have been left in the past!
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Felt the operation preparation scenes were very poorly thought out

They were. As someone who has had a lot of operations over the years.

Not all but some hospitals like a patient to be admitted to hospital in the morning for an afternoon operation.

Carol didn't have a matter of urgency about her at all and these people have schedules and they have to be fully prepared for operations, not just walk in and gown on then theatre.

One that really got to me was Carol walking in the hospital with just the gown on, they are open at the back. Dressing gown should have been on and she should have told Sonia where she was going.

Other than this the episode was great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Lindsey Coulson, Linda Henry and Annette Badland knocked it out of the park, brilliant performances.

I actually love the Carter family scenes, they feel very real and natural and the Breakfast Club is awesome so points on that one!

I still find it interesting that it is Shirley who doesn't want Mick to know whereas it is usually the other party who wants to keep it quiet and the mother who wants the child to know, quite an intriguing way around.

So, Phil said to Shirley - 'It's not my fault things are like this between us' and 'secrets have a habit of coming back to bite ya' - interesting dialogue there imo.

I liked Sharon tonight, she has mastered the demon glare at Phil when his back is turned and nice mention of Dennis, i'm not sure i'd buy it if her plan worked because Phil is many things but not stupid, esp with Richie on his side and I can't see they would leave Phil with nothing, unless Rainie hooked up with him again, although this would back Phil into a corner and there wouldn't be much else they could do with his character. There is something going on with Phil bring the wedding forward and hiring Roxy back at the Albert, I can't put my finger on it but I think something may be going down.

The scenes with Carol in the hospital were very moving, Lindsey Coulson is doing this justice imo, but, is this the climax of the cancer s/l now or is there more to come?

Very intrigued by Charlie, I don't buy that, that is the truth. He is an enigma and you can't quite tell where you are with Charlie, I think he has dark side and Carol should probably keep one eye open while he is around..

Linda Henry is brilliant, I like how she is playing Shirley's is confliction between her two sons. She is constantly in the middle of them both, but, tonight she was fighting Dean's corner, even at the risk of Mick finding out and she did the right thing.

Loving Aunt Babe's sinister side, great addition.

But phil is not particularly smart - none of the Mitchells are. He doesn't own his businesses due to being clever he owns them because the writers literally give (hopefully gave) the Mitchells are inexhaustible supply of money. In reality the Mitchells would never have survived den and Chrissie cleaning them out. It was made clear that they lost all their assets. The only thing they'd have got back was the vic - because SHARON literally have it to them. Besides that they really should have nothing else. But EE being what it is, they suddenly got all their money back. In none of this was phil shown to be clever. Outside of business he has never been very smart either. He may not be as dumb as grant, but a bushel of grain is not as dumb as grant so that's not saying much.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Yes, can't wait!
    Filiman wrote: »
    But phil is not particularly smart - none of the Mitchells are. He doesn't own his businesses due to being clever he owns them because the writers literally give (hopefully gave) the Mitchells are inexhaustible supply of money. In reality the Mitchells would never have survived den and Chrissie cleaning them out. It was made clear that they lost all their assets. The only thing they'd have got back was the vic - because SHARON literally have it to them. Besides that they really should have nothing else. But EE being what it is, they suddenly got all their money back. In none of this was phil shown to be clever. Outside of business he has never been very smart either. He may not be as dumb as grant, but a bushel of grain is not as dumb as grant so that's not saying much.

Fair point, I just think that scene with Richie about the Albert earlier on will somehow link into it. Phil isn't the smartest, but I didn't think he would be stupid enough not to protect his assets in some way, esp after all the previous times he has lost everything and as he knows that Sharon was attempting to take over the Albert in the beginning. I don't think it will run smoothly, I think there will be a lot of twists yet, is Sharon just attempting to get the Albert or everything?
  • Blowpop27Blowpop27 Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    To the people who think Carole is going to die - Eastenders would not dare. As breast cancer is so prevalent I think they would scare the he'll out of so many women if they were to kill her off now. A few years down the line, possibly, but not yet.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this.

I know people have issues with this writer but I thought it was a great episode minus a few issues.

Tina. I wouldn't ever call for someone to lose their job but I really hope this character is axed. She is pulling the Carters down. The 40 year old acting like a 12 year old act is annoying.

Loved the Carol scenes and I'm pleased the writers seem to have remembered Dot is Carol and Max's stepmother. So good to see Carol actually looking out for Dot but its been a long time coming. Its just a shame we see so little of Dot these days but as June is almost 90 it can't really be helped I suppose. Wonder what exactly Charlie is planning...

Really enjoyed the scenes with Carol and that Vicar... mmm hello! :p I think they should get him on as a regular. Maybe he could be Carol's ray of light.

Could not agree more. If EE thinks it's cute then they're very much mistaken, it's pathetic. I could understand their attitudes if Tina was special needs but she's not, she's just incredibly immature and instead of her family telling her to grow up they enable her.
    venus223 wrote: »
    They were. As someone who has had a lot of operations over the years.

Not all but some hospitals like a patient to be admitted to hospital in the morning for an afternoon operation.

Carol didn't have a matter of urgency about her at all and these people have schedules and they have to be fully prepared for operations, not just walk in and gown on then theatre.

One that really got to me was Carol walking in the hospital with just the gown on, they are open at the back. Dressing gown should have been on and she should have told Sonia where she was going.

Other than this the episode was great.

Agree with this too. The lack of urgency didn't go unnoticed by us either.
    Blowpop27 wrote: »
    To the people who think Carole is going to die - Eastenders would not dare. As breast cancer is so prevalent I think they would scare the he'll out of so many women if they were to kill her off now. A few years down the line, possibly, but not yet.

I read in my mum's TV Times at the weekend that the actress only agreed to do the storyline if it had a positive outcome (she also did loads of research and incorporated some little things into the programme) so it doesn't sound like there's an imminent death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Fair point, I just think that scene with Richie about the Albert earlier on will somehow link into it. Phil isn't the smartest, but I didn't think he would be stupid enough not to protect his assets in some way, esp after all the previous times he has lost everything and as he knows that Sharon was attempting to take over the Albert in the beginning. I don't think it will run smoothly, I think there will be a lot of twists yet, is Sharon just attempting to get the Albert or everything?

It hasn't really been made clear yet whether she's going after everything or just the Albert. If she does succeed it will probably be just the Albert as I cant see them letting Phil lose everything.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    It hasn't really been made clear yet whether she's going after everything or just the Albert. If she does succeed it will probably be just the Albert as I cant see them letting Phil lose everything.

She was taking his other papers when Phil caught her and she lied that she was looking for the VAT receipts for the bar. I think she intends to steal everything, but Phil must be completely thick not to realise that she's acting shifty. She wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the wedding. I know he lost everything before but that was when he left Sam in charge.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filiman wrote: »

I know you are a Sharon fan but your assertion that Phil isn't very smart is just supposition. It has been implied on many occasions that Phil keeps a close eye on the books and knows exactly where his money is. Phil may not be very educated but he has run multiple business interests for a number of years so I wouldn't assume he is a dumb as you make out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I know you are a Sharon fan but your assertion that Phil isn't very smart is just supposition. It has been implied on many occasions that Phil keeps a close eye on the books and knows exactly where his money is. Phil may not be very educated but he has run multiple business interests for a number of years so I wouldn't assume he is a dumb as you make out.

It's not supposition. When phil wants something he bullies and intimidates to get it - classic sign of a thicko. In what instance has he ever used his brains? He was outsmarted by den, by Chrissie.... The only time I can recall him showing even the slightest amount of intelligence was when he worked out lisa had shot him.

Lol - I still remember the time he tried to setup a drugs raid on Angie's den by literally walking into the club and putting a stash of drugs ontop of the bar. When phil had gone den just turned around and removed it.

He's a clever one alright.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, should have been left in the past!
    I cannot believe how bad the hospital scenes were, apart from the chapel bit, as the lack of pre-operation was appalling. If that is how things are done in English hospitals now, I can only thank goodness I live in France. Here you have to shower at home using Betadine Scrub the night before going for any procedure that involves being in an operating theatre. When you arrive at the hospital you have another shower from head to toe and put on paper gown, feet covers and cap. Then a nurse will check blood pressure and temperature and put a wrist band on with name and DOB on. Carol did not appear to have her blood pressure or temperature taken nor was given a wrist band. The only time she was seen by a nurse was when one arrived to accompany her to theatre. This is a major operation not something akin to an ingrowing toenail but was certainly not treated as such.

I haven't yet seen tonight's episode and can only hope it is better written than Tuesday's.