Mellow Magic on 105.4

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Was Martin Collins on twice on Magic today? According to my freeview box he was on at 5pm (In for angie greaves) and at 8pm (doing mellow magic)
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Martin was only on drivetime - it was Hannah Cox on mellow magic tonight !!
  • SibeberSibeber Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, just listened to the magic myplater to last nights mellow magic with martin collins - and he has a total different style to danny or hannah, he speaks as though he is doing a normal show rather than sounding very relaxed and very calm with the speach! he sounds rather excited reading out loads of peoples texts - danny doesnt read out half the ammount of texts as martin has done!! and kept repeating hope everyone is well and happy!!!

the phrase hope your well/happy etc has been used by Martin as long as i can remember and he does have a habit of saying it 2/3 times an hour .I'm glad Martin is getting work as he is a lovely bloke and a heritage London presenter, however his radio style hasn't adjusted in my opinion for many a year/format .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vcs wrote: »
    Days of Magic being good are well over. Actually they stopped when Melody FM was changed to Magic in my opinion.

Errrr...so there were actually no "days of Magic being good" then?
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Martin was only on drivetime - it was Hannah Cox on mellow magic tonight !!

Hannah is fantastic on Mellow Magic.
  • boywonderboywonder Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Buck wrote: »
    You're kidding?! That's so off-brand it's scary!
    I was just as shocked.

12:52 MAN! I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN TWAIN, SHANIA
    13:03 TRUE FAITH NEW ORDER
    13:08 HUNGRY EYES CARMEN, ERIC
    13:12 WOODEN HEART PRESLEY, ELVIS
  • Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boywonder wrote: »
    I was just as shocked.

As an hour opener too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just as shocked.

The Elvis song is also very weak.

Magic wasn't playing Wooden Heart until recently.

Didn't 1pm to 2pm used to be the Mellow Magic Lunch Break?
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Elvis song is also very weak.

Magic wasn't playing Wooden Heart until recently.

Didn't 1pm to 2pm used to be the Mellow Magic Lunch Break?

Yes. Has it been phased out?

I think Magic should open the mic up a little more now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I think Magic should open the mic up a little more now.

They already have Occy - and I don't like it.

There's way too much chit chat on Magic 105.4 at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just as shocked.

Meanwhile on Parky's 106.2, one brilliant song after another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile on Parky's 106.2, one brilliant song after another.
    Here is a comparison. This is Heart London on the same date. What's interesting is that Heart squeezed in one more song than Magic.

12:53 MAMA DO LOTT, PIXIE
    13:02 1999 PRINCE
    13:06 COULD IT BE MAGIC TAKE THAT
    13:09 BEGGIN' MADCON
    13:12 CHERISH KOOL & THE GANG
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a comparison. This is Heart London on the same date. What's interesting is that Heart squeezed in one more song than Magic.

by squeezing a 6 minute song into 4 minutes ;)

and no way should Magic be talking more in the links - if you want pointless chit chat Radio 2 with Evans, Bruce & Wright are there for you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's interesting is that Heart squeezed in one more song than Magic.

Amazing.

What's also interesting is that Heart's songs were stronger than Magic's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    by squeezing a 6 minute song into 4 minutes ;)
    The radio edit of 1999 is 3'35.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Magic is not the station it was ...
    I am a fan of Magic 105.4 but lately it seems to have lost it's way with some seriously dodgy songs finding their way on to the playlist and way too much station production now.

Magic should be pretty much Non stop music with minimum production,
    i.e not even a sweeper between ALL songs and short advert breaks of just 1 or 2 adverts.

Talk should also be kept to an absolute minimum, with no more than 2 or 3 speech breaks in the hour (exept, news, travel etc)

Mellow Magic 2 (the 1-530 auto bit) has too much prodution aswell
    This show offers itself to maybe only 1 ad break per hour and the news jingle should be toned down overnight,

as someone who likes Mellow Magic for sleepless nights, which is the point of it ?? it can be annoying to be awoken by "Maaaaagic105.4" being sung at the TOTH
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I think the songs on Magic look better. More eras and genres. Wish Heart would actually offer variety.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, as a listener I completely disagree. You technical radio experts might be right but nothing bores us listeners more than a rigid format.

Good for Martin Collins I say - there is nothing more tedious than hours of Magic or Heart with the presenters being 'on message' the whole time, combined with utterly tedious adverts, a very narrow selection of songs and presenters with nothing to say

Have the advert makers got no imagination? There is nothing worse than these stereotypical characters with a fake french accent or a police officer saying 'allo, allo what's going on here then'

Add to that big brother, nanny state adverts about problems that never happend ie millions dying from AIDS in the UK - never happened - millions dying from swine flu - never happened - and renewing your driving licence at 70.

None of the stations mentioned are 'N0 1' in London - Radio 4 and Radio 2 have got it right and got the listeners in London (and elsewhere) to prove it.

Tinkering about with the time of adverts matters little to us listeners - try some interesting programmes with different music and use presenters such as those on Radios 2,3 4 5 and 6 who are not mechanical boring sounding robots.

I feel sorry for radio presenters on stations like Magic who have to play the same music every day, utter the same tedious phrases and play boring adverts.

And by the way, our radios especially those in the car tell us what station we are listening to - try talking without constantly saying what the station name is first - that would be an interesting challenge and make presenters lives more interesting.

Go on - try just one interesting comment on air - you might enjoy it.

I like the idea of local London stgations like Heart Magic Smooth etc and I take up a personal challenge sometimes - try to listen to one for half an hour.

It's just not possible - 12 minutes is the most I have lasted so far on Magic and 7 minutes on Heart - more music variety - they should be prosecuted in a civil court for that deception on the listening public.

Paul

Hear! hear! Considering that Martin has been covering drivetime as well this week those who are moaning have to realise that sometimes presenters will make the odd mistake when they are on the air. Not everything is always plain sailing and 'slick' when you are presenting a radio show - I have sat in a few studios so I know what I am saying. Martin has had to put up with three stations where they have a repetative playlist - Absolute (and before when it was Virgin), Smooth & now Magic. It's a shame Magic can't expand their playlist!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sibeber wrote: »
    the phrase hope your well/happy etc has been used by Martin as long as i can remember and he does have a habit of saying it 2/3 times an hour .I'm glad Martin is getting work as he is a lovely bloke and a heritage London presenter, however his radio style hasn't adjusted in my opinion for many a year/format .

Yes, he has always used that and I don't mind that he always says that. It has become a habit for him but hey he is a great presenter as far as I am concerned and at least he makes me relax after a long stressful day at the moment while he is on drivetime! He is a lovely bloke - I met him before he left Smooth and he even took the time to have a small chat too even though he was busy that day. Re his radio style - I agree but he hasn't had the chance to progress as he has always been going to stations where the format is the same and the music is the same.... However I am glad he is working and back on the radio.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so - which presenters are talking much more than they used to? I know foxy talks a lot on the breakfast show - but garry vincent hardly used to say anything and hannah cox/danny p hardly say anything at all!!
  • Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bottom line is that if Magic presenters were to open the mic more it will wreck the stations audience figures and go against everything thats made the station successfull. its one of the biggest success stories in London if not the uk and listeners tune into Magic and expect the more music less talk together with a familliar song and a warm and friendly sounding presenter. To move away from this proposition would be a huge mistake for bauer in my view.

I find it hard to imagine that a presenter would just take it upon himself to change the format of the station especially an experienced presenter like Martin. Perhaps he was asked to do it by managment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe if the presenters are being allowed a little more freedom on magic- maybe it's a good thing. Surely some listeners miss hearing more than the strapline , the time and what's just been played. Surely they want a little bit of chit chat about their lives/what's going on it the world, other than just endless music !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe if the presenters are being allowed a little more freedom on magic- maybe it's a good thing. Surely some listeners miss hearing more than the strapline , the time and what's just been played. Surely they want a little bit of chit chat about their lives/what's going on it the world, other than just endless music !!

Errrr....no. If they did, they wouldn't be listening to Magic.

I'm sure there are plenty of London stations people can go to if they want more prattle, but Magic built its success on its points of difference - one of which is the minimal speech.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    i actually listen a fair bit and there is still plenty of music every hour. news and weather is 3 minutes combined at the most. then we get a 10 in a row. i notice after this point the presenter whoever it maybe says what songs have been on and whats coming up. we then get a 2 minute song followed directly by adverts. we also get a 2 minute song directly before the news.
    i notice though magic only have about 12 songs to cover these 2 minute gaps every hour. these songs include 'you dont have to say you love me' by dusty springfield, 'private number' by william bell and 'yesterday' by the beatles. if i listen for say 3 hours i can almost guarantee i will hear at least 1 of them songs. there is other gap songs u lot could probably name, i just cant think of them at the minute.
    as for martin collins, he just doesnt seem cut out to work on magic. he wants to speak a bit on air (which i do understand) and is getting slated for trying to do so as its a music station. he would be better off at a station where hes allowed to talk more. the other night on mellow magic he read out a text that said 'can you stop saying i hope you are well and happy'. guess what martin then said 30 seconds later :D
    i think the rest of the schedule is fine in the week but hes not a suitable cover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wonder why they are using him as he doesn't fit the format - and plenty people have complained of his style