Options

Diane Abbott on This Week

chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Diane Abbott succinctly summed herself up when she was asked about Insurance companies having to do away with the female allowance on car premiums when she said : "Well I don't drive, so it doesn't affect me".
How to make friends & influence People :eek:
How does this self centred woman even make it onto the shadow cabinet benches, I do not know anyone who has a good word to say about her.

Comments

• Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair she has a point I guess on that issue and unless her shadow cab role is effected by this rule change and she can comment on an individual case there is not much she can say really :) She still an utter loon tho in personal opinion.
  • Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not an 'individual case' she was asked about a change to law that will affect 50% of the population. After saying she didn't drive she then offered no opinion, making what seemed like a jokey answer to the question became an actual one.
    I wanted Andrew to ask her how what she would think if it was black drivers that paid more due to statistics.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten how bad she was. Come back Michael Portillo and guest, second commentator.

She ended up, resorting to, just shouting in Michael Howards face, as if that is the way you win arguments and convince people.

This Week doesn't work with people that are still involved in politics officially, like in a cabinet or shadow cabinet, They cant afford to take the p##s any more, out of their own parties.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does she still sit there like Jabba The Hut?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    To be fair she has a point I guess on that issue and unless her shadow cab role is effected by this rule change and she can comment on an individual case there is not much she can say really :) She still an utter loon tho in personal opinion.

So if the question was about racism towards Asians, she would have answered, oh I don't care about that, it doesn't affect me because I'm black.
  • Options
    geordiejackiegeordiejackie Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »

:D:D aye:D
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if the question was about racism towards Asians, she would have answered, oh I don't care about that, it doesn't affect me because I'm black.

Oh i know what you mean but if she doesnt drive it doesnt effect her so she may not have had sufficient knowledge to offer a response on the issue. Had she done so and it was then jumped on as an 'official response' she could have just created problems. However she didnt say, looking at the OP post this is, that she 'didnt care' just that it didnt effect her. I'd rather have MPs keep quiet about things they dont not jot about then think they have to offer sage wisdom on all and sundry.

Sometimes it better to be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt :D
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D aye:D

I must admit she was entertaining when she used to sit with Bib Fortuna......I mean Portillo. But it's probably a better show without them. :p
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite shows, love Portillo - Dianne Abbott...not so much..
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We already know she is racist so I wouldn't be surprised if she is also sexist .
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my view of Diane Abbot. She's an impulse politician who rides on emotions. E.g. when the admiral on the show last night was pointing out the absurdity of using gunboat diplomacy when you're scrapping all the gunboats, Diane Abbot couldn't resist sneering loudly "Toys for the boys, eh? Toys for the boys." She is relatively weak on interlectual reasoning but strong on emotional association. Thus she can speak passionately about some issues, but comes across as uncaring on other issues with which she cannot personally identify.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I like her. She was never afraid to be critical of Labour and speak frankly. She and Portillo had good chemistry. I haven't watched This Week since we lost them.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Well I like her.

Would you send your kids to a public school too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    Would you send your kids to a public school too?

You've lost me?!

What's that got to do with anything? I don't have children anyway, and don't intend to have any.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've lost me?!

What's that got to do with anything? I don't have children anyway, and don't intend to have any.

She famously looked at the local comprehensives in Hackney and thought I'm not sending my kid there. So she paid to send her kid to a private fee paying school instead.

Of course as a left wing Labour MP, with a policy of being pro comprehensive education, she was accused of hypocrisy.

She would force others to have to send their kids to a comprehensive school, but not do it herself. Her justification was, I put my own children first, if their is a clash with policy.

The other poster was saying, would you do what she did if you were in her situation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She famously looked at the local comprehensives in Hackney and thought I'm not sending my kid there. So she paid to send her kid to a private fee paying school instead.

Of course as a left wing Labour MP, with a policy of being pro comprehensive education, she was accused of hypocrisy.

She would force others to have to send their kids to a comprehensive school, but not do it herself. Her justification was, I put my own children first, if their is a clash with policy.

The other poster was saying, would you do what she did if you were in her situation?

Don't blame her. And if I had kids and I could afford to, I'd do the same with them. Good for Dianne.

She won't be the first MP guilty of hypocrisy and she won't be the last.

I still like her more than a lot of politicians, and found her engaging on This Week and when she appears on Question Time.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Is there any reason why Diane cannot do the show every week anymore. I know she is a shadow health minister - but if she was able to appear last night then why not each week.

She's a lot more preferable to Jacqui Smith!
  • Options
    titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    I like her as she seems to me to not be a massive bull shitter. She says what she thinks most of the time. And I liked her and Portilo on the couch they both made me laugh. And most of the time talked sense to me. Its nice to see people not towing the party line all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »

LOL!!!!!!:D:D:D
  • Options
    titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Is there any reason why Diane cannot do the show every week anymore. I know she is a shadow health minister - but if she was able to appear last night then why not each week.

She's a lot more preferable to Jacqui Smith!

Maybe laubour dont want her on too much as she is quite honest and says what she thinks. And dose not always toe the party line. Micheal Howard was alwful last night. I liked that scottish women they had on a few weeks ago. I ope she come back agin.
  • Options
    PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't blame her. And if I had kids and I could afford to, I'd do the same with them. Good for Dianne.

I still like her more than a lot of politicians, and found her engaging on This Week and when she appears on Question Time.

She not only displayed hypocrisy on the issue she justified her position by bringing race into the issue despite it being irrelevant to the debate.
  • Options
    A CillayA Cillay Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member

She made reference to West Indian mothers 'going to the wall' for their children as a form of justification. When Andrew asked whether she thinks Asian, Irish or European mothers should or would do the same she replied 'No comment'.

Just a few years before she raised the question in Parliament as to why Tony Blair sent his children to a religiously selective school, yet she proceeded to send her own to an academically selective, fee paying one,

Her remarks on the insurance rulings don't surprise me as she has always been very self involved. But don't then go by the name 'feminist' as she always does.
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoebidas wrote: »
    She not only displayed hypocrisy on the issue she justified her position by bringing race into the issue despite it being irrelevant to the debate.

she brings up race often and cant wait to denigrate whites when the opportunity arises and then promote her own race
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Diane Abbott on This Week to "I have done no wrong" Jacqui Smith (even though I agree with a lot of the comments about Diane).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I think Michael Portillo will be back next week :)

I really like him and Diane was right, he's sort of rehabilitated himself to become a "national treasure" according to a lot of people on twitter!