EE: Shirley "Your daughter got cancer and the other one's a junkie"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
Forum Member
✭✭
Great response from Shirley to Cora to her "i'm a good mother" line.

Laughed out loud at that really.

Also nice was Shirley's emotional scene with Linda kinding of making things right.

Funny also when Tina said to Shirley "I didn't know you hated her so much" talking about Sharon (obviously) but Shirley thought she meant Linda.

Shirley has some great lines and dialogue as all the characters do at times.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I must've been out of the room when this bit was on so I might be missing something but I don't get how Tanya getting cancer makes Cora a bad mother??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it doesn't, didn't say that it did; can't remember exactly what Cora said it was something about always having been a good mother and that was Shirley's reply (not a very intelligent one, granted but typical Shirley).

This was while people were talking about Kat's pregnancy (that'd she'd been trying to keep secret until she was further along with it).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I like Shirley, but thought at the time it was harsh. It was funny about the junkie bit, but about Tanya getting cancer was still harsh I thought.
  • VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must've been out of the room when this bit was on so I might be missing something but I don't get how Tanya getting cancer makes Cora a bad mother??

The ladies were egging on Kat to have some champagne despite her pregnancy.

Cora stated that she drank and smoke all throughout her pregnancies and it never did her girls any harm, which Shirley responded to.
  • asortafairytaleasortafairytale Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was in response to Cora saying she drank and smoked all the way through her pregnancies. Something like 'and look how that turned out...' Harsh and a bit ridiculous!
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Well it doesn't, didn't say that it did; can't remember exactly what Cora said it was something about always having been a good mother and that was Shirley's reply (not a very intelligent one, granted but typical Shirley).

This was while people were talking about Kat's pregnancy (that'd she'd been trying to keep secret until she was further along with it).

Cora said she'd smoked and drank through all her pregnancies and her kids had turned out fine, prompting Shirley to suggest otherwise!
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member

Cora was saying how she drank and smoked throughout the whole of her pregnancy and it didn't do her children any harm, Shirley had a fair point as Smoking and Drinking throughout her pregnancy is hardly the sign of a good Mother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    The ladies were egging on Kat to have some champagne despite her pregnancy.

Cora stated that she drank and smoke all throughout her pregnancies and it never did her girls any harm, which Shirley responded to.

Ah right, that makes more sense! Thanks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    Cora said she'd smoked and drank through all her pregnancies and her kids had turned out fine, prompting Shirley to suggest otherwise!

Yes correct, didn't make that clear.

Cora was saying about having "drank and smoke all the way through her pregnancy" and that nothing was wrong with her kids.

Indeed, this thread title was then to be Shirley's response.

"Drinking and smoking all the way through her pregnancy" no not IMHO a sign of a Good Mother.
  • Stacey_SlaterStacey_Slater Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    was a good call from Shirley
  • BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Ryan looks like Shirley from Eastenders here
    https://twitter.com/Scott_Bartle/status/422478816737779712/photo/1

:D:D:D:D
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely love it, there is no low that Shirley won't stoop to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley is the only reson I watch, I love her. I love anything the actress has been in she is brilliant
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley isn't exactly an authority on perfect parenting though, is she? Just ask Deano.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Cora had jumped on Shirley for this...out of order from Shirley.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Cora was saying how she drank and smoked throughout the whole of her pregnancy and it didn't do her children any harm, Shirley had a fair point as Smoking and Drinking throughout her pregnancy is hardly the sign of a good Mother.

Neither is walking out on your kids, which Shirley did. Also, at the time Cora had her kids, there was no advice against smoking or drinking during pregnancy, as the problems caused had not been discovered.. In fact, TV ads actually glamorised smoking for women.

I absolutely despise Shirley - she goes from bad to worse. All the unpleasant sneering and scowling at others does nothing to improve her - I thought she was supposed to be changing?
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member

Indeed. Cora is a dreadful mother and you can lay a lot at her door re their upbringing. Thinking drinking like a fish, smoking like a chimney, cheating on your spouse, abandoning your children when times get hard, not taking any moral responsibility for bills or social ways.

But...a child getting Cancer is in no way her fault and just shows up what a nasty, ignorant and venomous bitch Shirley is.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She certainly doesn't care what she says
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Neither is walking out on your kids, which Shirley did. Also, at the time Cora had her kids, there was no advice against smoking or drinking during pregnancy, as the problems caused had not been discovered.. In fact, TV ads actually glamorised smoking for women.

I absolutely despise Shirley - she goes from bad to worse. All the unpleasant sneering and scowling at others does nothing to improve her - I thought she was supposed to be changing?

Actually I think there was advice about smoking and drinking through oregnancy in the early 70s when Coea had Tanya and Rainie. I have memories fro mid 70s and it was well known then to the extent that my parents were funny with grandparents smoking round my brother and I and I know many of my parents friend stopped smoking in the 60s when medical evidence became more publicized.

But Shirley still has no right to judge anyone and I bet she didn't stop smoking and drinking in the 80s when she had her kids by which time it was Definately advised against. Plus, you know, her going out on the piss everynight shaggin around conceiving more children and then just walking out all together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were ment to be drunk when it got said. Even though it was completely out if order, a lot of us have probably said things we regret when drunk and their lines are written for them!
    Forum Member
    They were ment to be drunk when it got said. Even though it was completely out if order, a lot of us have probably said things we regret when drunk and their lines are written for them!

Of course their lines are written for them, that isn't the point. It is a soaps forum discussing fictional characters and situations - we all know everything we are discussing has been written and acted for or 'entertainment' and isn't real.

I personally, having dealt with a lot of drunk people (and being drunk myself) know very well that people say things they later regret when drunk but I also believe that people tell the truth when they are drunk. They are unedited, you see the real them. And this shows the real Shirleyto be a very nasty person that will use any weapon and hit below the belt to make her point. Wonder how she'd react if someone said her parenting skills produced a child that killed her best friend?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that would be an equally rude and inconsiderate remark for someone to make IMO.

Doesn't matter who's saying these things, whether you actually "like" the character or not, they're still rude and inconsiderate remarks for someone to make.

Sorry to say it just amused me if anything (my warped sense of "humour" I know) ; this however is Shirley we're talking about who isn't very nice and the look on Cora's face when she said it wasn't very nice either whho actually looked quite shocked (even though she was totally hammered herself as well as Shirley).

And it doesn't detract from the fact that drinking and smoking through pregnancy is no laughing matter, not for the children who are going to be born especially.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Of course their lines are written for them, that isn't the point. It is a soaps forum discussing fictional characters and situations - we all know everything we are discussing has been written and acted for or 'entertainment' and isn't real.

I personally, having dealt with a lot of drunk people (and being drunk myself) know very well that people say things they later regret when drunk but I also believe that people tell the truth when they are drunk. They are unedited, you see the real them. And this shows the real Shirleyto be a very nasty person that will use any weapon and hit below the belt to make her point. Wonder how she'd react if someone said her parenting skills produced a child that killed her best friend?

We have all had experance in dealing with drunk people. more times then often they are apologising the next day. She wasn't being nasty to Linda! And how exactly did her parenting skills do that to Ben??

More likely Phil's ex abusing him turned him into that, not a person who comes out with nasty comments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Beaconboof wrote: »

Fantastic :D

I may have to nick that for the cbb forum.

Proof that even Shirley Carter is more attractive than Lee Ryan!
    Forum Member
    We have all had experance in dealing with drunk people. more times then often they are apologising the next day. She wasn't being nasty to Linda! And how exactly did her parenting skills do that to Ben??

More likely Phil's ex abusing him turned him into that, not a person who comes out with nasty comments.

They may be apologizing the next day but it doesn't mean they didn't deep down mean what they said.

Blaming Shirley for Ben) she was a parental guidance figure to him from the age of 11 until 15 including covering up his stalking) is no more ridiculous or unfair than blaming a parent for their child contracting Cancer. That is the point I was trying to make, it is not fair to blame Shirley for what her stepson did, it is not fair to blame Cora for Tanya getting Cancer. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and Shirley is Definately in a glass house when it comes to her parenting skills and how her children, biological and step have turned out. Did Shirley cause deano to end up in Prison? Or to extend the Cancer blame, Jimbo to die young?

She was utterly unfair to Cora and she wouldn't like it if someone threw back her failings in her face.

I know i've told the truth when drunk. I've often wished I hadn't, it makes for some awkward conversations and I regret hurting people but when push comes to shove, I can't deny I meant what I said. I just lost my politeness, editing consciousness.