Options

What happened to cartons of milk ?

Comments

• Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Also, why is it that when you go to France - a country famous in the world for eschewing any foodstuff that wasn't killed or juiced within a one-kilometre radius in the last 30 minutes - that you cannot find normal milk for love nor money? E.Leclerc and Carrefour have shelves full of warn UHT, and three bottles of fresh milk in the chilled section! What gives? UHT milk is the preserve of 3* hotels next to the pixie kettle. It should only come in little plastic pots amongst the little stick-sachets of drinking chocolate and disgusting freeze-dried coffee!
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    None of Waitrose's fresh milk comes in cartons any more:
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse/Groceries/Dairy/Fresh_Milk
    The only things that do are the speciality products like Lactofree and Almond milk, and even they are more like the fruit-juice Tetrapaks with plastic spouts than the traditional glued Tetrablocks.

Did I mention fresh milk?

I sometimes get lactofree anyway, the cats can have some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Did I mention fresh milk?

I sometimes get lactofree anyway, the cats can have some.

I give the cats double cream. They like that for some reason.

And no, you didn't say fresh milk, but I presumed that's what the OP was referring to. Fresh milk that wasn't delivered in glass bottles always used to come in cartons in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Plastic seems to have been the norm since the early 90s.

Comme ca:
    http://shefaco.be/image/cache/data/Milk/HalfVolle-Milk-1-800x800.jpg
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Longlife milk is still sold in cartons, though they are more like orange juice cartons.

Spar sell milk in cartons, with a plastic ring-pull type lid which you rip off.

What I haven't seen in years is a milk carton on which you have to fold back the flaps and push them forward in order to get the carton open. They were always very tricky anyway.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Also, why is it that when you go to France - a country famous in the world for eschewing any foodstuff that wasn't killed or juiced within a one-kilometre radius in the last 30 minutes - that you cannot find normal milk for love nor money? E.Leclerc and Carrefour have shelves full of warn UHT, and three bottles of fresh milk in the chilled section! What gives? UHT milk is the preserve of 3* hotels next to the pixie kettle. It should only come in little plastic pots amongst the little stick-sachets of drinking chocolate and disgusting freeze-dried coffee!

I agree, they have no clue.
    This is why a cup of tea in France is so revolting. No kettle, so you have to use non-boiling water from a coffee machine. This means the tea doesn't brew properly.
    Then to make it taste extra scummy, the milk is tepid UHT.... which, as a Father Ted episode once pointed out "Milk gets sour y'know. Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that... because it's shite".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I agree, they have no clue.
    This is why a cup of tea in France is so revolting. No kettle, so you have to use non-boiling water from a coffee machine. This means the tea doesn't brew properly.
    Then to make it taste extra scummy, the milk is tepid UHT.... which, as a Father Ted episode once pointed out "Milk gets sour y'know. Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that... because it's shite".

To be pedantic, that was actually the dairy manager who said that, but your point is valid nonetheless. ;-)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering, as you do, why isn't milk supplied in cartons anymore ? At one time , it was all cartons, but now its only supplied in the plastic bottles.

And does anyone remember when fabric conditioner was supplied in cartons ?

Oh the times I used to put it in the fridge mistaking it for the milk, oh how we laughed......

I think they still sell them round here. Milk in cartons, that is.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I still see milk cartons in the supermarkets here in Ireland. They still exist for fresh milk but they're also common for flavoured and soya milk.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drink goat's milk, and that all comes in 1 litre cardboard cartons.

Disclaimer: Haven't seen any other type in 17 years of buying it, anyway.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget Cartons, i remember when Milk got delivered in glass bottles
    The milk floats at 5am, used to chinkle with glass bottles... one tipped over once.
    All the broken glass & milk went all over the road... what a mess
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Forget Cartons, i remember when Milk got delivered in glass bottles
    The milk floats at 5am, used to chinkle with glass bottles... one tipped over once.
    All the broken glass & milk went all over the road... what a mess

The milkman still delivers milk in glass bottles. Unless I've missed something. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    The milkman still delivers milk in glass bottles. Unless I've missed something. :confused:

Not in all areas they don't. In fact it's only really reappeared in major towns and cities.

Dairy Crest and a couple of other companies have brought it back to many areas in recent years though.

The nearest to me today for example is 11 miles away, and I'd have to buy it in bulk as they don't do doorstep deliveries here (although they do in the area they are based).

Easier to go to the local shop, and cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not in all areas they don't. In fact it's only really reappeared in major towns and cities.

Dairy Crest and a couple of other companies have brought it back to many areas in recent years though.

The nearest to me today for example is 11 miles away, and I'd have to buy it in bulk as they don't do doorstep deliveries here (although they do in the area they are based).

Easier to go to the local shop, and cheaper.

My parents have had their milk delivered by Dairy Crest continually since the early 80s (that's in Bolton). Around here, it's Golden Valley, and they've been going 20 years. Both deliver in glass bottles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    My parents have had their milk delivered by Dairy Crest continually since the early 80s (that's in Bolton). Around here, it's Golden Valley, and they've been going 20 years. Both deliver in glass bottles.

I don't doubt it, I was just pointing out it isn't available today in many areas. Most small, local dairies have gone out of business over the years.

There is though, a website you can use to see if there is a dairy doing doorstep deliveries near you. Can't remember what it's called, something like findamilkman or findmeamilkman.
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    They're still around!

I only drink UHT milk, so I see cartons a lot.

Most Supermarkets Own Branded UHT, Lactofree, Alpro…

Me too, I get mine from ASDA
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my grandmother having milk delivered in plastic bags. Seriously, what is that all about?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    What's a carton? Back in my day we just sucked the milk straight from the udder. Kids these days don't even know they were born.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    What's a carton? Back in my day we just sucked the milk straight from the udder. Kids these days don't even know they were born.

If you're doing that, the trick is being able to identify the right sort of cow. Unfortunately, not everyone can. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26650621
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I bought two huge (reproduction) old fashioned wide-necked milk bottles, with tops, in a charity shop last week, and I've started using them instead of the plastic bottle that the milk is sold in.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgotten about this, tetrapak rings a bell, hated them
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    I remember my grandmother having milk delivered in plastic bags. Seriously, what is that all about?

We still have that in Canada! It's the main way milk is sold. Usually four bags in a pack, you put one in the milk jug and snip the corner. Pouring the first cup takes skill, when the bag is full - spillageddon!
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to admit it. The cartons were a massive piss off for me. Lots of mismanagement , milk on the floor, that 'perfect scissor cut that made the milk fly passed the damned cup.

I like using the little bottles, they're better than the cartons, although I only use them occasionally as I buy the four pint ones as I have a massive horror of running out of milk (tea).

I still use cartons for juice and UHT, with all the same problems, but I am more experienced now, although that quite often doesn't actually help.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm going to admit it. The cartons were a massive piss off for me. Lots of mismanagement , milk on the floor, that 'perfect scissor cut that made the milk fly passed the damned cup.

I like using the little bottles, they're better than the cartons, although I only use them occasionally as I buy the four pint ones as I have a massive horror of running out of milk (tea).

I still use cartons for juice and UHT, with all the same problems, but I am more experienced now, although that quite often doesn't actually help.

Me too, but because ice cold semi-skimmed milk is my favourite ever drink and I drink gallons of it.

That's why I have so many 'emergency milk' long-life cartons on stand by. I've found that the semi-skimmed one tastes a bit like sterilised, but the whole milk one, when ice cold, tastes like normal semi-skimmed, until I can get 'proper' milk again.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, but because ice cold semi-skimmed milk is my favourite ever drink and I drink gallons of it.

That's why I have so many 'emergency milk' long-life cartons on stand by. I've found that the semi-skimmed one tastes a bit like sterilised, but the whole milk one, when ice cold, tastes like normal semi-skimmed, until I can get 'proper' milk again.

Same, except I rarely use my four unopened cartons of UHT or my milk powder for emergencies.

I've got 'em all the same, along with the comforting 'at least one full four pinter and a half a one' in the fridge.

And there's only me and the girl.:o

She laughs about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local shop sell cartons of milk from Wiseman Dairys.