Matt Di Angelo reveals EastEnders "tiff": 'I disagreed with my boss'

Comments

• Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, to me, he's basically saying it can't be bothered with them, the duff-duffs or the heavy storylines. I mean, how hard is it keep still for 20 extra seconds? Obviously very much so for vacuous pretty boys. If you can't act, then don't try.

I don't know how his character could possibly be ruined, there's literally nothing to spoil. He's known as Shirley's fit son, his past incarnation left basically no groundwork from which to come back to, so he's essentially a new character. I think new characters have to take on risky/controversial storylines to make an impression on the overly-critical viewers of today.

That's just my view anyway :)

OK.

I think that there was so much potential when he left in 2008 and that is now going to be used. I can't wait to see what happens.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    OK.

I think that there was so much potential when he left in 2008 and that is now going to be used. I can't wait to see what happens.

Let's hope so. Although, I can't say I'm overjoyed at the idea of Dean and Linda, but I it might surprise me, if that's is where the writers are going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope so. Although, I can't say I'm overjoyed at the idea of Dean and Linda, but I it might surprise me, if that's is where the writers are going.

I think it's going to be one-sided. I don't think it's going to be an affair....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's going to be one-sided. I don't think it's going to be an affair....

Really? Then it'll probably be the opening gambit to the big reveal that Mick is actually his brother. I'd like that reveal to come fairly soon, and not drag out til Christmas, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really? Then it'll probably be the opening gambit to the big reveal that Mick is actually his brother. I'd like that reveal to come fairly soon, and not drag out til Christmas, though.

Yeh I've read that Dean is going to become infatuated with Linda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh I've read that Dean is going to become infatuated with Linda.

Oh joy. Can't EE lay off the incest/inter-familial affairs for a bit; Kat and Harry, Phil and Glenda, Ronnie and Archie, Lauren and Joey...:confused:
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he nearabouts plays himself? He must be a right **** in real life aswell then :D
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just comes sounds arrogant and unappreciative to me.

Plus, what with the, "Oh yah, one doesn't care for a 'duff duff' once one has already acquired one". Oh right, because you're such a pro you can really afford to turn down big, career-making storylines. Also, what a load of rubbish he's spouting about your character usually being similar to you as a person - yeah, if you're a limited actor who was primarily hired for your looks.

Let's be honest though, the looks more that compensate for it.

Yup I'm shallow.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see anything wrong with what he said
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope it's not distasteful like molesting Linda
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    So he nearabouts plays himself? He must be a right **** in real life aswell then :D

As made evident in that interview :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Let's be honest though, the looks more that compensate for it.

Yup I'm shallow.

So I noticed (I am a bit too :D)

He should simply remain in the Hollyoaks category of 'young, fit, dumb and committed to the regular removal of clothing'.
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    Well, to me, he's basically saying it can't be bothered with them, the duff-duffs or the heavy storylines. I mean, how hard is it keep still for 20 extra seconds? Obviously very much so for vacuous pretty boys. If you can't act, then don't try.
    I don't think he gave the impression of not being bothered/can't do meaty storylines or play complicated characters, not when he played a gay serial killing Bishop on The Borgias. He simply said that Dean isn't too dissimilar from himself, which is due in part to the EE audition process, and is thus a much easier character to get into psychologically, than a dark, serial killer.

Of course the "duff duff" cliffhanger stare is not hard, but if you ask a lot of US soap actors what they think/thought of the end of scene tag (as they call it), and you'll find that some find holding the 10 second stares quite tedious, because they have to do multiple takes, and their mind has to focus on something random, like 'have I left the oven on?' followed by 'I did leave the over on!'

I think some have jumped on him for comments that were cut and pasted from a TV interview and taken out of context. I bet his comments are nothing new, as many actors probably object to storylines for one reason or another. But we never get to hear about them, b/c they don't talk about it publicly. The main thing is he's doing the story, so whatever part he objected to for whatever reasons (maybe he was worried it would paint his character into a corner?), he's been convinced to suck it up by DTC.
    I didn't see anything wrong with what he said
    Neither did I.

The way some people have responded, you'd think he said something controversial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    I don't think he gave the impression of not being bothered/can't do meaty storylines or play complicated characters, not when he played a gay serial killing Bishop on The Borgias. He simply said that Dean isn't too dissimilar from himself, which is due in part to the EE audition process, and is thus a much easier character to get into psychologically, than a dark, serial killer.

Have you seen him in The Borgias? I'd love to see him as that character.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If an exec producer offers an actor a dark & controversial storyline, I think implicitly this is a COMPLIMENT to the actor. Its effectively a nod from the bosses to say that they think the actor is sufficiently capable to do it justice.

For some reason Matt got the wrong end of the stick here. (Contrary to what many DSers might assume mainly based on his looks, Matt is NOT dim).

You can go with Sez's interpretation that he felt the character wouldn't do such a thing ( Im not sure about that one) or that he was concerned about the public's attitude to his character (& possibly HIM given his other comments).

I don't care much for the "tiff" -its blown over & isn't the first or last time a actor has disagreed with bosses about a plot.

Its the "actors play themselves" part that I find weird.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    If an exec producer offers an actor a dark & controversial storyline, I think implicitly this is a COMPLIMENT to the actor. Its effectively a nod from the bosses to say that they think the actor is sufficiently capable to do it justice.

For some reason Matt got the wrong end of the stick here. (Contrary to what many DSers might assume mainly based on his looks, Matt is NOT dim).

You can go with Sez's interpretation that he felt the character wouldn't do such a thing ( Im not sure about that one) or that he was concerned about the public's attitude to his character (& possibly HIM given his other comments).

I don't care much for the "tiff" -its blown over & isn't the first or last time a actor has disagreed with bosses about a plot.

Its the "actors play themselves" part that I find weird.

I think DTC has big plans for Dean - he's brought him back and given him a business in 2 months......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »

Of course the "duff duff" cliffhanger stare is not hard, but if you ask a lot of US soap actors what they think/thought of the end of scene tag (as they call it), and you'll find that some find holding the 10 second stares quite tedious, because they have to do multiple takes, and their mind has to focus on something random, like 'have I left the oven on?' followed by 'I did leave the over on!'

I think some have jumped on him for comments that were cut and pasted from a TV interview and taken out of context. I bet his comments are nothing new, as many actors probably object to storylines for one reason or another. But we never get to hear about them, b/c they don't talk about it publicly. The main thing is he's doing the story, so whatever part he objected to for whatever reasons (maybe he was worried it would paint his character into a corner?), he's been convinced to suck it up by DTC..

After watching the interview, it actually wasn't taken out of context. I just think he sounds a bit high and mighty for a relatively minor character who is nowt special. Earn your stripes first before moaning about storylines.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching the interview, it actually wasn't taken out of context. I just think he sounds a bit high and mighty for a relatively minor character who is nowt special. Earn your stripes first before moaning about storylines.

I don't think he's a minor character anymore, given that he's Micks brother & Shirley son- and these are the 2 characters right at the centre of EE at the mo.
    I look forward to the storyline of Deans mental illness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I don't think he's a minor character anymore, given that he's Micks brother & Shirley son- and these are the 2 characters right at the centre of EE at the mo.
    I look forward to the storyline of Deans mental illness.

It remains to be seen, in my eyes. He could become an iconic character and be part of a top storyline, or an embarrassing fail in a flop storyline. To me, the big families who get the big plots always have the iconic members, and the ones that nobody bothered about, or soon forget about.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having caught up with Friday's episode I think it's possible that the storyline is that Dean is going to try and muscle in on Mick's position in the family, and be him almost? To be honest I can see Matt having reservations about it simply because its almost making Dean a villain when it's clear he needs help.

It doesn't sound to me like he had the strop some people are implying on here, more that he had reservations and he and DTC had a discussion about it and it's sorted now.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having caught up with Friday's episode I think it's possible that the storyline is that Dean is going to try and muscle in on Mick's position in the family, and be him almost? To be honest I can see Matt having reservations about it simply because its almost making Dean a villain when it's clear he needs help.

I think this might happen as well. With the spoiler that came out fairly recently about Mick...
    ...being arrested for kerb crawling and not admitting the truth of what happened because he doesn't want to get Ian into trouble...

...I wonder if this is the beginning of him being ostracised by his family and Dean manipulating his way into it. It seems to me that Dean is incredibly envious of the Carter family in general. With his mum a constant disappointment to him, and the fact that he's been so easily accepted by Linda as well as Johnny and Nancy, I can really imagine him going to a dark place with all of this. Especially when he finds out that Mick is also Shirley's son. I think that could very well send him over the edge.

And perhaps that's what Matt was talking about in this interview. This all has the potential to get very dark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From today's new spoilers, could part of what Matt disliked be that
    Dean inappropriately touches Linda?
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From today's new spoilers, could part of what Matt disliked be that
    Dean inappropriately touches Linda?

I think that's just the start of it, to be honest. I think he'll eventually go even further than that. If he's already inappropriately touching her at this early point in the storyline, surely it's just going to get worse as it goes on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I think that's just the start of it, to be honest. I think he'll eventually go even further than that. If he's already inappropriately touching her at this early point in the storyline, surely it's just going to get worse as it goes on?

I would think so. I don't know where the 'Shirley takes Dean's side' bit comes into it - surely she wouldn't necessarily take his side if it was something worse?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone heard any more about what Matt could have initially been against with his storyline?