Options

When is next Tuesday ?

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
Today is Thursday. I just asked Siri to remind me about something next Tuesday and it set the reminder for Tuesday the 5th August. I asked the same question of Google Now and it gave me the 29th which in my opinion is the right answer. Just wondering ...

Comments

• Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Stupid Americanisms....

Next Tuesday should typically mean the forthcoming one....i.e. the one you said 29th.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would normally say 'This Tuesday'.

'Next Tuesday' might just be wrongly interpreted as two tuesdays away by some people (and apparently Siri)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »

'Next Tuesday' might just be wrongly interpreted as two tuesdays away by some people (and apparently Siri)

Yes indeed, I had to say that to set my reminder correctly. Although I don't know in anyone's book how next Tuesday could be interpreted as the Tuesday after the next one. It might be an Americanism as they do have some strange turns of phrase e.g. I "could care less" when they really mean "I couldn't care less"
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Yes indeed, I had to say that to set my reminder correctly. Although I don't know in anyone's book how next Tuesday could be interpreted as the Tuesday after the next one. It might be an Americanism as they do have some strange turns of phrase e.g. I "could care less" when they really mean "I couldn't care less"

That isn't recognized as being grammatically correct in the US though.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that "Next Tuesday" is a symbolic representation in some cultures and local cultures (and maybe even within a particular family)

Symbolic representation is just my phrase, I mean that people don't take the words literally.

Like when, as you say, Americans say "I could care less". They surely know what they mean, and other Americans would understand as well.

Just never say "See you next Tuesday" as that can cause offence in any English culture...
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Today is Thursday. I just asked Siri to remind me about something next Tuesday and it set the reminder for Tuesday the 5th August. I asked the same question of Google Now and it gave me the 29th which in my opinion is the right answer. Just wondering ...

Check to see if your iPhone is set to English or English (UK). Does it say "Mobile" or "Cellular" in Settings as the option under Bluetooth is the quick give away.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think of "next [...]day" as being that day next week, so "next Tuesday" as per example would be Tuesday 29th, whereas "next Saturday" would be Saturday 2nd rather than "the" next Saturday, ie. "this" Saturday. These rules are fairly arbitrary though and I might be tempted to ask to be reminded "on Tuesday" rather than "next Tuesday", and specify a date for anything any later than that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha. Everyone has a different opinion on this. In fact, earlier today someone asked me if I was free next weekend, which I took to mean the one after this one (since it's already Thursday). But it turns out they meant this weekend!

However, I think Google Now is correct in your example. I tend to think of 'this' as being in the same week, and everything else as 'next'. So if I asked on Monday to set an alarm for 'next Thursday', I'd mean a week on Thursday. Otherwise I'd say 'on Thursday' or 'this Thursday'.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly if you had told Siri "next Wednesday" it would have taken that as the 30th July and not 6th August! I think you are right in that it should have assumed next Tues was 29th.

It's not an Americanism but rather something that always has the potential to cause confusion in American or British English e.g. If you had said next Friday (or perhaps even Saturday) most people would not interpret that as tomorrow or in 2 days times but the following week.
  • Options
    culabulaculabula Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irish people too are notorious for this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From the replies it would appear that the most common interpretation of "next" is to apply it to next week, and I think that is how I usually interpret it.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Just tried on my 5S, saying "next Tuesday" brings up aug 5th, saying "This Tuesday" brings up tues 29th
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There can only be three Tuesdays. Last, this and next. If next is in two weeks on the 5/8 when was last? And which is this? If last is last week then that would mean there are 4 Tuesdays between 15/7 & 5/8. What do we call the fourth Tuesday then when we only have three Tuesdays? Entries on a post card to reach DS by next weekend.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    There can only be three Tuesdays. Last, this and next. If next is in two weeks on the 5/8 when was last?
    Ah see, now you've opened a whole can of worms! But now you've thrown in "last", it has clarified for me that my internal logic uses 'last', 'this' and 'next' to refer to weeks rather than days. That is, on Friday 25th July:

"last Tuesday" was Tuesday 15th, rather than the last Tuesday we encountered
    "this Tuesday" would, I guess, be Tuesday 22nd - though I'd refer to it as "Tuesday just gone"
    "next Tuesday" is Tuesday 29th - in this case, both the Tuesday of next week and the next Tuesday we encounter. But "next Saturday" is still Sat 2nd rather than tomorrow.

It's quite confusing when you sit and analyse it..!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah see, now you've opened a whole can of worms! But now you've thrown in "last", it has clarified for me that my internal logic uses 'last', 'this' and 'next' to refer to weeks rather than days. That is, on Friday 25th July:

"last Tuesday" was Tuesday 15th, rather than the last Tuesday we encountered
    "this Tuesday" would, I guess, be Tuesday 22nd - though I'd refer to it as "Tuesday just gone"
    "next Tuesday" is Tuesday 29th - in this case, both the Tuesday of next week and the next Tuesday we encounter. But "next Saturday" is still Sat 2nd rather than tomorrow.

It's quite confusing when you sit and analyse it..!

I would agree with this, and I suppose I would use "on Tuesday" to refer to the one we've just had. "Did you go to that meeting on Tuesday?" and so on.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree with this, and I suppose I would use "on Tuesday" to refer to the one we've just had. "Did you go to that meeting on Tuesday?" and so on.

That's because of the context though. "Are you going to the meeting on Tuesday?" would almost certainly mean this coming Tuesday, not the one we've just had.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Google is right, the app thingy is up the pole, well not from the UK, anyway. What they say elsewhere is irrelevant.

It's easily solved though, just say "Tuesday this week, Tuesday next week or Tuesday last week. As long as nobody is stupid enough to use business weeks starting on Mondays in a non-business context. <rolleyes>

August 5th would be the Tuesday after next but adding the date will always be the safest option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    That's because of the context though. "Are you going to the meeting on Tuesday?" would almost certainly mean this coming Tuesday, not the one we've just had.

Yeah. I suppose in the OP's example, the word 'next' wasn't really necessary. Google Now and Siri aren't going to set appointments for the past, so just saying 'Tuesday' would be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah. I suppose in the OP's example, the word 'next' wasn't really necessary. Google Now and Siri aren't going to set appointments for the past, so just saying 'Tuesday' would be fine.

Yes, you're right, "Tuesday" works fine as expected, that's what I will do in future - I might do that next Tuesday for the following Tuesday :)