Options

Would you like Ripper to happen?

BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read about this possible Buffy spin off ages ago, it was to be based around the early years of Giles and the BBC were interested and now due to dollhouse's axing the show might have a chance with Joss now free from other projects.

So would you like to see Ripper happen or do you think the whole Buffy universe should be left alone?

Personally I would like to see it happen as there was some mystery about Giles and I reckon it could be a hit a Buffy was popular in the UK.

Comments

• Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joss Whedon is I beleive doing films like 'Avengers' now, so I doubt he'll have time for it.
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read about this possible Buffy spin off ages ago, it was to be based around the early years of Giles and the BBC were interested and now due to dollhouse's axing the show might have a chance with Joss now free from other projects.

So would you like to see Ripper happen or do you think the whole Buffy universe should be left alone?

Personally I would like to see it happen as there was some mystery about Giles and I reckon it could be a hit a Buffy was popular in the UK.

Well firstly I think it should have a different name, Joss Whedon may not know, but in the UK there's the Yorkshire Ripper and of course Jack the, so that name would put a lot of people off it for a start.

I don't think it's meant to be Giles' early years, but Anthony Head could certainly play Giles as he is now. And I wouldn't rule out guest appearances from old Buffy and Angel stars, everyone says he's close friends with Willow and Wesley eg Alyson and Alexis !! :)
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    No i don't want it to happen personally, coming from a huge buffy fan
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make Giles a guest on Dr Who!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Tony Head last year, and he said that him and Joss still plan to do it...
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straight after Buffy and Angel, no, but it's been a while now and I think it would be a nice idea. Fill in those missing Saturday slots between Dr Who and Merlin.

Or not:D
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    As long as its not a Saturday evening show like Merlin or Doctor Who, sure.
  • Options
    Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if it negated the canonicity of the awful comic continuation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So would you like to see Ripper happen

I never wanted to see it happen, and I still don't. Leave the series alone.
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I agree

There should of always have been a tv movie based on Faith. Her backstory more importantly. But i can understand why Dushku passed on doing a spin off because you don't want to be forever known as Faith and thankfully she hasn't as she established herself as Tru and Echo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Only if it negated the canonicity of the awful comic continuation.

This.

God, I hate the Buffy comics. I like to pretend they don't exist. :D
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    For me, I don't want any spin-offs....at all! Once upon a time I did, with the end of Buffy Season 7 I was very much hoping for a 'Faith' or a 'Spike', lesser so a 'Ripper' but I wouldnt have complained.

I could never get into Angel myself, and was extremely upset when James Marsters showed up in the final season, somewhat cheapening the death scene in the Buffy finale.

Now I feel too much time has passed for it to be credible, and I would prefer the franchise to be left alone on the high it concluded with. And for me, the comics are non-canon. :D:p:D
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just fear the moment has passed for this :(
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    I just fear the moment has passed for this :(

I agree. There was a time to do it - but now it's too late. Better than Joss put his efforts into creating a brand new Universe for us to love and explore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes please, now Dollhouse has finished Joss is free so why not about a dozen Buffy/Angel movies each based on a different character?
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think the time has passed for the Buffyverse.

I say leave it be. I and most people have moved on - that was my teenage years, I'm now 23. It's been what 6/7 years since it finished?

Leave it alone, don't ruin it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    They're already ruining it with the comics, unfortunately.

I think the Ripper spin-off is the only place the Buffyverse could go, now.

I'd hate for there to be a film, or reboot, which there's been talk of.

But a series focussing on Giles' early days, I think that could still work - in a flashbacky kinda way.
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love this to happen, but I don't think there really would be many people willing to watch it.

I bet Giles had a great life though!
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rupert giles was a great well written character & played fantasticly well by anthony head so if it were to happen i would hope joss weadon wouldn't just throw something together.
    alot of time has passed so it would be nice to see what he's been upto.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Sadly, I think that tony is just too old to play his younger incarnation now..... but there's nothing wrong with the idea of getting in a younger Brit actor to play the role, and the esteemed Mr. Head could play his own dad!

After his performance in Bronson, perhaps Tom Hardy would be a good fit?