ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Bad night for ITV last night.

*runs*

Don't you start :D

Now, as the main troll of this thread has departed, can we have this thread now closed? Thanks.
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this bushmiulls is playing with us and temptation but as samuels gonethis thread really should end here please no more no itv crisis as others are in crisis if they are and therefore have nothing going wrong so basically thisi s the end of the line for this thread so yes i concur please close it before there are 20 pages of requests to do so thanks - the end
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no real crisis at ITV...they've just made a huge profit for goodness sake!

However ITV are serious about changing the image of their main channel, they need to drop their tacky Celebrity versions of classic gameshows in my opinion. They are ok as one off specials but please...ITV is suppose to be the people's channel, so get the people on!!!
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    There is no real crisis at ITV...they've just made a huge profit for goodness sake!
    I am starting to think that there is two different ITVs being talked about.

ITV PLC

and ITV the group of channels.

Despite the continued success of the ITV digital channels, ITV 1 really is not that much better off, and still struggles with variety, and dependent on a few too many big hits.

ITV PLC on the other hand, has been turned around, and is making lots of lovely profit globally.

I am also not convinced that ITV.com, has seen a massive improvement either.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »

ITV PLC

Despite the continued success of the ITV digital channels, ITV 1 really is not that much better off, and still struggles with variety, and dependent on a few too many big hits.

ITV PLC on the other hand, has been turned around, and is making lots of lovely profit globally.

Very good post.

My gripe is that ITV stopped making sitcoms in the mid-90's, and although Channel 4 have carried on (but mainly independent Hat-trick productions) , it just leaves the BBC.
    IMHO sitcom writers need to be nurtured and challenged, so only having one organisation funding sitcoms is the road to ruin.
    If one controller or Head of Comedy doesn't like your idea, there is nowhere else to go.

There is no competition so everything has got a bit stale.

I am hoping the rise of SKY's home grown sitcoms will give the BBC Comedy dept a kick up the backside.

If SKY got into period dramas - say, nicked Julian Fellowes from ITV - then that would be another kick for the BBC and ITV.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

ITV PLC

I'd say things are better financially and it's good they're making shows like Downton Abbey instead of Soapstar Superstar. However, the main weakness is their dependence on some ageing shows like The X Factor, which is falling in the ratings, and the lack of a replacement, which could hit hard if The X Factor is cancelled. Also they need to move away from unsuccessful search for a star type formats like Superstar and improve their breakfast and morning programming, which is a no go area for men and better educated viewers at home.
    I would say, though, the ghastly noughties era has passed and even ITV2 isn't as banal as it was a few years ago( still lowbrow and trashy, but it seems to work among its key demographic, young women).
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that didn't last long!! 2 days crisis free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Well that didn't last long!! 2 days crisis free.

Crisis, what crisis?
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Can we have this thread removed off the face of the earth now please? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Exactly. Can we have this thread removed off the face of the earth now please? :D

Yeah, Hassaan, it seems to be going nowhere and it's clear ITV isn't in a crisis. Yes it's not the old ITV, but neither is the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    new thread required for itv moanin gs not in crisis so please lock cheers
    Forum Member
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    new thread required for itv moanin gs not in crisis so please lock cheers

No thread needed for moaning.

We need to lock it so we can leave Samuel to wind everyone up next week on the Ratings Thread when The Voice's ratings come out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep our samuel fix is available there then - lock time pls
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,403
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Yeah, Hassaan, it seems to be going nowhere and it's clear ITV isn't in a crisis. Yes it's not the old ITV, but neither is the BBC.

Indeed, Glenn A. If you look at the bigger picture then the overall BARB TV ratings then the ITV channel is consistently in second in a world of multiple digital channels which is no mean feat. ITV's spin off digital channels are also relatively well.

If anyone wants a real ratings crisis and a failure to live up to expectations then look no further than Sky Atlantic :eek:!:eek:

Link: http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-total-viewing-summary?_s=4
    Forum Member
    I wish you didn't bump this thread as it's given Samuel ideas :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    thought we d seen the last of this thread please delete
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If anyone wants a real ratings crisis and a failure to live up to expectations then look no further than Sky Atlantic :eek:!:eek:

Last time I looked it was the fifth most watched pay entertainment channel (and with the benefit of VM's 3m+ homes).
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    torpido wrote: »
    thought we d seen the last of this thread please delete

No matter how many times you demand this thread be locked/deleted, it won't be!
    Forum Member
    why not
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »
    No matter how many times you demand this thread be locked/deleted, it won't be!

Looks more like we are aiming for a continuation thread where nothing much worthwhile will be said, like in part 1.
    Forum Member
    yep --
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why not

Because there's no reason for it to be. Nobody apart from you is even asking for this thread to be closed. And threads are rarely ever deleted on DS, in my experience
    Forum Member
    a lot of people were earlier in the year when this thread was very active and off topic anbd then the main perpetrator left the thread to disappear and people now just bring back occasionally for a laugh and for a lot of the time the thread was/ is off topic anyway a prime example of a thread wanting closure if you ask me .
    Forum Member
    a lot of people were earlier in the year when this thread was very active and off topic anbd then the main perpetrator left the thread to disappear and people now just bring back occasionally for a laugh and for a lot of the time the thread was/ is off topic anyway a prime example of a thread wanting closure if you ask me .

Threads are never deleted/locked unless they break the terms & conditions or someone requests for it to be deleted/locked (I think only the OP can do that). So that won't happen unless the topic becomes inconstructive (i.e, we start arguing with Samuel about his nature :D).

So in the meantime, we ought to leave this thread alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Its is time Sky made SKY1 free to everyone and that would give ITV a run for their money.
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Very good post.

My gripe is that ITV stopped making sitcoms in the mid-90's, and although Channel 4 have carried on (but mainly independent Hat-trick productions) , it just leaves the BBC.
    IMHO sitcom writers need to be nurtured and challenged, so only having one organisation funding sitcoms is the road to ruin.
    If one controller or Head of Comedy doesn't like your idea, there is nowhere else to go.

There is no competition so everything has got a bit stale.

I am hoping the rise of SKY's home grown sitcoms will give the BBC Comedy dept a kick up the backside.

If SKY got into period dramas - say, nicked Julian Fellowes from ITV - then that would be another kick for the BBC and ITV.