• zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is now at #1 on itunes
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where have you read that?

Sir Bob said on Radio 2 it made a million in the first hour of showing it on x factor.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard Geldof of Radio 1 Breakfast Show this morning and he says there's going to be more than 1 version of the song. There's going to be dance mixes - Underworld are getting involved, so is David Guetta, Disclosure and a few others apparently.

A 'dance' mix?! :o

Anyone fancy dancing to this on a Sat night in your local club? :D
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Sir Bob said on Radio 2 it made a million in the first hour of showing it on x factor.

He would say that.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is now at #1 on itunes

The former number 1 by Clean Bandit is now at number 2 with sales fewer than 8% of the number 1.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    The former number 1 by Clean Bandit is now at number 2 with sales fewer than 8% of the number 1.

Do you know how much it as sold so far?
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    MASSIVE sales by the looks of it for BA30
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biggest lead by a #1 over #2 that I can remember seeing on Itunes. Physical CD wont be in the shops yet so sales should continue to be big for the next few weeks.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where have you read that?

It was on itv news earlier. It was just a quick report saying the website crash because it had so many visitors
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I heard Geldof of Radio 1 Breakfast Show this morning and he says there's going to be more than 1 version of the song. There's going to be dance mixes - Underworld are getting involved, so is David Guetta, Disclosure and a few others apparently.

A 'dance' mix?! :o

Anyone fancy dancing to this on a Sat night in your local club? :D

Yeah I think they are gunna be on the actual cd version and other downloads when it's released on the 8th of December
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Biggest lead by a #1 over #2 that I can remember seeing on Itunes. Physical CD wont be in the shops yet so sales should continue to be big for the next few weeks.

But will it make the Christmas number one? It will have to be at number one for five weeks to achieve that. And then we have The X Factor winners single as well. I predict Mr Cowell will donate all sales to Band Aid 30 for the winners single but may hold the release back a week so Band Aid 30 can get the Xmas number one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I predict Mr Cowell will donate all sales to Band Aid 30 for the winners single but may hold the release back a week so Band Aid 30 can get the Xmas number one.

I don't think it's feasible to hold the release back because everyone will be clamouring to download the song after watching the winner perform it on the X Factor final.

The key is on which date the final will be held; if it's December 20th, the single would not go into the chart until December 28th.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I don't think it's feasible to hold the release back because everyone will be clamouring to download the song after watching the winner perform it on the X Factor final.

The key is on which date the final will be held; if it's December 20th, the single would not go into the chart until December 28th.

Or possibly not, judging by the quality of the performances so far this year. :)

There was at least one year when the release was delayed so it wouldn't compete for the Xmas number 1 spot, I seem to recall.
  • ~Jane~~Jane~ Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The XF Finale is Sunday 14th Dec, meaning it would chart Sunday 21st and be Xmas number 1...:)
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What?

The 1984 Band Aid is the one which has most endured.

In fact, you could say it's the only one which has endured.

I few years ago I heard Band Aid II on the radio as part of some Christmas nostalgia segment , the station said that they had to play the original 7" as they had no other copy available which says it all.

Did Geldof have anything to do with Band Aid II? I thought it was a SAW project and he just gave permission for it.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Rita Ora is in the line up. Now there's a effing surprise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be at #1 on iTunes practically everywhere - most of Europe, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Argentina.

Currently #2 in USA, South Africa, and taking off in other significant (population-wise) countries.

So it's huge, and will raise a lot of money.

I don't think it's a great version of the song, but the cause is what counts.

I hope the money helps to save a lot of lives.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually not that bad, in fact the best since the original (although that's not saying much).

A bit lacking in the music department perhaps but that's the modern pop style for you - all vocal and no tune. And the vocals...well the guys were fairly good. Guy Garvey and Chris Martin hit the right tone, volume and tempo for the song, 1D sounded like a bunch of primary school kids, Bono was Bono and Sam Smith appeared to be chewing on a gobstopper whilst doing his bit. The girls were less impressive, mostly doing the predictable and unnecessary vocal acrobatics although Paloma and Sinead played it mostly straight. And the girl who sung after Bobo's "touching" line was apparently given new lyrics which seemed to be "fffmmnnn mfmnnffmm mfnfnfnmf" which is either an obscure West African dialect or someone had tried to sabotage her vocal part by supergluing her lips together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    There was at least one year when the release was delayed so it wouldn't compete for the Xmas number 1 spot, I seem to recall.

Indeed; I think that happened in 2012 to allow the Hillsborough single to become Christmas No1.
    ~Jane~ wrote: »
    The XF Finale is Sunday 14th Dec, meaning it would chart Sunday 21st and be Xmas number 1...:)

Doesn't strike me as being a good PR move to be seen to be knocking Band Aid off the top of the chart for Christmas...
    dodrade wrote: »
    I few years ago I heard Band Aid II on the radio as part of some Christmas nostalgia segment , the station said that they had to play the original 7" as they had no other copy available which says it all.

Did Geldof have anything to do with Band Aid II? I thought it was a SAW project and he just gave permission for it.

It was the other way round - he asked Pete Waterman to do it and just let him get on with it.

In fact, Waterman chose the artists purely according to who was in the Top 40 the week the song was recorded - which meant that Chris Rea got to be part of it as he was having a big hit at the time with 'The Road To Hell'.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    But will it make the Christmas number one? It will have to be at number one for five weeks to achieve that. And then we have The X Factor winners single as well. I predict Mr Cowell will donate all sales to Band Aid 30 for the winners single but may hold the release back a week so Band Aid 30 can get the Xmas number one.

Cowell will probably convince the XFactor winner to donate all their royalties for publicity,and in a years time that "forgotten" winner will regret being coerced into it
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened to the song (and saw the video) twice last night. Although I fully support the cause, the song sounds quite poor, a bit like a demo, rather than the finished product. Vocals seemed very poor / low level / indistinct - not something I would have expected from a full on finished track. Then again, looking at the video, I only recognised about 5 artists there. In fact there seems to have been very few artists involved this time (is it the lowest amount yet?) and who is this Rita Ora everyone is talking about? I've never heard of her, much less seen her!

Probably would have been better to have re-written more of the lyrics as a lot of them don't really work for Ebola in the same way they did for famine (feed the world???)
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    I just heard it, it sounds terrible.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    I had a gut feeling Clean Bandit were heading for around 100k this week so if Band Aid 30 are selling more than 10 times as many downloads, I think the new version of Do They Know It's Christmas could be heading for a new sales record.

Fastest selling single of all time - it really could end up selling well over 1 million this week alone. :o
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    I had a gut feeling Clean Bandit were heading for around 100k this week so if Band Aid 30 are selling more than 10 times as many downloads, I think the new version of Do They Know It's Christmas could be heading for a new sales record.

Fastest selling single of all time - it really could end up selling well over 1 million this week alone. :o

It would need to sell over 1.54 million to beat Candle in the wind. Plus bear in mind that it is only 99p and not around £3 we had to pay then. When the cd is released it will no doubt boost sales. That's when I'm getting it.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not very 'up' with the pop stars of today being an old git.

So please tell me who is the screeching bint in red who appears a couple of times?

Absolutely horrific.