What bands should call it a day.

evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There are some band that plod on and on. I saw the Manic Street preachers on Jools Holland and they were average to be fair. They have been on the scene for years and never gone away, but the standard of song, presentation, vocals were cringeworthy and sad. It made me think about some bands that stay together and should really not. Suede are another example.

Comments

• mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Stones...and some time ago.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Oh but they still have it and they are not a band that plod on every year they go away and occassionally perform.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not The Manics, they are still fantastic. That Jools Holland performance was certainly not their best and I have a feeling that Rewind the Film will become their Lifeblood 2.0, but I saw them last year during their European tour and they blew my mind, amazing live. They are still going strong and I'm already excited for their next album :D
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Amury wrote: »
    Not The Manics, they are still fantastic. That Jools Holland performance was certainly not their best and I have a feeling that Rewind the Film will become their Lifeblood 2.0, but I saw them last year during their European tour and they blew my mind, amazing live. They are still going strong and I'm already excited for their next album :D
    Perhaps it was bad night then. The lead singer looked jaded and worn out.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue - they seem to be really struggling with the transition into "man band" and appear lost.

McFly - identity crisis has been going on for years now.

Steps - no explanation needed.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh but they still have it and they are not a band that plod on every year they go away and occassionally perform.

Have what? They're a corporation now not a band.
    They just ain't rock n' roll anymore.
    I used to love them by the way.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Give over. They were great at Hyde Park.

I've seen The Who, Roger Waters and Blondie this summer, and they all were al brilliant too.

None of them at what they were in their youth, but they are still brilliant at what they do, and the audiences they attract show they still have massive appeal.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiss. Just stupid old b#stards now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »

Exactly.
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes its like watching pensioners trying to relive their youth. I do like their music but I dont like watching them perform anymore
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bands but Paul McCartney & Elton John really need to pack it in. They tend to "shout" now to reach the notes. Legends, but I really wish these two would realise they can't do it anymore. Rod Stewart on the other hand can still knock them out.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    McFly - identity crisis has been going on for years now.

I disagree. They just did four sold out shows at the Royal Albert Hall for their 10th anniversary. I don't think they are anywhere near calling it a day.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's too much money in nostalgia now for once-big bands to pack in in. Gigs are just easy money to them, no-one actually cares about their new records.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »

Still brilliant live, though and that's where they make their money.

And not stupid, either. Commercially they are very astute and very successful. They know exactly what their fans want and what sells and they have become very rich because of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    There's too much money in nostalgia now for once-big bands to pack in in. Gigs are just easy money to them, no-one actually cares about their new records.

Isn't that a sad reflection on a lot of modern music, though?

And most bands who were "once-big" who still tour do so for the enjoyment of playing together rather than purely for the money, and most of them as "still big" otherwise they wouldn't be selling out arenas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I disagree. They just did four sold out shows at the Royal Albert Hall for their 10th anniversary. I don't think they are anywhere near calling it a day.

But they don't know what musical direction to go in or what image to take on
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And not stupid, either. Commercially they are very astute and very successful. They know exactly what their fans want and what sells and they have become very rich because of it.

Kiss have been phoning it in Live for years - they don't even try anymore, same lines, same songs, same gimmicks in the same order every night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can't be serious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on, McFly are still going?
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    But they don't know what musical direction to go in or what image to take on

Again, I disagree. Even if that was the case, they have a very loyal fan base so why should they break up because someone who isn't a fan doesn't like them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Kiss have been phoning it in Live for years - they don't even try anymore, same lines, same songs, same gimmicks in the same order every night.

I've seen virtually every tour since @ 1980 and I know exactly what Kiss are like live and when they tour next year, as they are likely to, I can reasonably accurately predict what they will play, Most of Double Platinum, the hits from the '80s, plus a handful from the latest album.

However those that go to see them will be in on the "joke", a joke that their po-faced critics don't understand and will never understand. Kiss are a pantomime, a tongue-in-cheek good night out. They know that, their audience knows that, and they deliver it, every time, without fail. That is why they are such a successful live band.
    You can't be serious.

I'm 50 and I have seen thousands of bands, I still go to @ 30 gigs a year, I've already been to four gigs this month and seen 10 bands and I've still got another two gigs planned this month with another 10 planned before the rest of the year, so why can't I be serious? I've seen enough bands to know what works and what doesn't and who are good live and who aren't. Kiss know what they do well and that's what they stick to and it works for them.

Kiss put on a great show, that's why their gigs sell out. They might not appeal to you but they are still one of the highest grossing touring bands in the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Again, I disagree. Even if that was the case, they have a very loyal fan base so why should they break up because someone who isn't a fan doesn't like them?

It is the case though. They should have never went down the electropop route...it wasn't them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen virtually every tour since @ 1980 and I know exactly what Kiss are like live and when they tour next year, as they are likely to, I can reasonably accurately predict what they will play, Most of Double Platinum, the hits from the '80s, plus a handful from the latest album.

However those that go to see them will be in on the "joke", a joke that their po-faced critics don't understand and will never understand. Kiss are a pantomime, a tongue-in-cheek good night out. They know that, their audience knows that, and they deliver it, every time, without fail. That is why they are such a successful live band.

I'm 50 and I have seen thousands of bands, I still go to @ 30 gigs a year, I've already been to four gigs this month and seen 10 bands and I've still got another two gigs planned this month with another 10 planned before the rest of the year, so why can't I be serious? I've seen enough bands to know what works and what doesn't and who are good live and who aren't. Kiss know what they do well and that's what they stick to and it works for them.

Kiss put on a great show, that's why their gigs sell out. They might not appeal to you but they are still one of the highest grossing touring bands in the world.

Well... maybe I haven't been to as many concerts as you, but I have seen a few of them too. If you like Kiss, good. Their over the top shows, the same old gimmicks and pyro effects combined with their cheesy music just don't do it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well... maybe I haven't been to as many concerts as you, but I have seen a few of them too. If you like Kiss, good. Their over the top shows, the same old gimmicks and pyro effects combined with their cheesy music just don't do it for me.

But that is exactly why they are still successful, because they do exactly what it says on the tin, every night, without fail.

I wouldn't say I'm a Kiss fan at all, I've got one album of theirs, Double Platinum, but that is the only one you need, but for pure old-fashioned entertainment Kiss are hard to beat live.

The reason why bands like Kiss, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, etc, remain so popular is because they deliver live, every time. A lot of young bands, and the majority of bands I see fall in to that category, would do well to watch these bands, to watch their stage-craft and how to put on a show.

Too many bands today think that turning up, going through the motions for 90 minutes, and walking off, will automatically achieve massive success. It doesn't work like that.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

Amen to that! Christ, what an embarrassment they are. The music is shite (and has been since Exile On Main Street) and they are now nothing but a corporate money-making machine.