HIGNFY series 46

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Possibly the most sensible reason I've seen to vote for Farage and his mob though, the others are general nonsense, built on prejudices and lies, spread from publications like the Mail:)
    Why not vote Green then?
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Umm, he's always been more to the right, his joy at Labour getting booted out last General Election was quite palpable.

Doesn't make him a bad thing, and he goes for all parties in general.

If you see left-wing bias in him, then I guess it's probably your skewed way of looking at things.

Well, he might hate Labour, but you only have to read Private Eye to see how much he despises the tories and what they stand for. More to the right? I get the impression he'd die of shame if he read that...
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, he might hate Labour, but you only have to read Private Eye to see how much he despises the tories and what they stand for. More to the right? I get the impression he'd die of shame if he read that...

I think Private Eye is a satirical publication that goes against authority, be it Labour, Tory and now even the Libs.

I personally feel he's more right-wing then left, but it doesn't matter, he's not biased he just slates them all, which is a good thing really. Most of them do deserve slating.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They all looked stupid with their numerous mentions of the Post Office sale. The Post Office hasn't been sold, Royal Mail has. They're totally different companies.
  • lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member

He wouldn't.

I get the impression he's naturally a One Nation Conservative and doesn't particularly like what the Tories have become but still leans centre right.

I'm fairly sure he's said before that he has voted for all the major parties at some point but only once for Labour
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Private Eye is a satirical publication that goes against authority, be it Labour, Tory and now even the Libs.

I personally feel he's more right-wing then left, but it doesn't matter, he's not biased he just slates them all, which is a good thing really. Most of them do deserve slating.

Weve subscribed to the Eye for over thirty years...Hislop has gamely carried on from those before him. Anyone is fair game....long may that continue
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osman probably was nervous but I don't think it affected his performance as host in any way. I thought he did a good job. Dan Snow made the atmosphere a bit awkward I thought.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osman probably was nervous but I don't think it affected his performance as host in any way. I thought he did a good job. Dan Snow made the atmosphere a bit awkward I thought.

Did Dan Snow bring his father Peter Snow to the show? After all it would only be fair as his father put him on so many of his shows...
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Did Dan Snow bring his father Peter Snow to the show? After all it would only be fair as his father put him on so many of his shows...

How many shows has his father 'put him on'? The two of them work together on many programmes but nothing unusual about family members working together.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember some time ago , an acquaintance was really slagging off Dan Snow which I couldn't understand. After that appearance on HIGNFY, I do now!

Great fan of Richard Osman but he seemed very nervous especially when reading the autocue. Still enjoyed the programme though.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Osman was not bad as a guest but pretty crap as host, kind of flat and nervous which is unlike him, couldnt really get past the stressed shaky head thing he had going on.
    Borefest wrote: »
    I am glad I was not the only one who noticed the shaky head, for the first time in a long time I switched of half way through .......thought it was pants.
    Sam Walker wrote: »
    To clear that up, he posted on Twitter that he wasn't shaking, he suffers from Nystagmus which makes his eyes flicker.
    The thing about this whole head shaking/Nystagmus debate, is that I've never once seen him do it whilst he's on Pointless and the last time he was on HIGNFY, as a guest, so it must have been a combination of nerves, (as I think this is the first time he's ever hosted HIGNFY) and the discord with Snow, that exacerbated it, last night.
    It looked like a nervous shiver to me.

I didn't think this episode was that great either. The series hasn't taken off for me yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, he comes across as slightly more right-wing than left. He's a royalist as well, as I remember him laying in to Greg Davies on one of the series' last year because he was being really snarky about the Jubilee. I don't think that necessarily indicates a distinct political leaning at all, though arguably it's something more common in the right than in the left.

But yeah, as editor of Private Eye, his job is pretty much to scrutinise and mock all of them. And he generally does that very well imo. :)
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Osman was fine actually and a lot better than some of the other hosts.

Dan Snow was like a fish out of water. A cold one at that.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used to buy Private Eye many years ago but it always seemed to be full on 'in-jokes', sort of house magazine of Fleet Street and people on the periphery of politics. I have bought the odd copy since and does not seem to have changed much.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Osman was fine actually and a lot better than some of the other hosts.

Dan Snow was like a fish out of water. A cold one at that.

I agree with you. Dan was probably the worst guest since Bob Crow.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Osman made this the most least watchable episode I can ever remember. Dan Snow was one of the few pluses.
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was generally a flat episode but Snow was awful.

As for Hislop's rare praise for the Daily Mail, it's well documented that their uncharacteristic stance was only because Stephen Lawrence's father had previously worked on decorating on Dacre's house and was later made aware of the connection. Otherwise they would no doubt have been the usual fair game.
    The support came after editor Paul Dacre realised he had met Stephen when Mr Lawrence was decorating his house.

Mr Lawrence told BBC London 94.9's Eddie Nestor: "I did a lot of work in Paul Dacre's house.

"I used to see a car picking him up in the mornings, taking him to work, bringing him back in the evenings."

But Mr Lawrence had no idea he was decorating the house of a national newspaper editor.

He said the realisation only came after Mr Lawrence and his wife Doreen met Nelson Mandela in May 1993 after Stephen's death.

"There had been a riot the weekend before and the Daily Mail had this story about the riots...and in the middle of that story there was about Stephen and the fact that we had met [Nelson] Mandela."

When journalists from the paper came to interview Mr Lawrence, he confronted them.

Stephen was killed waiting for a bus in south-east London
    He said: "The first thing I said to them was: 'Why did your editor put my family in the middle of all that violence, we are not about violence'."

He said he was asked to speak to the editor about the issue, leading him to realise his former client headed the newspaper.

Mr Lawrence said: "The following morning I rang the Daily Mail's office to speak to Paul Dacre.

"He said to me: 'Neville, I didn't know it was you'.

"I said: 'But Mr Dacre, you've met my kids. I used to take my children to places where I work'. He had met Stephen and Stuart."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16750408
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched and enjoyed the show since the start but it has become pretty tiresome now. If Jo Brand comes on the show again I will put my foot through the screen.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wouldn't.

I get the impression he's naturally a One Nation Conservative and doesn't particularly like what the Tories have become but still leans centre right.

I'm fairly sure he's said before that he has voted for all the major parties at some point but only once for Labour

I've no idea what his politics are on fiscal issues but when it comes to social issues he has always appeared quite 'small c' conservative. He is, if I remember correctly, quite religious and so takes a moralistic stance on many subjects. you see that throughout Private Eye when they cover sexual scandals and it was shown clearly when the whole fallout with Deayton happened.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    I've no idea what his politics are on fiscal issues but when it comes to social issues he has always appeared quite 'small c' conservative. He is, if I remember correctly, quite religious and so takes a moralistic stance on many subjects. you see that throughout Private Eye when they cover sexual scandals and it was shown clearly when the whole fallout with Deayton happened.

I think he's actually a Lay Preacher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Osman made this the most least watchable episode I can ever remember. Dan Snow was one of the few pluses.

What did Dan Show bring to the show in your opinion? It wasn't laughs surely?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do realise people have their differing opinions on the show, but I do find it faintly ridiculous how so many of the shows are called "the worst ever".

Honestly sometimes I feel HIGNFY threads are filled with Comic-book guys:D

It was a perfectly fine episode, not Earth-shattering, but it had it's moments, pretty much like most episodes really. Osman was Okay, clearly nervous, but he had some good lines.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    What did Dan Show bring to the show in your opinion? It wasn't laughs surely?
    He was entertainingly informative which is often the role served by Merton's partner. Why would you expect him to be a provider of outright laughs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    If Jo Brand comes on the show again I will put my foot through the screen.
    At least the show has a bit of oomph about it when Jo Brand is the host. This weeks was just flat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    He was entertainingly informative which is often the role served by Merton's partner. Why would you expect him to be a provider of outright laughs?

Because it's a comedy quiz show? I'm not watching to be informed, I'm watching to be made to laugh. I don't agree with the suggestion that Merton's partner often plays that role either. I don't think whether a guest is on Paul or Ian's team matters.