Options

HIGNFY series 46

Comments

• Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well perhaps it's just me then, but I think this is the best series ever and Stephen Merchant was the best host for a very long time.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was rather too obvious in reading from his crib cards, it seemed at times he was the schoolmaster trying to get answers from his pupils. A ho hum episode in a ho-hum week of news.

The BBC seems unutterably committed to the folly of the hit and miss system of guest presenters, it doesn't work, never has done.

HIGNFY needs a stable, confident and FUNNY host. They used to have one I recall, but the BBC let him go, just what was his name again ..............................?
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was rather too obvious in reading from his crib cards, it seemed at times he was the schoolmaster trying to get answers from his pupils. A ho hum episode in a ho-hum week of news.

The BBC seems unutterably committed to the folly of the hit and miss system of guest presenters, it doesn't work, never has done.

HIGNFY needs a stable, confident and FUNNY host. They used to have one I recall, but the BBC let him go, just what was his name again ..............................?

All the presenters are like that in my opinion, probably because the majority of them aren't even career presenters.
  • Options
    ivqiiivqii Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    HIGNFY has been a pet programme of mine for many years - but the time has come at last to have the pet put down
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    ivqii wrote: »
    HIGNFY has been a pet programme of mine for many years - but the time has come at last to have the pet put down
    I just think it needs refreshing. Hislop and Merton seem bored with the sight of each other, and it's now so dependent on the choice of presenter. The choice of guests is often somewhat uninspiring. Apart from that, it's fine!

I much prefer The News Quiz on the radio, as even although it's been going for a lot longer than HIGNFY, it doesn't feel stale.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think it needs refreshing. Hislop and Merton seem bored with the sight of each other, and it's now so dependent on the choice of presenter. The choice of guests is often somewhat uninspiring. Apart from that, it's fine!

I much prefer The News Quiz on the radio, as even although it's been going for a lot longer than HIGNFY, it doesn't feel stale.
    It's all a matter of personal preference, I used to always listen to the News Quiz and even sometimes record if I was not going to be around. I very rarely listen now because too much of the same from people like Mark Steel and Jeremy Hardy and Sandi Toksvig's annoying laughter at the lamest 'joke'.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Well perhaps it's just me then, but I think this is the best series ever and Stephen Merchant was the best host for a very long time.

I wouldn't say the best series myself, but I do think Stephen Merchant was good last night, he seemed quite relaxed doing it. I'm quite suprised at the negativity towards him, I thought he did well.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with well established shows like this is that the writers become lazy. If ratings remain stable there really isn't an impetus to change things.
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the best series myself, but I do think Stephen Merchant was good last night, he seemed quite relaxed doing it. I'm quite suprised at the negativity towards him, I thought he did well.

I agree, he was relaxed and funny
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    I don't like Stephen Merchant so didn't get into the 'vibe' of this episode.
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That has to be one of the unfunniest HIGNFY I have ever seen. Merchant seems to think because he was Gervais's right hand man, he is somewhat funny....your not!. I think, sadly this show has run it's time, and I say this as someone who has watched it since the first series. My favourite epidsodes were the one's with Brian Blessed, Tom Baker and William Shatner as guests presenters:)
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    That has to be one of the unfunniest HIGNFY I have ever seen. Merchant seems to think because he was Gervais's right hand man, he is somewhat funny....your not!. I think, sadly this show has run it's time, and I say this as someone who has watched it since the first series. My favourite epidsodes were the one's with Brian Blessed, Tom Baker and William Shatner as guests presenters:)
    :yawn: So pleased that your sense of humour is different than mine. .
  • Options
    Jimbob91Jimbob91 Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought the last two episodes have been very strong, made me laugh quite a few times. Strangely the first show with David Mitchell as host (probably my favourite comedian) seemed flat, audience didn't seem bothered at all to me. Was fearing for this series after the first episode but now I think it's warming up nicely...
  • Options
    lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »

Best series EVER? Really?

It was a pretty poor episode but then I'm not really sure what people expect from HIGNFY. It's still a programme with a nice atmosphere and can still be funny. It's never really going to be what it was when it was at it's best and frankly it's still one of the best panel shows around. I think people just need to start enjoying it for what it is.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised SM was a good host.
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :yawn: So pleased that your sense of humour is different than mine. .

Always happy to please Marmite Baby....you are always in my thoughts :rolleyes:
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Gabby Logan's joke about the BBC offering 5 million to stop her from joining BT Sport.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Gabby Logan's joke about the BBC offering 5 million to stop her from joining BT Sport.

As Ian said, that seemed more like a pitch!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    . My favourite epidsodes were the one's with Brian Blessed, Tom Baker and William Shatner as guests presenters:)

I can agree with you about Tom Baker and William Shatner, but the Brain Blessed episode was one of the few that |I have ever switched off. It was truly dreadful with one act Brian doing his one act of shouting.
  • Options
    roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gyles Brandeth made that an awful episode. Paul at least provided some light relief to his rambles.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gyles Brandeth made that an awful episode. Paul at least provided some light relief to his rambles.

Definitely - he's not normally that bad, either. Bit of an odd ep.
  • Options
    yosemitesamyosemitesam Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True, but also down to the edit, surely they could have cut most of that and included some of the others instead :mad:
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Merton ruined that episode, not Brandreth. I've no time for Brandreth, but that was a very cynical exercise. Merton has long given up actually trying to participate and be funny, so he concentrates instead on wrecking whoever looks most likely to dominate the proceedings. He can't be arsed to dominate proceedings himself, but he's still competitive enough to stop anyone else from doing so. It's amazing to think now that he once took a break from the show because he feared he was getting stale. He does nothing but deliberately ruin someone else's gags and look at the audience.
  • Options
    roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but also down to the edit, surely they could have cut most of that and included some of the others instead :mad:

True. Prezza didn't say a word.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A dreadful episode ruined by that muppet Brrandreth. Did they give him some marching powder before he went on? Awful.