Options

This show is sliding!

Comments

• Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    So... a Saturday night, primetime entertainment show is "too mainstream"? What ever next, X Factor losing it's Indie roots?

People MASSIVELY over-exaggerate how bad last year's lineup was. It really wasn't. It was varied and a bit quirky, but it wasn't of a low standard. This year we know, maybe, a quarter of the cast already... WAY too early to be saying it's "the worst line-up evah!1"

Last year was fine -they had 3 real competitors for once and they didn't have the previous two year's problems with under performing finalists, or people winning for other reasons than dancing ability.Vanessa , Tony, Fiona, Deborah, Rachel, Sophie, Susannah and Patrick had just about enough name recognition between them and ticked a lot of traditional SCD sources for contestants.

This year does look a bit of a turn off. They have very few real celebrities, and fewer well known names than even last year - let a one most later series ( like series 8-10) When you have Alison Hammond and a sportsman's mum things are not getting better. Pixie Lott and Caroline Flack may be good casting in performance terms , but may be unknown to the SCD audience and, if they do do well, will repeat last year's format of not too well know stars and female dominance. Otherwise its the dld spare Eastender, day time TV hosts ew people ever see, old boyband members, and Gregg trying to be more blokey than Len. Thats before they have to deal with the loss of Bruce, the lack of comedy element, and rambling Winkleman.....

Ola is right, X factor with Simon and Cheryl back, and some decent singers , might do better against that.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Last year was fine -they had 3 real competitors for once and they didn't have the previous two year's problems with under performing finalists, or people winning for other reasons than dancing ability.Vanessa , Tony, Fiona, Deborah, Rachel, Sophie, Susannah and Patrick had just about enough name recognition between them and ticked a lot of traditional SCD sources for contestants.

This year does look a bit of a turn off. They have very few real celebrities, and fewer well known names than even last year - let a one most later series ( like series 8-10) When you have Alison Hammond and a sportsman's mum things are not getting better. Pixie Lott and Caroline Flack may be good casting in performance terms , but may be unknown to the SCD audience and, if they do do well, will repeat last year's format of not too well know stars and female dominance. Otherwise its the dld spare Eastender, day time TV hosts ew people ever see, old boyband members, and Gregg trying to be more blokey than Len. Thats before they have to deal with the loss of Bruce, the lack of comedy element, and rambling Winkleman.....

Ola is right, X factor with Simon and Cheryl back, and some decent singers , might do better against that.

I disagrree - I really didn't rate last year's line up: there was only one musician, about five soapstars and a few retirees who barely anyone had heard of.

This line up is not only very current, but all of the celebs will have considerable fanbases. I personally like this line up, and i think that SCD will beat TXF again this year quite comfortably.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member

But Bruce WAS the lack of any comedy element. ;-) :p ;-)
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    But Bruce WAS the lack of any comedy element. ;-) :p ;-)

:kitty::D:D
  • Options
    kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Got to disagree pretty much completely. I don't see how this years contestants are any different in overall celebrity profile to any other year - and they appear to have the potential to be better dancers (younger age range, generally more athletic). And you make reference to Gregg Wallace who isn't even a guaranteed contestant.

Loss of Bruce will probably have a net-zero effect. There will be people who turn off because he isn't there, equally there will be those who switch on. He was divisive - not a guaranteed success factor for the show (I couldn't stand him and fast-forwarded his bits). And you may not like Claudia but the shows with her and Tess in the past 2 years did more than OK in the ratings (typically up on the Bruce week before...).
  • Options
    yenstonyenston Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion this is officially the worst line up ever. I think the vast majority of the public will struggle to know who any of them are. Particularly the older generation who are actually the main core of the audience for Strictly. I think the most well known name is Judy Murray, which is strangely ironic seeing as she's mainly famous for who her son is.

I predict that ratings will slide this series. People will put it down to the X Factor having Simon and Cheryl back but I don't think this will be true. Kevin O'Sullivan just described it on the Wright Stuff as the non celebrity line-up.
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yenston wrote: »
    In my opinion this is officially the worst line up ever. I think the vast majority of the public will struggle to know who any of them are. Particularly the older generation who are actually the main core of the audience for Strictly. I think the most well known name is Judy Murray, which is strangely ironic seeing as she's mainly famous for who her son is.

I predict that ratings will slide this series. People will put it down to the X Factor having Simon and Cheryl back but I don't think this will be true. Kevin O'Sullivan just described it on the Wright Stuff as the non celebrity line-up.

I feel the same. It really is the weakest line-up ever. For those of us, like Yenston & I, who have watched every series, and stick with it, even when we're bored/irritated/annoyed. We will always watch.

The audience, whom this list was largely selected for (save for a couple of older contestants) are in their teens, 20s etc. who aren't even dedicated Strictly fans - hence the constant references to X Factor, and "what Simon Cowell will think?" on this forum nowadays. Who gives a fig? I don't! I won't be watching X Factor anyway. But in an attempt to lure younger audiences away towards Strictly, they may lose it's loyal and dedicated core audience in the process. We'll see how it develops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    I feel the same. It really is the weakest line-up ever. For those of us, like Yenston & I, who have watched every series, and stick with it, even when we're bored/irritated/annoyed. We will always watch.

The audience, whom this list was largely selected for (save for a couple of older contestants) are in their teens, 20s etc. who aren't even dedicated Strictly fans - hence the constant references to X Factor, and "what Simon Cowell will think?" on this forum nowadays. Who gives a fig? I don't! I won't be watching X Factor anyway. But in an attempt to lure younger audiences away towards Strictly, they may lose it's loyal and dedicated core audience in the process. We'll see how it develops.

I am absolutely dumbfounded as to how you can call it the worst line up ever. We have 2 actors who are pretty much household names, 3 extremely successful musicians, sportspeople, well-known TV presenters such as Caroline and Gregg who presents Britains biggest cookery competition.

I mean Christ alive, who the f*ck were you expecting?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    La Rhumba wrote: »

And excuse me but who are you to decide who the 'dedicated' fans are?! I am 16, and would desrribe myself as a dedicated fan!

Anyhow, SCD's aim is to get the most virwrs and if that means losing 'dedicated fans' then so be.it!
  • Options
    PinkDiamondPinkDiamond Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I personally can't wait and will be watching every week. I like the fact that there are several potential winners and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do on the dance floor!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I personally can't wait and will be watching every week. I like the fact that there are several potential winners and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do on the dance floor!

Agreed. It's going to be very competitive - it's a level playing field in terms of potential winners.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By my count (although officially I have given up predicting anything after Abbey won) there are "on paper" about as many potential winners (Caroline, Pixie, Frankie, Thom, Simon, Mark) as there were last series (Abbey, Natalie, Rachel, Susanna, Sophie, Ashley, Ben). Obviously as always some of the above are going to turn out to be carp and some "dark horses" will float through a la Patrick but the line-up seemed a lot more competitive at the outset than now it's been packed out with soap actors and Gregg Wallace.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I mean Christ alive, who the f*ck were you expecting?!

Sums up perfectly my thoughts too to those that are whining in regards to this line up. People are living under a rock if they claim that this line up has no current relevance or that they don't know who most of them are. Fair enough if you haven't heard of someone but to completely dismiss their potential value that they could give to the show's ethos before it's even started is ridiculous. Yes, I'm disappointed we have someone who originated from TOWIE but I can see why he's been chosen and will give Mark the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    By my count (although officially I have given up predicting anything after Abbey won) there are "on paper" about as many potential winners (Caroline, Pixie, Frankie, Thom, Simon, Mark) as there were last series (Abbey, Natalie, Rachel, Susanna, Sophie, Ashley, Ben). Obviously as always some of the above are going to turn out to be carp and some "dark horses" will float through a la Patrick but the line-up seemed a lot more competitive at the outset than now it's been packed out with soap actors and Gregg Wallace.

There is one soap actor...

Casualty isn't a soap - last year they had 3 soapies compared to this year's one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Casualty's not a soap then they had 2 last year - Natalie and Ashley.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    And if Casualty isn't a soap, then Brookside certainly is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah forgot about Sunetra being in Brookside.

Mark was in Waterloo Road which is a soap surely?
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah forgot about Sunetra being in Brookside.

Mark was in Waterloo Road which is a soap surely?

If Casualty isn't a soap, then no, Waterloo Road isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CloneClown wrote: »
    Sums up perfectly my thoughts too to those that are whining in regards to this line up. People are living under a rock if they claim that this line up has no current relevance or that they don't know who most of them are. Fair enough if you haven't heard of someone but to completely dismiss their potential value that they could give to the show's ethos before it's even started is ridiculous. Yes, I'm disappointed we have someone who originated from TOWIE but I can see why he's been chosen and will give Mark the benefit of the doubt.

I know, it's ludicrous! Just because you personally haven't heard of someone doesn't make the line up sh*te.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Casualty isn't a soap, then no, Waterloo Road isn't.

Okay!
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    yenston wrote: »

They are all celebrities, and very much in the manner as what has gone before, who on earth did you expect to do it!?

So just for fun here are all the casts since SCD started, I'd be interested to hear which ones you thought had 'better' celebrities and why:

Series 1

Jason Wood, David Dickinson, Verona Joseph Claire Sweeney, Martin Offiah, Lesley Garrett, Chris Parker, Natasha Kaplinsky

Series 2: Quentin Wilson, Carol Vorderman, Esther Rantzen, Diarmund Gavin, Sarah Manners, Aled Jones, Roger Black, Denise Lewis, Julian Clary and Jill Halfpenny

Series 3: Siobhan HayesJaye Jacobs, Gloria Hunniford, Fiona Phillips, Dennis Taylor, Will Thorp, Bill Turnbull, Patsy Palmer, James Martin, Zoe Ball, Colin Jackson, Darren Gough

Series 4: NIcholas Owen, Jimmy Tarbuck, Mica Paris, DJ Spoony, Jan Ravens, Ray Fearon, Peter Schmeichel, Claire King, Carol Smilie, Louisa Lytton, Emma Bunton, Matt Dawson, Mark Ramprakash

Series 5: Brian Capron, Stephanie Beacham, Willie Thorne, Gabby Logan, Dominic Littlewood, Penny Lancaster Stewart, Kate Garraway, John Barnes, Kelly Brook, Kenny Logan, Letitia Dean, Matt Di Angelo, Gethin Jones, Alesha Dixon

Series 6: Phil Daniels, Gary Rhodes, Gillian Taylforth, Jessie Wallace, Don Warrington, Mark Foster, Andrew Castle, Heather Small, Cherie Lunghi, John Sargent, Jodie Kidd, Christine Bleakley, Austin Healey, Lisa Snowdon, Rachael Stevens, Tom Chambers

Series 7: Martina Hinigis, Richard Dunwoody, Rav Wilding, Lynda Bellingham, Joe Calzaghe, Jo Wood, Zoe Lucker, Craig Kelly, Phil Tufnell, Jade Johnson, Ricky Groves, Natalie Cassidy, Laila Rouass, Ali Bastian, Ricky Whittle, Chris Hollins

Series 8: Goldie, Paul Daniels, Peter Shilton, Tina O'Brien, Jimi Mistry, Michelle Williams, Felicity Kendal, Patsy Kensit, Ann Widdicombe, Gavin Henson, Scott Maslen, Pamela Stephenson, Matt Baker, Kara Tointon

Series 9: Edwina Currie, Dan Lobb, Rory Bremner, Nancy Delollio, Lulu, Audley Harrison, Russel Grant, Anita Dobson, Robbie Savage, Alex Jones, Holly Valance, Jason Donovan, Chelsee Healey, Harry Judd,

Series 10: Johnny Ball, Jerry Hall, Sid Owen, Colin Salmon, Fern Britton, Richard Arnold, Victoria Pendleton, Michael Vaughn, Lisa Riley, Dani Harmer, Denise Van Outen, Kimberley Walsh, Louis Smith

Series 11: Tony Jacklin, Vannessa Feltz, Julien Macdonald, Deborah Meaden, Rachael Riley, Dave Myers, Fiona Fulleton, Ben Cohen, Mark Benton, Ashley Taylor Dawson, Patrick Robinson, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Natalie Gumede, Susanna Reid, Abbey Clancy

Series 12: Alison Hammond, Caroline Flack, Frankie Bridge, Jake Wood, Judy Murray, Mark Wright, Pixie Lott, Scott Mills, Simon Webbe, Sunetra Sarker, Steve Backshall, Thom Evans, Tim Wonnacott, Gregg Wallace, Jennifer Gibney

Now I think having looked at all 12 lines up side by side, its no damn different to any other year with a good mix of current, past and slightly dodgy 'celebs' Its much better than most of the line ups in terms of celebrity tbh. And anyone who listens to Kevin O'Sullivan needs a reality check anyway!!
  • Options
    miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always makes me laugh when people worry that the show won't be good because they don't know who the contestants are. Surely what we all love is getting to know them and watching their progress. I've loved some previous years for the people I didn't know beforehand (Abbey for example) who I was dreading watching but who was my favourite in the end. Let's wait and see and give everyone an equal chance.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    miaviv wrote: »
    Always makes me laugh when people worry that the show won't be good because they don't know who the contestants are. Surely what we all love is getting to know them and watching their progress. I've loved some previous years for the people I didn't know beforehand (Abbey for example) who I was dreading watching but who was my favourite in the end. Let's wait and see and give everyone an equal chance.

I agree with you. Doesn't bother me if I've never heard of the celebs, in fact I'd say sometimes it is an advantage - no pre-conceived ideas on whether I like/dislike someone before they've even started! Plus, quite often it is the "biggest stars" who turn out to be the most boring!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *cough*BUNTON*cough*
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I really wanted Kate Adie, Kim Bodnia, Patrick Stewart and his Klingon friend, and... Brian Blessed (waves to Mr XcX :D) but I'm sure I'll love / be irritated by this lot just fine, once I am able to recognise their faces.

Completely agree with miaviv and kaycee on this. We all have gaps somewhere in our cultural knowledge and SCD brings us up to speed.

Oh, I've just thought of someone modernish who would've been good too, in a gawky giraffe way -- David Caves.