Forgotten Disney's

rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Freaky Friday was on tv the other day (missed it)

But it got me thinking about other live action Disney films of the 70s/80s, most of which are rarely shown so get forgotten.

I used to love watching them on video especially at Christmas.

Condorman
The Cat From Outer Space
Swiss Family Robinson
Pete's Dragon (I think I wore that vhs out)
Spaceman and King Arthur (weirdly called Unidentified Flying Oddball in the US)

Any more?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Escape to Witch Mountain and its sequel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    That Darn Cat
    The Shaggy Dog
    The Shaggy DA
    The Strongest Man In the World
    The Parent Trap

They all used to be on regularly at Christmas in the 80s.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Herbie films
    The Watcher in the Woods
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    The Herbie films
    The Watcher in the Woods

Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo was on TV the other day.

I can remember seeing Herbie Rides Again when I was very small in the cinema with my family.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I really hated That Darn Cat. :D
  • iammeiamme Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Newsies a 1992 Disney musical starrning Chrstian Bale never knew it existed until yesterday isn't even on dvd in the uk am interested in taking a look at it.
  • SonofaBeastSonofaBeast Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    iamme wrote: »
    Newsies a 1992 Disney musical starrning Chrstian Bale never knew it existed until yesterday isn't even on dvd in the uk am interested in taking a look at it.

You can watch it here:

http://www.1channel.ch/watch-18492-Newsies

Just click on one of the Putlocker or Sockshare links and you can watch free.
  • SonofaBeastSonofaBeast Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    The Gnome-Mobile
    The Three Lives of Thomasina
    The Million Dollar Duck
    Midnight Madness
    The Absent-Minded Professor
    Now You See Him, Now You Don't

These aren't really talked about as much as other Disney films.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    'Benji' films. Think they were Disney??
    Bedknobs And Broomsticks
    I remember 'The Cat From Outer Space!' Thought I'd be the only one
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks... I actually prefer it to Mary Poppins, which it is quite likened to.

Homeward Bound and Homeward Bound II - the only talking-animal live action movies I ever went in for, and I loved them. Back then, they were a lot rarer, but these days you have all these 'Snow Buddies' and 'Space Buddies'.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin Hood the 1973 film used to really like this as a kid I think its on Disney Channel still now and again but no one seems to talk about it.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always think they seem to have been on more than they have due to 'Disney Time' showing clips several times a year.

Saying that 'The Shaggy DA' seemed to be on a lot, as did 'The Gnome Mobile'.

The 70's and mot of the 80's was a bad time for Disney. They made some very average films.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but no one seems to talk about it.

You don't know the same people I do...
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Black Hole
    Blackbeard's Ghost
    One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing
    Return To Oz
    Flight of the Navigator
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,470
    Forum Member
    Flight of the Navigator

I'm sure I've seen that in the last few months..
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Watcher In the Woods was a deliberate move away from standard Disney fare in the 80's but it was a big cock up as they had to rush to end the film and it was sent to the US to be finished off without the director.
    It was laughed off the screen and quickly pulled .
    It then got treated to not one but two alternate endings .
    Unfortunately all 3 are a bit of a let down after what goes before.

Not surprisingly Disney don't give it too much publicity.

BBC2 showed it before and the dvd has all the endings but its rather a creepy movie and very un Disney.

Something Wicked This Way Comes is another from the same era made during the days when Disney thought they were dying and becoming out of fashion.

And until The LIttle Mermaid came out they were on course for extinction

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is also a goodie .
    Seek out the dvd with the extended version on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basil the great mouse detective.... that was awesome
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly every film mentioned so far has been airing on US TV on a fairly frequent basis. The one film that has not is CONDORMAN. I havent seen that one in nearly 20 years! I would love to see it again. I just recently watched BLACKBEARD'S GOST which starred Dean Jones. That guy must have been in half of the Disney films in the 1970s! :D

They're not the greatest films, but the live action stuff that Disney produced during the 1950s to 1970s have an innocent charm about them. One film that will probably never see the light of day again is SONG OF THE SOUTH.
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Nearly every film mentioned so far has been airing on US TV on a fairly frequent basis. The one film that has not is CONDORMAN. I havent seen that one in nearly 20 years! I would love to see it again. I just recently watched BLACKBEARD'S GOST which starred Dean Jones. That guy must have been in half of the Disney films in the 1970s! :D

They're not the greatest films, but the live action stuff that Disney produced during the 1950s to 1970s have an innocent charm about them. One film that will probably never see the light of day again is SONG OF THE SOUTH.

SOTS came out on video.
    Many of the Disney and Warner cartoons that feature racial stereotypes have been released on dvd albeit with silly commentators feeling the need to apologise for people enjoying them.

Hopefully SOTS will also be rediscovered for consumption by viewers who are not too stupid to watch this material in the context of when it was made
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
    Forum Member
    Flubber!
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always felt The Black Cauldron was under rated.

It didn't get the repeat cinema viewings like a collection of the animated classics did in the 80s

Also Basil the Great Mouse Detective got forgotten.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember all of these featuring heavily on Screen Test, with Michael Rod. And the same clip of Star Wars, where the Tie fighters chase the Millenium Falcon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for The Black Cauldron, absolutely wonderful movie, so underrated. Not many people know about it at all.
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wasn't The Black Cauldron, the first to be released under the ''Walt Disney Pictures'' brand? :confused:

anyway, Basil is a really good one and i think that was the one that is officially known as ''The Great Mouse Detective'' in North America
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded Disney's "The Sword In The Stone" which was on BBC2 this morning.I don't think i've ever seen it.