Options

Songs which need to be removed from radio stations in the UK

hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
Forum Member
Here's a list of songs which would make me happy if they were never played on radio ever again:

Pharrell Williams - "Happy"
Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX - "Fancy"
John Legend - "All Of Me"
Cheryl Cole featuring Tinie Tempah - "Crazy Stupid Love"

Comments

• Options
    Tiggeraspi123Tiggeraspi123 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with 'Happy' can't stand it.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the above plus 'Ghost' by Ella Henderson. It's such a repetitive song,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Naught Boy featuring Sam Smith - "La La La" also needs to be removed from radio stations. It's been overplayed since May last year.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I don't get the point of radio, playing songs I can't stand.

Build playlist on phone > Bluetooth to car, You can buy the adaptors pretty cheaply if your car doesn't have Bluetooth.

Guess how many times I've listened to that crap in your OP recently... ;)
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by Sam Smith, Adele, Rihanna, Pharrell, Will.i.am, Pitbull and Emeli Sande.
    Oh, and they need to remove Crazy Stupid Shite as well.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldies, where you'd think these artists didn't have any other songs

All Right Now - Free
    Maggie May - Rod Stewart
    Mr Blue Sky - ELO
    Oh Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
    Hotel California and Lyin' Eyes - The Eagles
    Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
    Handbags and Gladrags - The Stereophonics
    He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother and The Air That I Breathe - The Hollies
    Every Breath You Take - The Police
    Copacabana - Barry Manilow
    Summer Breeze - Isley Brothers

others happy to never hear again

Only Love Can Hurt Like This - Paloma Faith
    Trouble with my Baby - Paloma Faith
    I'm Not The Only One - Sam Smith
    Ghosts - Ella Henderson
    Get Lucky - Daft Punk
    Diamonds - Rihanna
    Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke
    Budapest - George Ezra
    All of Me - John Legend
    anything by Paulo Nutini
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I still hear Gotye -somebody I used to know,about 5 times a day.
    That guy must be worth a fortune.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie Goulding - Burn
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything by will.i.am.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree with most suggestions - particularly the first four! - though like another poster I tend not to listen to the radio too often. People do listen to radio however - sometimes because they don't have a choice (e.g. they lift share) or because they listen to the radio for traffic/news/other things as well as the music.

But there are some radio stations which are just awful for playing the same songs on repeat. I try and avoid those.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear Cool FM (NI radio station) has played 'Torn' by Natalie Imbruglia every day since it was released.
    What really winds me up is people who phone up request shows and ask for a request thats already played 10 times a day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What really winds me up is people who phone up request shows and ask for a request thats already played 10 times a day

I know. Every Sunday on BBC Radio 1 at 7pm, they have a request show. Last Sunday I was listening to it, one person rang up requesting Pharrell Williams - "Happy" and another requested Carly Rae Jepsen - "Call Me Maybe". I thought that took the absolute piss. People shouldn't request songs which are overplayed enough as it is.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, anything played by Capitol FM then? The stain on the music scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, anything played by Capitol FM then? The stain on the music scene.

Yes. They are supposed to be playing brand new music yet they still play songs from 2011 - 2013.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Jason Derulo - Wiggle, I think it is a rude and irritating song>:(
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Yes. They are supposed to be playing brand new music yet they still play songs from 2011 - 2013.

It's fine for stations to play an old song occasionally. If anything, I like it. I love it when I hear a song on the radio from 5-15 years ago which I haven't heard in ages.

The problem with Capital is that it has a selection of what seems about 30 or so "old" songs which they keep picking from. Even though there were hundreds of hits every year, they keep choosing the same ones each time. When they play an old song, it's always We Found Love or Moves Like Jagger or Titanium or whatever (so basically all the dance-pop songs). It's just annoying, and honestly anybody who listens to Capital won't be excited to hear those songs, since the station probably still plays them every day.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit should never be played again, Not even the best song on that album....By a long way

Over played and overrated
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A wild guess here as I try to avoid but unless daytime / mainstream radio has undergone some sort of musical revolution I'd say about 98% of anything they play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    It's fine for stations to play an old song occasionally. If anything, I like it. I love it when I hear a song on the radio from 5-15 years ago which I haven't heard in ages.

The problem with Capital is that it has a selection of what seems about 30 or so "old" songs which they keep picking from. Even though there were hundreds of hits every year, they keep choosing the same ones each time. When they play an old song, it's always We Found Love or Moves Like Jagger or Titanium or whatever (so basically all the dance-pop songs). It's just annoying, and honestly anybody who listens to Capital won't be excited to hear those songs, since the station probably still plays them every day.

I think they are prejudiced to alternative, rock and indie music as well. Whenever I listen to Capital, I have never heard any songs from those genres except Coldplay - "Paradise" and Bastille - "Of The Night".
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a list of songs which would make me happy if they were never played on radio ever again:

Pharrell Williams - "Happy"
    Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX - "Fancy"
    John Legend - "All Of Me"
    Cheryl Cole featuring Tinie Tempah - "Crazy Stupid Love"
    Agreed.
    Plus Katy Perry - "Dark Horse" . So overplayed....
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have A Nice Day- Stereophonics. That song has been played a lot for years and in my opinion it's not even close to being one of their best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather Be. I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested already.

Read All About It
    Next to Me
    Happy
    All of Me
    Ghost
    Sing
    Problem
    Fancy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rather Be. I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested already.

I agree on that one. The reason CB's other songs such as "Come Over" are a failure in the charts is because radio stations are too busy playing "Rather Be" which is causing them to neglect the newer songs.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Have A Nice Day- Stereophonics. That song has been played a lot for years and in my opinion it's not even close to being one of their best.

Add Maybe Tomorrow to that.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get what you give- new radicals, has been played to death on local radio since 1998.