Options

What is your earliest memory of TV?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is the first memory you have of TV?

for me - one of my earliest memories of TV would be watching Sarah Platt on Corrie getting kidnapped in 2001.

Comments

• Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I was born in 1960. My earliest memories are Watch With Mother (Bill & Ben and all that), Blue Peter and Doctor Who when I grew into a toddler!! Oh - and the Test Card!;-)
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black and white slightly blurry pictures with lines moving, usually up and down, sometimes side to side.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also for me Watch with Mother, mid-50's.

That's Monday to Friday: Picture Book, Andy Pandy, Flowerpot Men, Rag Tag & Bobtail, Woodentops
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the Coronation at a house down the road, I think it must have been the first time I had seen television. The room was full as people took turns to have a look.
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probs watching Hero & Villians the Only Fools episode...Still in my opinion the finest comedy episode I've ever seen
  • Options
    VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black & White and early programmes such as no hiding place, outer limits, public eye, thriller to name just a few
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,082
    Forum Member
    The opening credits of Worzel Gummidge, gave me the creeps a bit but still loved the show :D
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    A few hazy memories of Doctor Who with Jon Pertwee.

'Pipkins'. I can remember the elderly guy that used to present it (well he seemed elderly it at the time..I was 4 years old)

Looking it up on WIKI.. 1973:o

And fuzzy memories of stuff like Play School, Crytal Tipps and Alistair and Barnaby the Bear...(used to scared the crap out of me that one)
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Watching the Coronation at a house down the road, I think it must have been the first time I had seen television. The room was full as people took turns to have a look.

Same, all the neighbours huddled round a tiny "magic" screen.
    The first programme I saw when we eventually got a TV , was Emergency ward 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few hazy memories of Doctor Who with Jon Pertwee.

'Pipkins'. I can remember the elderly guy that used to present it (well he seemed elderly it at the time..I was 4 years old)

Looking it up on WIKI.. 1973:o

And fuzzy memories of stuff like Play School, Crytal Tipps and Alistair and Barnaby the Bear...(used to scared the crap out of me that one)

Aww I remember Pipkins - or Inigo Pipkin as it was originally called before he died! But I was grown up by then - 12 years old anyway!
    Playschool was another memory - that clock and those arched, round or square windows!! :D
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a vague memory of watching something featuring a talking rat. Evidently I kept saying I wanted a rat but my parents wouldn't let me have one.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whirleygig, Andy Pandy, Muffin the Mule, The Appleyards. on a friend's t.v a few doors down, her father was an R.A.F. Squadron Leader with typical moustache and drove an MG sports car in his leather flying jacket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember 'Tingha & Tucker' with auntie Jean?? Two koala bear puppets!
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I remember somebody getting bitten by a spider in Neighbours while out in the bush.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone remember 'Tingha & Tucker' with auntie Jean?? Two koala bear puppets!

and the secret sign of the finger to the forehead.?
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching The Lone Ranger at a mate's house before we had a tv. It was probably a 14 inch and in black and white, but it seemed like magic.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved watching Andy Pandy. I used to hate seeing the basket at end (the one he climbed into) as I knew it was near the end and I didn't want it to go off :cry:

Also remember Bill and Ben and The Wooden Tops :D
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Pogles wood
    Mary Mungo and midge

And this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWz52-expO8
  • Options
    sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Play School in the mid 1970s, I think. I was born in 1972.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cagney and Lacey for me.

I was born in 79 it started in 81. I'm told it was the only time I would ever shut up. And I'd pretend to be Cagney and run around 'arresting' people.

This day and age it would be frowned upon to let a child watch a show like that but I don't actually remember anything about the show itself. Just that I liked it and thought Cagney was cool.

When I was about 6-7 my mum bought me a tiny 4" black and white TV with what seemed like a 19ft arial you moved about. I used to secretly watch the golden girls in grainy black and white when I was supposed to be going to sleep. To this day Sophia Petrillo is my favourite sit com character.

Most kids shows terrified me. My cousin used to love Rod hull and emu but I'd hide behind he couch whenever grotbags appeared. Same with the Incredible Hulk cartoon. Terrified me. But I did love Wizbit and T-Bag
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    Test Card C then the ITA Picasso start up card with the Associated Rediffusion clock followed by Small Time with Muriel Young, Wallie Whyton, Ollie Beak, Twizzle etc. lol!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing much before peak-time unless there's sport or a decent film on, 'cos the rest is usually just "schedule fillers."
    Eh?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Twizzle & Torchy the Battery Boy.

Gerry Anderson was the man.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Earliest TV I can remember watching was in a shop window in London on a 8" Pye/Bush.

It was Chaplin in a boxing ring when he clonked the ref.

First programme I really enjoyed was 1984 with Peter Cushing.