Cheapest whole foods outlet?

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking to buy a few things in bulk. I dont want anything fancy. Just larger than the local supermarkets sell and hopefully cheaper.

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Costco and Booker.

Problem is though depending on what you want, even these wont be cheaper than the supermarkets.

I run a small off-licence business and about half the time when there are good offers it's cheaper to get alcohol from the supermarkets - with the exception of cheap vodka which is always cheapest in Booker (£9.20 a bottle on offer/£10 a bottle normal price) and Jack Daniels (always £21).

Cigarettes are always cheaper from Booker - but ultimately only by about 25-50p. There is a good offer on Marlboro lights at the moment, only about £8 a pack (RRP £9).

It's real hit and miss. I've never seen a good Coca-Cola offer in the wholesalers, but it's always the cheapest place to buy Orange juice and ice cubes by the case.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I should have put not those types of places (Costco and Booker.) as dont have a card for those.
    More "maybe" Asian/ ethnic type warehouses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I should have put not those types of places (Costco and Booker.) as dont have a card for those.
    More "maybe" Asian/ ethnic type warehouses.

Um, okay, but you haven't even specified where you are in the UK for somebody to be able to recommend you individual local wholesalers. :confused:

I must admit though I can't imagine many exist that would be any good (for food/drink). The whole point of wholesalers is they need to be big to have a purchasing power which is the same as, or exceeds supermarkets like Tesco and Asda to be able to give better deals.

What sort of products are you actually after wholesale?

ETA: Worthwhile pointing out that getting a Booker/Costco card isn't as hard as you might think as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Um, okay, but you haven't even specified where you are in the UK for somebody to be able to recommend you individual local wholesalers. :confused:

I must admit though I can't imagine many exist that would be any good (for food/drink). The whole point of wholesalers is they need to be big to have a purchasing power which is the same as, or exceeds supermarkets like Tesco and Asda to be able to give better deals.

What sort of products are you actually after wholesale?

ETA: Worthwhile pointing out that getting a Booker/Costco card isn't as hard as you might think as well.

it is hard if you dont want to pay for one and dont know anyone with a trade/business. I used to have a Makro card. would get a lot of end of line or end of date stuff cheap.

I'm sure most wholesale warehouses would deliver. I'm just looking for places that do sacks of rice/pasta/ peanuts, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is hard if you dont want to pay for one and dont know anyone with a trade/business. I used to have a Makro card. would get a lot of end of line or end of date stuff cheap.

I'm sure most wholesale warehouses would deliver. I'm just looking for places that do sacks of rice/pasta/ peanuts, etc.

A lot of wholesale/cash and carry places only deliver locally - and then only for a high minimum spend (ie. £100+)

It sounds as if to me you'd be best just going to ASDA (or possibly Aldi/Lidl as even cheaper) they all have large cheap quantities of stuff like that, particularly in the aisles for Asian foods.

Although for future reference, you don't need to pay for Booker membership and IIRC the application process was a piece of piss (not even checked properly :D)
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I have recently started buying sweets in bulk (Kopiko Cappuccino 150g) from Tradewinds Oriental, after initially ordering from them via Amazon. You don't need an account or card. They are cheaper than anywhere else I found for oriental sweets, the delivery charges are cheaper too (they use Fed-Ex) and they do wholesale rice: http://www.tradewindsorientalshop.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Rice.html

They are listed here along with other online Chinese/oriental food wholesalers: http://www.oriental-market.co.uk/chinese/category/food-wholesalers/

There's a great Chinese supermarket and wholesaler in Liverpool's Chinatown, Chung Wah Supermarket, but you have to go there yourself. The first time I went there I was overwhelmed by the fantastic smell of spices and spent a couple of hours just wandering around and being amazed by the huge range of foodstuffs I had never seen before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I have recently started buying sweets in bulk (Kopiko Cappuccino 150g) from Tradewinds Oriental, after initially ordering from them via Amazon. You don't need an account or card. They are cheaper than anywhere else I found for oriental sweets, the delivery charges are cheaper too (they use Fed-Ex) and they do wholesale rice: http://www.tradewindsorientalshop.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Rice.html

They are listed here along with other online Chinese/oriental food wholesalers: http://www.oriental-market.co.uk/chinese/category/food-wholesalers/

I think ASDA is cheaper than this though?

If you go on Mysupermarket and check out rice at somewhere like Asda they have value rice from 40p a kilo and decent stuff from £1 a kilo..
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Yeah fair enough, but I don't buy the rice and stuff the OP wants, it's the sweets I want! I was just trying to be helpful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah fair enough, but I don't buy the rice and stuff the OP wants, it's the sweets I want! I was just trying to be helpful.

Oh yeah not knocking your helpfulness evil_c :), it's just yet again interesting to note the way that supermarkets can beat 'wholesalers' hands down because of phenomenal purchasing power :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a great Chinese supermarket and wholesaler in Liverpool's Chinatown, Chung Wah Supermarket, but you have to go there yourself. The first time I went there I was overwhelmed by the fantastic smell of spices and spent a couple of hours just wandering around and being amazed by the huge range of foodstuffs I had never seen before.

Thank you. Just what I wanted. :)