What happened to the orange tmobile 3G share?

Comments

• jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Page 2??? What a disaster! Well saved that man :)

Good to see you back, hope your good :)

Signal box thread hasn't been the same without you
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Not really back. Still trying to sort my life out. But will be dropping in from time to time.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Redcoat wrote: »
    I've noticed from 3's coverage checker that there is work planned this coming Sunday (24th) in Omagh with an expected 6-8 hour downtime. Since presently 3 only have one cell site within the town on the Gortin Road where it is shared with all other operators (though for Vodafone it's 2100MHz only), presumably this work is MBNL related with 2G Orange and ex-T-Mobile equipment there as well, so with an educated assumption once this work is finished EE's 3G should finally become available in the town. Four years late compared to O2. ;) Probably also the case that once it's done, work that then begin on sites north of the town which for now would rely on microwave links.

There is also ongoing work at a Macro site 4 miles West of Omagh on the Pollnalaght mountain. Only 2G there currently. Will have 3G & 2G and be EE4G ready.

Same for the site at Castlederg to the north...and a few others 10-15km from Omagh.

The upgrades happening shortly in Omagh itself:

Upgrade of an Orange pole to 2G/3G for MBNL on Great Northern Road near Kevlin Av. Currently only 2G.

Upgrade/consolidate a 3 & Orange site to have MBNL 3G/EE2G & EE4G ready. Gortin Rd near Glencam Rd.

There was another but i've misplaced the note i made.

Three coverage likely pretty cack and slow speeds expected from 6pm Friday to Monday 6am. Outage possible on Sunday as you know.

After that it's Enniskillen next although i was pretty sure that it had Orange 3G already, been told it doesn't!
    Forum Member
    Also how are the speeds in Belfast doing?
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very well of late when I've been doing speed tests. I can get anywhere from 7Mbps - 12Mbps down and 1Mbps - 3.5Mbps up. During the day would tend to be the tests that produce 7 and 8 and in the evening it gets faster as would be expected.

They have also done the upgrades further afield although I can't say just how far they've gone. I was in Newtownards earlier and got 11.67Mbps down and 2.27Mpbs up. It's a small-ish town and I never would have got near that last year. Pings are usually around mid 60's to 90ms too which is still excellent for 3G. I've also noticed that even with only 1 bar of 3G at times I can still get around 3Mbs down and 1Mbps up which is outstanding!

It took them a while but I'm very impressed with the progress over the last few months. I hope they're not done around Belfast yet and have something else up their sleeves still :)

In regards to 4G I haven't noticed any expansion at all or increase in signal strength either but then with that being new I suppose it will just take time. I can do what I need most of the time with 3G anyway now that it's so fast.

You any info on potential 4G expansion mate?
    Forum Member
    I'm only getting told sites that are or are about to be made 4G ready at the moment. However i do remember being told it would spread near to Bangor and slightly north i.e. Newtownabbey first part of Spring. Soon indeed.

I'm led to believe the 4G coverage is better in Lisburn than currently shown.

Other than that they will be concentrating on lighting up Derry etc.
  • bigpete15bigpete15 Posts: 250
    Forum Member

Great at the minute!
    Many 3G sites are now being pushed up to 21Mbps capable, I've a few tests from mon and tues of 19 down and 2.5 up.
    Speaking to a mate over weekend who commented apps on his ipad seem faster now out and about on 3G than at home on wifi. So the performance is now being noticed by 'less techie' people lol.

I still dont get why the EE coverage map is so out of date for 2g/3G in ni, as redcoat has said 3 are updating theirs with the new mbnl sites and is accurate to within 2 weeks.
    Forum Member
    No idea.. it was meant to have a big update recently but it never came through. Plus there are discrepancies between the checker and and the coverage plots.
  • Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi. I don't know if this ship has already sailed but has anyone noticed the update on EE's progress. 2000 masts have or are to be upgraded to 3g and also MBNL seem to have revised there total number of masts from 18, 000 to 19, 000 which is also an increase on the cornerstone project. Having originally commited to 18, 500. 500 more than MBNL. This in turn is going to result in some awesome coverage from EE which I am pleased to be apart of. Am I right in saying all the above or has this been the plan all along. Which it is great news for us.

I can't find the link on my phone but I can add it when I get access to the pc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only getting told sites that are or are about to be made 4G ready at the moment. However i do remember being told it would spread near to Bangor and slightly north i.e. Newtownabbey first part of Spring. Soon indeed.

I'm led to believe the 4G coverage is better in Lisburn than currently shown.

Other than that they will be concentrating on lighting up Derry etc.

You haven't been told anything about Ardcarn House or Carrowreagh Farm on Carrowreagh Road being made ready by any chance? Not a massive hurry mind you as 3G is keeping me more than happy as I say :)

Newtownards is a stones throw from Bangor on the grand scale of things so this would certainly ring true :)

I'm never on Lisburn unfortunately but as a lot of Belfast has 4G I can be kept happy.
    bigpete15 wrote: »
    Great at the minute!
    Many 3G sites are now being pushed up to 21Mbps capable, I've a few tests from mon and tues of 19 down and 2.5 up.
    Speaking to a mate over weekend who commented apps on his ipad seem faster now out and about on 3G than at home on wifi. So the performance is now being noticed by 'less techie' people lol.

I still dont get why the EE coverage map is so out of date for 2g/3G in ni, as redcoat has said 3 are updating theirs with the new mbnl sites and is accurate to within 2 weeks.

Where did the 19Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up tests occur mate and what time of day? Would love to see that on my screen :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skippy2005 wrote: »
    Hi. I don't know if this ship has already sailed but has anyone noticed the update on EE's progress. 2000 masts have or are to be upgraded to 3g and also MBNL seem to have revised there total number of masts from 18, 000 to 19, 000 which is also an increase on the cornerstone project. Having originally commited to 18, 500. 500 more than MBNL. This in turn is going to result in some awesome coverage from EE which I am pleased to be apart of. Am I right in saying all the above or has this been the plan all along. Which it is great news for us.

I can't find the link on my phone but I can add it when I get access to the pc.

Found it!!! 2000 new 3g and by the end of 2014 19000 masts instead of the original 18000. Result

http://explore.ee.co.uk/network-upgrade
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skippy2005 wrote: »
    Found it!!! 2000 new 3g and by the end of 2014 19000 masts instead of the original 18000. Result

http://explore.ee.co.uk/network-upgrade

I think ive killed this thread ha ha
    Forum Member
    I'll ask around for you see if I can get some dates nailed down.

Very strange that there used to be 3G in Enniskillen.. I Can't explain that at all.

In regards to the more masts that Cornerstone, I've always said they would be adding more. :) I would what a certain someone has to say about that?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have any idea when EE upgrade work will be coming to Wakefield. Orange is the dominant network here but its not fit for the iob. Slow speeds and dropped calls. My local mast which is a city centre location which I am very close too doesnt even have H+. Any info would be great.
    Forum Member
    Wakefield: Within the Next 3 months you should see faster speeds on 3G, also the 4G signal should get stronger across the city.

However I'm led to believe that the site at Laburnum Road has already been upgraded to DC on EE & Three. Are you trying anywhere near there?
    Forum Member
    Redcoat: Apparently that site is done, awaiting/undergoing testing. 2G is much easier just to switch on.. I can only speculate Voda was down or at reduced levels to allow engineering work.
  • coolmp3coolmp3 Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Lord Lucan,

Do you have any information when Luton's coverage will get better as it has lots of white patches and no 4G coverage in the town centre. Also any dates for Milton Keynes?
  • srw985srw985 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Whats going on with Chester?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wakefield: Within the Next 3 months you should see faster speeds on 3G, also the 4G signal should get stronger across the city.

However I'm led to believe that the site at Laburnum Road has already been upgraded to DC on EE & Three. Are you trying anywhere near there?

Hi Lord Lucan thats great news. No im very central my nearest site is on top of a block of flats in Rodney Yard Wakefield just off George St. Hope this helps. I cant wait for the improvements to come ;) I assume all Orange sites will be getting Tmobile I.Ds?
    Forum Member
    Skippy: No idea. However I think you should try a speed test at your location around the end of the month ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got these 2 speeds 1 after the other in Belfast earlier on while sitting in North Street at the junction of Royal Avenue -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdpj0xbdszrdopo/2013-03-21%2016.52.51.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ghly5baqa0kpfk/2013-03-21%2016.53.17.png

A while later not too far away I was back to the usual 20 - 25Mbps down and up, give or take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skippy: No idea. However I think you should try a speed test at your location around the end of the month ;)

Oooo now then. I shall be checking out my speeds for sure now. Thanks Lucan. EE seem to be showing slme pretty nifty LTE speeds too. I wonder what kind of 3g speeds I can expect having the Note 2 which isnt DC HSPA.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    New speedtest.net app is pretty good. Now goes up to 50Mbps. Also just paid my 69p to remove the bloody ads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    New speedtest.net app is pretty good. Now goes up to 50Mbps. Also just paid my 69p to remove the bloody ads.

Downloaded it not long before I came on here. Definitely looks better and trendier I think :) It's using Paris as my closest server now though :confused:
    Forum Member
    The iPhone Speedtest app has always been able to go above 50, I see 70+ with my virgin connection on the iPhone 5. (Router set to Wifi N 450mbps 5ghz)
    http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/496689226.png :)

I'm liking it as it tests for longer, giving more accurate results. The look takes a while to get used to!
This discussion has been closed.