Options

Who in your opinion is the 'definitive' Miss Marple?

Comments

• Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Having seen the recently begun new series (especially Greenshaw's Folly) I must say that Julia McKenzie's Miss Marple is growing on me.

Hickson is still the real McCoy but JM plays it very sincerely and has come into the role in this new series.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    I was going to vote for Margaret Rutherford, and thought most others would, but went for my favourite - Joan Hickson, and suprised that so many others did too.
    I have loved Joan Hickson in every role she has ever played - she was hilarous in her youth. Can anyone remember the name of the film where she was a drunken housekeeper to a newly married couple?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    I was going to vote for Margaret Rutherford, and thought most others would, but went for my favourite - Joan Hickson, and suprised that so many others did too.
    I have loved Joan Hickson in every role she has ever played - she was hilarous in her youth. Can anyone remember the name of the film where she was a drunken housekeeper to a newly married couple?
    Ah yes! It was "Upstairs and Downstairs" - hilarious film :)
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hickson was good at playing drunks! She was a drunken lady in Carry on Constable and was in other Carry Ons too. She had great comic flair!
    Agatha Christie herself saw Hickson early on in her career and said she hoped that one day Hicksom would play Miss Marple. You can't get better endorsement than that!
  • Options
    fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    Repeats of Joan Hickson's Marple are being shown on the Drama channel - just in case anyone didn't know. :)

Without a doubt the definitive Jane Marple. :D
  • Options
    maximomaximo Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    fancynancy wrote: »
    Repeats of Joan Hickson's Marple are being shown on the Drama channel - just in case anyone didn't know. :)

Absolutely agree - watched on Sunday on Drama - just brilliant.

I always thought Patricia Hodge would be a good Jane Marple.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To my generation at least, Margaret Rutherford IS Miss Marple. The films are a joy.
  • Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Hickson was good at playing drunks! She was a drunken lady in Carry on Constable and was in other Carry Ons too. She had great comic flair!
    Agatha Christie herself saw Hickson early on in her career and said she hoped that one day Hicksom would play Miss Marple. You can't get better endorsement than that!

Another example of Joan Hickson's superb comic flair is the smallish role that she plays in the John Cleese film Clockwise. Virtually the entire supporting caste are brilliant in the film, but Joan really stands out.
  • Options
    Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's because I'm quite young (20s) but I really like both Geraldine McEwan and Julia McKenzie. I have seen some of the Rutherford/Hickson adaptations and thoroughly enjoyed them, but I think GM and JM are still my favourites. Julia was in my favourite TV Marple 'Murder is Easy'. Now, before the Christie-philes start, I know full well that Miss Marple wasn't in the book version, and they took serious liberties with the plot. As an adaptation of the book, it's terrible, but in itself, as a TV 'cosy crime' drama it's fantastic. Great cast, excellent performances, some nice light hearted moments, and good whodunit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's because I'm quite young (20s) but I really like both Geraldine McEwan and Julia McKenzie. I have seen some of the Rutherford/Hickson adaptations and thoroughly enjoyed them, but I think GM and JM are still my favourites. Julia was in my favourite TV Marple 'Murder is Easy'. Now, before the Christie-philes start, I know full well that Miss Marple wasn't in the book version, and they took serious liberties with the plot. As an adaptation of the book, it's terrible, but in itself, as a TV 'cosy crime' drama it's fantastic. Great cast, excellent performances, some nice light hearted moments, and good whodunit.

Yeah I think every generation will have its favourite miss Marple - a bit like Dr Who.
    The modern one is quicker and more dramatic, which I quite enjoy.
    If you do get a chance to see more of the older Hickson ones (eg on Drama, the new digital channel 20 on Freeview) then take the time to enjoy them - the acting and interpretation are super, and the whole production is exquisite, from the sets to the theme tune.
  • Options
    TootlesTheTaxiTootlesTheTaxi Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Joan Hickson without a shadow of a doubt

Despise the ITV Marples for the absolute liberties they take with plot and character

Since she is known as Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote it's difficult for me to accept Angela Lansbury as Miss M

Helen Hayes a bit too American

The Margaret Rutherford films rather enjoyable in a harmless way

June Whitfield did a good job in the role for Radio 4

I'd agree with all of that.
  • Options
    SunnyMcSunnySunnyMcSunny Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Joan Hickson is my all time favourite without a doubt. She gives me chills in "Nemesis" when her steely inner cores shows through.

I am very, very fond of Margaret Rutherford though and love it when one of her four Miss Marple adaptations crops up on a Saturday/Sunday. "Murder She Said" is a good one as Joan Hickson appears in it as a stroppy housekeeper!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Joan Hickson. It's a bit of a no-brainer, tbh, although she's helped by the great period detail and faithfulness of the dramatisations.

My favourite MM quote is when two old biddies spy her in a hotel and one says to the other:
    That's dear old Jane Marple. She looks a hundred...

:D
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Margaret Rutherford is my definitive Marple but I also really enjoyed Joan Hickson's portrayal of her as well.
  • Options
    Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What bothers me about topics like this (who's your favourite X) is that some people declare their favourite supreme and then insult all the others and those who like them, as if it's all or nothing (not saying anyone's done that on this thread but I've seen it in other similar discussions). Most actors will bring good and bad qualities to a role and there's no objective 'best' just which one each individual viewer takes to heart. Shockingly, some people like more than one. How dare they?! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Margaret Rutherford

nuff said

Agreed. I adore the Margaret Rutherford films. They have just the right amount of humour.

Joan Hickson does come a close second though.

I've personally not cared at all for any of the other actresses' portrayal of the character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fancynancy wrote: »

Ooh - I didnt' know, thanks for the heads up. Trouble is, I have to retune my TV every time I want to watch the Drama channel as it's default is 'Really', anybody know how to keep my TV tuned into Drama?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Joan Hickson
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

Thanks for that. Have just been reading the reviews on IMBd. Must watch it again. :D
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up with Joan Hickston. She will always be my Miss Marple.

Angela Lansbury is probably my second favourite Miss Marple

btw I think Elsa Lanchester should get an honorary mention for playing a pastiche of Miss Marple called Jessica Marbles in the film Murder by Death
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

Bought the DVD (ebay £3.95) and spluttered over the Joan Hickson drunk scene, it was funnier than I remembered it. :D Wish her part had been bigger.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    As David Suchet is without doubt THE definitive Poirot (such a shame Agatha never lived to see it) then Joan Hickson is the definitive Jane Marple.

As has been said, Agatha herself said she hoped Joan would play the part one day.
    Apparently she didn't like Margaret Rutherford's portrayal of Miss Marple. Not the right shape and manner - and too comedic.
    Which is true. I do enjoy the Rutherford Marple films, but I view them as comedies.
    Impossible to take seriously.

And like with the modern Marple, the stories are nothing like the books anyway.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Agree with the comment about June Whitfield as the radio Miss Marple as well. Really enjoy those.

When there was a programme about her radio years on 4extra she mentioned one of my favourites - Murder at the Vicarage (because Francis Matthews and Imelda Staunton were the vicar and wife) and the fact Imelda was extremely pregnant at the time and they all worried she might give birth before they'd finished filming it! lol

And I know this is a Marple thread, but must just mention the wonderful John Moffat portrayal of the radio Poirot.
    Apparently the very first Poirot on radio (and I have heard it and wondered why he was doing it) was the one when Peter Sallis played Poirot! Peter Sallis! :eek: He didn't want to do anymore cos he didn't like having to do the accent!
    Just as well. He wasn't very Poirot-like like John Moffatt was.
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not going to say anything particularly original, but just to chip in:

Joan Hickson, by a considerable distance. She inhabited the part properly - on a par with Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes.

Margaret Rutherford was the Marple I grew up with, but she bears little resemblance to the written one. Love the films - especially Murder Ahoy (as much for Lionel Jeffries) and Murder Most Foul - with a very young James Bolam, and a mugging it for all its worth Ron Moody.

Angela Lansbury was almost a skit; should have stuck to Jessica Fletcher.

Helen Hayes - in those ghastly, modern 'reimaginings' for US TV was simply what the American TV execs thought a dotty old English lady was. You almost have to admire her struggle with the material.

Geraldine McEwen - that brilliant description as 'hippie bag lady' says it all.

Julia McKenzie: Loved her in so many other things, but as Marple she reminded me of nothing more than Granny who owns Tweety Pie...
  • Options
    brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not going to say anything particularly original, but just to chip in:

Joan Hickson, by a considerable distance. She inhabited the part properly - on a par with Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes.

Margaret Rutherford was the Marple I grew up with, but she bears little resemblance to the written one. Love the films - especially Murder Ahoy (as much for Lionel Jeffries) and Murder Most Foul - with a very young James Bolam, and a mugging it for all its worth Ron Moody.

Angela Lansbury was almost a skit; should have stuck to Jessica Fletcher.

Helen Hayes - in those ghastly, modern 'reimaginings' for US TV was simply what the American TV execs thought a dotty old English lady was. You almost have to admire her struggle with the material.

Geraldine McEwen - that brilliant description as 'hippie bag lady' says it all.

Julia McKenzie: Loved her in so many other things, but as Marple she reminded me of nothing more than Granny who owns Tweety Pie...
    ^^^ This.

Hicks on is the only true Marple. The others are playing someone else with a similar name.