US Channels that you would like to see on UKTV

2»

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Tas_Has wrote: »
    There are way too many shows on ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox to put them all in one channel. Its impossible, plus it could get very complicated giving rights to programs from Fox to ABC, ABC to CBS, FOX to NBC, NBC to CBS, etc.

CNN US hardly shows local news or any national news for that matter. For the last month or so they've been extensively covering the Ukraine/Russia/Crimea crisis and the missing Malaysian Airline plane.

As far as I know HBO shows aren't just limited to True Detective and Games of Thrones. There are shows on HBO like Banshee
    Boardwalk Empire
    Call Me Fitz
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Doll & Em
    Eastbound & Down
    Flight of the Conchords
    Funny As Hell
    and a lot more that you could be able to fit on those channels. Yes Sky Atlantic shows only the popular HBO shows doesn't mean they show ALL HBO shows, so I do think a proper HBO channel is required for it.

When I said we should have Fox Sports UK, I am talking about sports in the UK that has no rights and no promotional activities. ESPN America, and BT Sports hardly shows that many U.S games, and their coverage just isn't extensive enough. EPSN America does a good enough job though. There are college football, college basketball, and college hockey that are popular in the states which they could broadcast here.

Doll & Em is a Sky Living show that HBO simply imported. Call Me Fitz is a Canadian show that I don't believe even airs on HBO in America (I think DirecTV imports, or at least they were definitely the original US importer). It is made by HBO Canada, and HBO Canada is not connected to the real HBO (the two Canadian media companies that own the channel just licence the name from HBO because, hey, it is a very prestigious name.:D)
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I would just like a channel to come along to try and take on Sky for entertainment.
    Just like BT are trying to take on Sky with sport and good luck to them.

ITV2 and ITV4
    E4 and More4
    5USA and 5*
    The UKTV channels
    Universal and SyFy
    MTV
    Fox
    Sony
    TCM

Are non-PSB channels off the top of my head that show original scripted entertainment shows which are from different owners and nothing to do with BSkyB.
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Now that we have CBS.What about ABC, and Nbc, as well as Tv Land and a Aussie old soap channel.
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Now that we have CBS.What about abc,nbc,tv land, and a Aussie tv old soap channel.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moviesman wrote: »
    Now that we have CBS.What about abc,nbc,tv land, and a Aussie tv old soap channel.

We don't have CBS. We have channels that are a joint venture with CBS (with ChelloMedia, CBS owning only 30%) that are essentially the Zone channels using the CBS brand.
  • Arnold_SayerArnold_Sayer Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    wirewolf wrote: »
    Not American, but I've always thought one of the news channels from Australia would be a good addition to Sky - ABC News 24 or Sky News Australia.

ABC News 24 = no thanks, as it's presentation reminds me slightly of an aquarium! :eek:
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh nice, and from an American perspective I can tell you the full list of British Networks I'd like to see on US TV is:
    I'm glad we understand each other!
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote: »
    I'm glad we understand each other!

Lol, no one forces you to watch US television, don't be a party pooper.
    Forum Member
    Ahh nice, and from an American perspective I can tell you the full list of British Networks I'd like to see on US TV is:
    Why do you Americans always have to be nasty to us? :cry:
    Forum Member

I am assume you are joking. The nastiness is expressed by Brits toward the US. There is no such thing as "anti-Britishism" in America. Anti-Americanism thrives in the UK and it is all over the DS forums and other UK forums (try looking at reader comments at the Guardian website).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I am assume you are joking. The nastiness is expressed by Brits toward the US. There is no such thing as "anti-Britishism" in America. Anti-Americanism thrives in the UK and it is all over the DS forums and other UK forums (try looking at reader comments at the Guardian website).

Bullshit, it might not be obvious, but it exists. The obvious and pathetic stereotypes, the aggression on Independence Day. The casual comments supporting the IRA on St. Patrick's Day, because apparently the only bad terrorism is anti-American terrorism (clearly, only American lives matter). And for some reason, they all stupidly think we worship the Queen daily whilst she rules over us all, ordering us to lick her shoes. Because apparently they've yet to pick up on her status as a glorified tourist attraction or the fact she isn't just "Queen of England".

Anti-Britishism does exist, just not as prominently as anti-Americanism in Britain. (Although to be fair, according to my browser's dictionary "anti-Americanism" is a word, but "anti-Britishism" isn't.)
    Forum Member
    Bullshit, it might not be obvious, but it exists. The obvious and pathetic stereotypes, the aggression on Independence Day. The casual comments supporting the IRA on St. Patrick's Day, because apparently the only bad terrorism is anti-American terrorism (clearly, only American lives matter). And for some reason, they all stupidly think we worship the Queen daily whilst she rules over us all, ordering us to lick her shoes. Because apparently they've yet to pick up on her status as a glorified tourist attraction or the fact she isn't just "Queen of England".

Anti-Britishism does exist, just not as prominently as anti-Americanism in Britain. (Although to be fair, according to my browser's dictionary "anti-Americanism" is a word, but "anti-Britishism" isn't.)

The very fact that "anti-Britishism" (or, really, something analogous) doesn't exist as a word or phrase but "anti-Americanism" does is telling in itself. Meanwhile the word "Anglophilia" does exist in America, and that also is telling. In every poll in America for favourite foreign country, Britain/England/UK always comes out the winner, and by a big margin. As for the stuff you cite above, the Irish stuff is about Irish-ness and has nothing to do with any other ethnic group in America or even with the American-centered lives of Irish-Americans. It is like American Jews feeling a connection to Jews outside America and taking their side. And ignorance on the part of certain Americans (even if large numbers of Americans) about things relating to Britain is not the same thing as animosity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The very fact that "anti-Britishism" (or, really, something analogous) doesn't exist as a word or phrase but "anti-Americanism" does is telling in itself. Meanwhile the word "Anglophilia" does exist in America, and that also is telling. In every poll in America for favourite foreign country, Britain/England/UK always comes out the winner, and by a big margin. As for the stuff you cite above, the Irish stuff is about Irish-ness and has nothing to do with any other ethnic group in America or even with the American-centered lives of Irish-Americans. It is like American Jews feeling a connection to Jews outside America and taking their side. And ignorance on the part of certain Americans (even if large numbers of Americans) about things relating to Britain is not the same thing as animosity.

The ignorance itself is not the issue, it's the mocking nature of the ignorance that is the issue...
    Forum Member
    The ignorance itself is not the issue, it's the mocking nature of the ignorance that is the issue...

Well, let's talk about the "mocking." I do see it from Americans occasionally, but I never -- NEVER -- see them start the mud slinging. It is always in response to somebody British expressing anti-American hate that one sees the deplorable "We saved your asses in the war!" type of comments. I can only think that your experience of the internet is very different than mine if you are seeing Americans mocking Britain or the British in some other context. I just don't see the evidence.
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, no one forces you to watch US television, don't be a party pooper.

Haha didn't you see my comment directly above yours? I wasn't being nasty, I promise.
  • Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I don't mean to be rude but is it really necessary to bring out America vs Britain. I'm sick and tired of looking at my thread turning into wars between countries. If you don't want any channels just say so or just don't post here at all. You're clearly going off topic with your anti americanness or anti britishness.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    "We saved your asses in the war!" type of comments

These kind of comment come from (Some) Americans!!!!!!!
    And anyway, you're Canadian!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    These kind of comment come from (Some) Americans!!!!!!!
    And anyway, you're Canadian!!!!!!

I said I see that kind of comment being made by some Americans. And yes, I am Canadian. What is your point? I shouldn't object to anti-Americanism because I am not American? I object to racism even though I am not part of a racial minority.
    Forum Member
    Haha didn't you see my comment directly above yours? I wasn't being nasty, I promise.

OK, I'll let it slide this time. :cool: Besides, you American people never fail to give me a reason to smile. :)
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I said I see that kind of comment being made by some Americans. And yes, I am Canadian. What is your point? I shouldn't object to anti-Americanism because I am not American? I object to racism even though I am not part of a racial minority.

Whats racism got to do with it? A pretty poor analogy if thats your reason to use it...

There is as much anti-Americanism as there is anti-Britishism.
  • Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Well put, the only American programme I watch is their Who Do You Think You Are series and I think it is re-edited for British audiences. I can't think of anything else I have thought worth watching.

The BBC version is re-edited with a British v/o and is chopped down to fit the schedule (usually removing bits after ad breaks that re-hash what happened pre-break!). The version on the other channels (Watch HD?) keep the original Yank voiceover and format as much as possible.