Options

Anyone else sick of the relentless promotion of Cycling?

Comments

• Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Interesting how you tell us that people who drive to work in cars have an absolute right to get a move on, but choosing to do the same journey by bike means that it should be done much more slowly. You'll excuse me for pointing out the obvious but it takes longer to cycle anyway; why would you want to make it take even longer by ambling along? My journey to work should take as little out of my day as is feasible whether it's by car or bike. As long as it's done safely there's no problem in getting a move on.

That's why a lot of cycle commuters wear the right kit, not because we fancy ourselves as Wiggins or because we imagine we look great in it, it's the right kit for the job. You're welcome to jogging bottoms and a cotton t-shirt; I'll stick with comfy sweat-wicking shorts and a top that has well-placed pockets to carry my stuff.

And humble apologies for buying a 'delicate bike', but y'know, it's better. It goes faster, it's nicer to ride and doesn't limit me in the way that big fat chunky-tyred heaving supermarket bikes do. It will survive being used on a canal tow-path actually, but I don't want to travel at 6mph. 22 is better.

The rest of your post is just the same tired old anti-cycling diatribe that always crops up. Surprised you didn't mention road tax.

As if I give a single **** about saving 5 minutes on my commute by spending shit loads of money on fancy bikes that can't go off-road. It's kind of nice being outdoors, I spend all day and most of the evening being cooked up, so if it allows me to spend a little more time outdoors, I'm happy.

I'm sure your bike is better, but I cycle half an hour each way to work. It'll also go through a pot hole without buckling a wheel. It's comfortable and it does the job. 6 mph?! LOL, I might not be as fast as you with your aerodynamic clothing and 2 grand bike, but its hardly 6 mph, 15 - 20 generally. As if I care about saving 5 minutes on a journey that isn't exactly very long to start with.

As for road tax, why the **** would I want cyclists to pay VED on a bike when I am a cyclist myself. It makes no sense, and it would defeat the point in having one in the first place. If I'm gonna pay that, I may as well have an engine. Enough said.

Just because I am a cyclist doesn't mean I can't see that some of them take it far too seriously, and quite often ride in an unsafe fashion. Not all, but the ones who do are easy to spot. Only tonight one went by at an estimated 18 mph about 6 inches away from my right shoulder FFS!
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    As if I give a single **** about saving 5 minutes on my commute by spending shit loads of money on fancy bikes that can't go off-road. It's kind of nice being outdoors, I spend all day and most of the evening being cooked up, so if it allows me to spend a little more time outdoors, I'm happy.

I'm sure your bike is better, but I cycle half an hour each way to work. It'll also go through a pot hole without buckling a wheel. It's comfortable and it does the job. 6 mph?! LOL, I might not be as fast as you with your aerodynamic clothing and 2 grand bike, but its hardly 6 mph, 15 - 20 generally. As if I care about saving 5 minutes on a journey that isn't exactly very long to start with.

As for road tax, why the **** would I want cyclists to pay VED on a bike when I am a cyclist myself. It makes no sense, and it would defeat the point in having one in the first place. If I'm gonna pay that, I may as well have an engine. Enough said.

Just because I am a cyclist doesn't mean I can't see that some of them take it far too seriously, and quite often ride in an unsafe fashion. Not all, but the ones who do are easy to spot. Only tonight one went by at an estimated 18 mph about 6 inches away from my right shoulder FFS!
    My what an angry fellow. :)
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My what an angry fellow. :)

:D

Haha, nothing could be further from the truth TBH. Having a good rant is cathartic though :)
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I'm sick of hearing about bikes :-(
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .............I spend all day and most of the evening being cooked up.....

Spit roast or a gentle poach?
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    By all means come and ride down my street in your silly costume .

Then I can run you over :D
    So are you actually deranged, or is it just an online persona you are keen to cultivate?
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh noes, a whole day of slight inconvenience. How terrible.

It is if you have to get somewhere local that day. Obviously it won't be affecting you? ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    It is if you have to get somewhere local that day. Obviously it won't be affecting you? ^_^

We've got the Commonwealth Games in our back garden shortly with road closures already. Big deal. It's all a hoot innit.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well me and the kids are off on the cycle track at the weekend to watch the TdF go by, in town.:D

Bikes, bikes, bikes and more bikes. Brilliant.:D
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    I do.

Sucks to be you then in that instance. Cycling in the rain? No thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

Not really. I like cycling in rain tbh. Particularly in the hills.

Suxtobeyou*wagglehandshake*Izedownwitdakidstoo. Etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Cycling in the summer rain is one of the most life-affirming experiences you can have.

I'll be there on Saturday & Sunday watching one of the world's great sporting events taking place in our own backyard and being broadcast live across the globe, and I'll be proud of it. I won't pause too long to think of those people who don't get cycling and instead choose to spout their vitriol and ire on web forums & newspaper comment sections in the vain hope that their views make the slightest difference to anyone.

The event will be fun, and if it comes close to the Olympics road events or the TdF in France when I've been there for it, the atmosphere should be something special. I'll give you all a wave, near Grassington on Saturday, and Cragg Vale on Sunday.

:)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Last Saturday, we were nearly crashed into by a car that swerved several feet to avoid a cyclist he was overtaking who swerved out about 3-4 feet into the traffic.
    tealady wrote: »
    The driver failed to give sufficient room to the cyclist.
    LakieLady wrote: »
    He'd given him a good 4-5 feet. The cyclist was all over the place.

If he gave the cyclist 4-5 feet room then why did he need to swerve several feet into the road when the cyclist swerved 3-4 feet?

If the cyclist is all over the place then the motorist should drive extra carefully behind them and overtake slowly, not nearly crash into an oncoming vehicle. I'm not excusing bad cycling but drivers do have to drive properly and with due care and it is their responsibility to avoid oncoming traffic.

Incidentally the reason good cyclists ride further out in the road is so that motorists won't squeeze past them and if they have to swerve to avoid a pothole, drinks can or whatever they can swerve inwards. On one of these anti bike ranting threads people often complain about cyclists out in the road without realising why.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when you consider how many hours have been devoted to football over the past month you realise how utterly ridiculous this topic is.
    If you want to use the term 'relentless' then try applying it to football pundits.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »

Its going to 'affect' me, but I'm just annoyed that I will be stuck in the office and not able to see them go last. :cry:
  • Options
    dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I support our local highways being supplemented with butter smooth cyclepaths at great expense. I do not support the morons who ignore it for absolutely no good reason in favour of holding up all the traffic as they try to shave 0.5 of a second off their meaningless pb by cycling unecessarily and dangerously on the adjacent highway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I support our local highways being supplemented with butter smooth cyclepaths at great expense.

Cycle paths are very very cheap compared to roads and also require much less maintenance, they aren't always butter smooth though.
    I do not support the morons who ignore it for absolutely no good reason in favour of holding up all the traffic as they try to shave 0.5 of a second off their meaningless pb by cycling unecessarily and dangerously on the adjacent highway.

There are many reasons why a cyclist will not use a cycle path but it is very rarely to shave any amount of time off their PB. Where I live many cycle paths are shared pavements and every minor road turn off you have to give way to any traffic, the road is much more convenient and we have a perfect right to cycle on the roads.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    I support our local highways being supplemented with butter smooth cyclepaths at great expense. I do not support the morons who ignore it for absolutely no good reason in favour of holding up all the traffic as they try to shave 0.5 of a second off their meaningless pb by cycling unecessarily and dangerously on the adjacent highway.

I am generally very much in favour of cycling but sometimes, my patience is tested too. Yesterday evening, I was held up twice on my way home by pairs of cyclists riding slowly along without a care in the World - once at about 15 mph and the other at about 10 mph.

In both cases there were perfectly good cycle tracks alongside the road but only one of the four cyclists involved bothered to go onto one, once she realised they were holding up traffic. Her male partner doggedly refused to shift his arse off the road onto the cycle track and it was clearly bloody mindedness on his part. The 10 mph cyclists just carried on on the road as if it was empty of traffic - ignoring the cycle track. That's the kind of thing that gives cyclists a bad name (I use both cycle tracks myself, they are in good condition).
  • Options
    dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I am generally very much in favour of cycling but sometimes, my patience is tested too. Yesterday evening, I was held up twice on my way home by pairs of cyclists riding slowly along without a care in the World - once at about 15 mph and the other at about 10 mph.

In both cases there were perfectly good cycle tracks alongside the road but only one of the four cyclists involved bothered to go onto it once she realised they were holding up traffic. Her male partner doggedly refused to shift his arse off the road onto the cycle track and it was clearly bloody mindedness on his part. That's the kind of thing that gives cyclists a bad name.

I have no patience for it anymore. If this happens I sound my horn. They have no right to hold up the flow of traffic at obnoxiously low speeds.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    I have no patience for it anymore. If this happens I sound my horn. They have no right to hold up the flow of traffic at obnoxiously low speeds.

Well not if there's a cycle track 6 feet to their left when they are out for a gentle evening ride! I speak as a cyclist myself, too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Where are all these annoying cyclists? They don't seem to be causing me much of a problem, and I drive a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Where are all these annoying cyclists? They don't seem to be causing me much of a problem, and I drive a lot.

They really annoy dan_blamires, it's his mission in life whenever there is an anti cycling thread (this is not the first:D) to come on and rant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dan for all your ridiculous inventive threads and your few days off to consider things, you still don't get it. Instead of acting like a numpty and hooting your horn at legitimate road users, why not get out and ask one these selfish moronic idiots why they see fit to use your roads presumably just to annoy you personally. Heck it's been explained why they (we) do enough times on these endlessly repetitive cycling threads that no matter what subject they start off with they come round to a few people who seem unable to deal with the idea of sharing road space with other people. Although I expect I've now given you exactly what you look for in your other strange threads; a response, and an implicit but false recognition that your opinion has any value.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Dan for all your ridiculous inventive threads and your few days off to consider things, you still don't get it. Instead of acting like a numpty and hooting your horn at legitimate road users, why not get out and ask one these selfish moronic idiots why they see fit to use your roads presumably just to annoy you personally. Heck it's been explained why they (we) do enough times on these endlessly repetitive cycling threads that no matter what subject they start off with they come round to a few people who seem unable to deal with the idea of sharing road space with other people. Although I expect I've now given you exactly what you look for in your other strange threads; a response, and an implicit but false recognition that your opinion has any value.
    I hope your keyboard's ok :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Funny, I sometimes think that about scrotes in cars. Next! :D