Options

Quit blubbing,Victoria

penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
Forum Member
✭✭
This is NOT the Olympics. You were the best bicyclist in the world, now you may be the worst dancer. Get over it. Laugh, and enjoy the ride learning a new skill from one of the most charismatic dancers in Britain. Nobody (except Brendan) cares whether you win (you won't) but we want to watch the progress of a determined young lady giving her all. I for one don't want my enjoyment of the show marred by your histrionics. You are not Princess of Strictly. I cheered you in the Olympics, now be good enough to make me smile with your dancing.

You might even enjoy it...

Comments

• Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe being a wee bit harsh there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Maybe being a wee bit harsh there.

I honestly don't think so. She really annoyed me last night. This woman is granite - am reading her book at the moment - and what she had to overcome, even without actually doing the cycling - is incredible. Okay, as soon as I saw her in the line-up I could tell she wouldn't be a dancer - she is rigid and humourless - but Strictly should be her present to herself after the grinding work of the Olympics. But what we saw last night was the meltdown of somebody who can't cope with not being top dog and I didn't like it.

... I am slightly influenced, should admit, by my devotion to Brendan and I had so wanted him to get a goodie this time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's definitely something about her I can't warm to. Just can't figure out what.:confused:
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    She cried when she got disqualified in one of the Olympic comps, IIRC. You might not expect her to take SCD quite so seriously, but I think she has an expectation of herself about things as well as that which comes from others. I agree that in this case she shouldn't worry about it so much and just try to enjoy it.
  • Options
    cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, stupid woman, she only screwed up her routine in front of 8 million people after all! How dare she feel sad about something like that? Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS she cries because she cares and wants to be better. Id rather that than someone that doesn't give a stuff like Jerry Hall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she is quite a complex person, in the interviews that I have seen and read she does come across as quite emotional.

Stealing a quote from a BBC article - "Pendleton has managed to keep her emotions in check but credits British Cycling psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters with helping her. In the BBC One documentary, Peters said he had spoken at length with a very emotional Pendleton following her disappointing Olympic campaign in Athens, where she finished sixth in the time trial and ninth in the women's 200m sprint.
    "She basically cried for two hours," he said.
    "Vicky had no self-confidence, she had no way of controlling impulsive thinking, she had no way of containing emotion, she didn't know how to deal with emotion, she couldn't communicate well with people, she wasn't assertive... the list went on and on."
    Pendleton says the discussion had a positive impact on her, helping to turn her from Olympic failure to Olympic champion."
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smc81 wrote: »
    I think she is quite a complex person, in the interviews that I have seen and read she does come across as quite emotional.

Stealing a quote from a BBC article - "Pendleton has managed to keep her emotions in check but credits British Cycling psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters with helping her. In the BBC One documentary, Peters said he had spoken at length with a very emotional Pendleton following her disappointing Olympic campaign in Athens, where she finished sixth in the time trial and ninth in the women's 200m sprint.
    "She basically cried for two hours," he said.
    "Vicky had no self-confidence, she had no way of controlling impulsive thinking, she had no way of containing emotion, she didn't know how to deal with emotion, she couldn't communicate well with people, she wasn't assertive... the list went on and on."
    Pendleton says the discussion had a positive impact on her, helping to turn her from Olympic failure to Olympic champion."

Thanks for that quote. She has a very complex character and I find that intriguing. I like that mixture of steely determination and vulnerability - it makes her human and, for me, endearing.

I do wonder if people who find open displays of emotion annoying find emotion of any kind a bit scary. I'm sorry for you if that's the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »
    Yes, stupid woman, she only screwed up her routine in front of 8 million people after all! How dare she feel sad about something like that? Ridiculous.

and she is different from the others, how?
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't think so. She really annoyed me last night. This woman is granite - am reading her book at the moment - and what she had to overcome, even without actually doing the cycling - is incredible. Okay, as soon as I saw her in the line-up I could tell she wouldn't be a dancer - she is rigid and humourless - but Strictly should be her present to herself after the grinding work of the Olympics. But what we saw last night was the meltdown of somebody who can't cope with not being top dog and I didn't like it.

... I am slightly influenced, should admit, by my devotion to Brendan and I had so wanted him to get a goodie this time.

I don't think it's that she wants to necessarily win but she does want to do her best & she was upset because she felt she let Brendan down by not doing that. (she's definitely a people pleaser)

Am sure she can bounce back - for all her vulnerability she clearly has a feisty/determined side to her charachter too to have overcome her lack of confidence to do so well in cycling.

Her attitude & work ethic is a million times better than Brendan's partner from last year & he clearly likes her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peeve wrote: »
    Thanks for that quote. She has a very complex character and I find that intriguing. I like that mixture of steely determination and vulnerability - it makes her human and, for me, endearing.

I do wonder if people who find open displays of emotion annoying find emotion of any kind a bit scary. I'm sorry for you if that's the case.

Oh dear, it starts. I am commenting on a dancing programme which I watch for light entertainment at the weekends. And in return I get a piece of amateur pyschoanalyis of my, apparently, warped character, and some faux sympathy..

Please guys, lets keep to the show.:eek:
  • Options
    cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She was the only one who actually forgot the routine, if that's what you mean - other people were bad but remembered what to do. Anybody would be upset at screwing up live on national television like that.
  • Options
    ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    cwickham wrote: »

This. She completely messed up her routine- I'd have been upset if I'd done the same. Probably felt like she let Brendan down- kept apologising to him in fact... I don't see the problem with her showing some emotion.

ETA: I don't think for one minute it was a meltdown because she 'wasn't top dog'... I think shd was upset because she'd messed up so badly.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    So some people cry some dont .Its human nature , we all differ .Give the girl a break , all she did was shed a tear because she was mad at herself . So what ,
  • Options
    PurpleTurtlePurpleTurtle Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are being so horrible in regards to her tendency to break into tears, you try not falling to pieces when you mess up under pressure. Not everyone can keep their emotions under wraps, so for people to go "oh stop whinging you cry baby" and "toughen up you wimp" is not helpful in the slightest.

Rant over.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the others did not spectacularly screw up their routine.

Others in previous series who have screwed up completely have also been visibly upset (even Matt Di Angelo)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    She cried when she got disqualified in one of the Olympic comps, IIRC. You might not expect her to take SCD quite so seriously, but I think she has an expectation of herself about things as well as that which comes from others. I agree that in this case she shouldn't worry about it so much and just try to enjoy it.

She is not the first to cry in circumstances like that especially as it was quite an unfair disqualification but she accepted it afterwards and did not make a fuss like many would.

The press seem to have decided on an image for her so highlight any crying or even the slightest tear in her eye.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    This. She completely messed up her routine- I'd have been upset if I'd done the same. Probably felt like she let Brendan down- kept apologising to him in fact... I don't see the problem with her showing some emotion.

ETA: I don't think for one minute it was a meltdown because she 'wasn't top dog'... I think shd was upset because she'd messed up so badly.

Just imagine the comments if she had not shown any emotion after screwing up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Just imagine the comments if she had not shown any emotion after screwing up.

Exactly... Hard faced cow, 'robot', obviously doesn't care about the show etc, etc.
  • Options
    PurpleTurtlePurpleTurtle Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    Exactly... Hard faced cow, 'robot', obviously doesn't care about the show etc, etc.

She can't win in either case. I know there are a few people (me included) who want her to do well, but there also seems to be a fair chunk of people who are expecting her to screw up all the time.
  • Options
    NooneNoone Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    This is harsh. It's just the way she's wired. She's emotionally fragile and lacks confidence to an incredible degree. She just doesn't seem to be able to see her self-value.

I'm not defending her because I'm a fan but I think this sort of thread is just an invitation for a bullying mentality and it's mean-spirited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She can't win in either case. I know there are a few people (me included) who want her to do well, but there also seems to be a fair chunk of people who are expecting her to screw up all the time.

Exactly. There was this expectation on her to be really good from the outset- which was just never going to happen. She's ridden a bike for the past 20 odd years- not exactly helpful for dance training. I really would love her to do well- she showed enough to me on Friday night to say there is potential there. Maybe Brendan needs to do a simpler routine next time too...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My impression is that she is very, very hard on herself. This is a double-edged sword - it spurs her on to perfect her art, but if it doesn't go to plan it can be quite the setback.

Having said that, I think she'll recover from her setback and do pretty well next week. It should be less frantic than her CCC in any case.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noone wrote: »
    This is harsh. It's just the way she's wired. She's emotionally fragile and lacks confidence to an incredible degree. She just doesn't seem to be able to see her self-value.

I'm not defending her because I'm a fan but I think this sort of thread is just an invitation for a bullying mentality and it's mean-spirited.

Completely agree, well said. This thread doesn't really go with Strictly tbh, which is always full of encouragement and compassion. That's why I love the show - regardless of ability, everyone wants everyone to do well.
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noone wrote: »

Exactly, Noone! *waves hello*

As Tiger Rose said earlier, Victoria is a people-pleaser - she was upset because she felt she'd let Brendan down and kept saying so. She's on record as saying that she's doing Strictly because nobody expects her to do well, so she can just enjoy herself. When I heard that, I did think there was a humungous chunk of wishful thinking in that statement.

I do hope she can learn to relax and enjoy the experience, and not beat herself up when she gets it wrong, as she will. She's a novice dancer with no experience of performing, rigid ankles and not a huge amount of musicality, but I wish her well.